Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew subgenres?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New subgenres?!?!
    Posted: August 20 2007 at 16:37
I may a bit slow and have only realised this now but, why are there three new subgenres?Shocked

I see Crossover prog, which seems to have taken art rock (which makes NO sense)

Eclectic prog, with no bands in it but, refers to Vdgg, GG, anf KC

Heavy prog, Which also has no bands but, refers to Uriah Heep atomic rooster ect...

can someone fill me in please?
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 16:44
It's something that has been planed by the Art Rock team for quite some time now. The genre (Art Rock) has been now divided into 3 genres, but I'll let someone from the team to fill you in.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 16:48
The Art Rock team have been working for some time on splitting up the sub-genre. At present it accounts for too big a proportion of bands on the site, who often have little in common with each other.

I'll let the team explain the details but the mechanics of the work are that two new sub-genres have been created, and Art rock renamed for the third. Bands will be moved from Art Rock into their new homes over the next few days/weeks. Note however that only bands currently classified as Art Rock are affected.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 16:53
Hooray, finally the very 'eavy very 'umble prog is here!!Clap

I'm all for those categories, it's a great thing!

BUT:

What about, well, Art Rock? It would be pity to lose that term for good...that was the very name of the progressive rock back in the seventies! The prog web site with Art Rock is certainly missing something important...

Unless someone is not planning to throw Roxy Music, XTC and the Stranglers inWink

The bottom line is: people will never be satisfied. But I think this change is for better!

Edited by clarke2001 - August 20 2007 at 16:54
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 16:54
Well, this is good, though I think Rush should stay with Crossover prog, they are quite poppy, but I guess heavy prog might suit them too...
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 16:55
It's clearer this way and much more descriptive of the sound of bands in each category
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 16:56
My immediate reaction was WHAT ARE THEY DOING?!?! But now that I see the motive, I think the change is for the best. 
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 16:57
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

It's something that has been planed by the Art Rock team for quite some time now. The genre (Art Rock) has been now divided into 3 genres, but I'll let someone from the team to fill you in.

Yes, it's well known since a few monnths ago, it's necvesary but I find small problems:

1. Heavy Rock creates confusion with Prog Metal (Heavy Metal), ity wiould be better, despite the wide of the spectrum to call them HARD Prog.
  2. Eclectic is perfect.and the defuiintion is clear and concise.
  3. Crossover Prog will create more problems being that the linits with Prog Related will be far more complex to find, I visualize problems with that one because it's just a matter of degree that is very hard to find in some cases.

But the idea is OK, if a genre so big was too hard to manage, then it's better to split it.

Iván

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 16:58

I can only say WTF?  But what the hell...Stern%20Smile  Personally I think art rock should have been left as a category.

Arrgh arrgh arrgh (foaming at the mouth and falling over backwards)

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 20 2007 at 17:01
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Minimalist777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 17:00
I think Heavy Prog is a great new category, I have long though there should be a genre for Atomic Rooster, Urian Heep etc. Crossover Prog does seem a bit flakey, I mean if theres already prog related than whats the point?  Eclectic Prog seems pretty plausible, Overall this probably a good move.  Clap
WWOSD?
What Would OliverStoned Do?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 17:00
strangely however, VdGG have been put into "Crosover Prog". I wonder how they fit the definition, especially when they have been listed as example band for "Eclectic Prog".

Here the definitions:

Crossover Prog definition

Crossover Prog contains progressive rock music that, though 100% progressive, may have a musical connection to popular music-- whether it be the lack of emphasis on extended compositions, or an influence from mainstream music in addition to classical, jazz and folk. Compositions, however, still exhibit a high degree of sophistication, sometimes outright complexity, and the musicianship and virtuosity is often on a par with established Prog acts. Much like their kin in the established prog sub-genres, these groups will incorporate many major parts of what defines prog rock: the fusing of rock with the structures and discipline of more traditional musics, the use of syntheisizers and new technologies, intelligent thematics, and the expansion of the form.

The defining characteristics of Crossover Prog are a pop music influence that is largely vacant in typical prog rock. Songs tend toward shorter, more concise presentations though still reach beyond the typical verse, bridge, chorus pattern. The harmonic, melodic, and rhythmic structures may be more easily digested in Crossover while not losing the musical integrity that a prog listener expects. Whereas Prog Related bands are generally commercial groups with certain prog elements or players that were involved in prog acts, Crossover Prog artists are predominantly progressive with elements of popular music.

The most representative examples for this genre include The MOODY BLUES, SUPERTRAMP, DREDG, CINEMA SHOW, RADIOHEAD.

Eclectic Prog definition

The term 'eclectic' in the context of progressive rock describes a summation of elements from various musical sources, and the influences and career paths of bands that take from a wide range of genres or styles. While progressive music can be, in a larger sense, eclectic, the 'Eclectic Prog' term is specially meant to reference bands that trespass the boundaries of established Progressive Rock genres or that blend many influences.

Eclectic Prog combines hybrids of style and diversity of theme, promoting many elements from different sources. The Eclectic category recognizes bands that evolved markedly over their career (in a progressive, evolutionary way), or have a plural style without a clear referential core.

The basic features lie within the music's variety, rich influences, art tendencies and classic prog rock elements. Among the representative bands are KING CRIMSON, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, and GENTLE GIANT.

so how come VdGG have been put into "Crossover Prog"? Ouch

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 17:01
^Probably just a mistke Jean, it doesn't make much sense.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 17:03
holy hell the world's at an end

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

All art rock bands are still listed as Crossover at this time, aren't they? Eclectic and Heavy are completely empty right now, just let the fellas do their thing.

Edited by Shakespeare - August 20 2007 at 17:17
FranMuzak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Also they have to be very meticulous about which band fits each category, being a few bands able to fit in all 3 ones. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

I like the idea for crossover prog.

I think this shows the fine line between popular prog bands more for the popularity (prog related), and prog bands more for the artisticness (crossover).
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 17:04
I feel that I'm right to be a skeptic at first (I agree with what Ivan said as far as the terms go) but I'm confident that the art rock team will sort this out. I feel it's a necessary change that will certainly work out with time.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

^Probably just a mistke Jean, it doesn't make much sense.

another mistake: "High Tide" in "Crossover Prog"? have you ever heard them? they are the prime example for "heavy prog"

Edited by BaldJean - August 20 2007 at 17:05

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

I see Crossover as a place for for artists like Howe, Gabriel, etc athat are too iconic for Prog Related but not totally Prog.

But still I see the limits very dark.

BTW: I agree with the heavy category, the problem is with the name, I would go with Hard Prog, but not my call.

Iván

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

All art rock bands are still listed as Crossover at this time, aren't they? Eclectic and Heavy are completely empty right now.

Yeah Jean, right now all the bands are under crossover, they will switch it right!Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>