212 [62.91%]
125 [37.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 00:07

Not a single doubt, Genesis not only my favorite band, but overall a band.

Yes was based in virtuoso characteristics of their members, Genesis was a team work, nobody tried to prove he was the best, each and every one worked for the band, even Gabriel stories and his costumes had a purpose, to explain the lyrics.

Yes isn't even in my top 5, maybe not even on my top 10, I hate Jon Anderson's voice (Maybe hate is a too strong word, but I don't like his voice at all).

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 00:14
While neither are my favorite bands, I like more of Genesis' material overall and get more enjoyment from listening to them, so it's obvious really.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
JesusBetancourt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 00:17
That was the hardest descision I have ever made.........Yes, forgive me genesis, you were my first.
"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water"
              John 7:38
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 00:38
Both occupy my top three, but I have to give the nod to the one that produced five of the best albums I've ever heard in the span of '70-'74. Since that's far too ambiguous, Genesis.

The poll's 56-41 for Yes with my vote, I'm surprised, it's not closer.
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 00:44
Yes is definitely my preference.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 03:47

Originally posted by Sir Hogweed Sir Hogweed wrote:

From Genesis To Hesitation.

Yes for me too

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
magog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 05:25
Genesis, of course...But Eduardossc has already said what I was going to say!(maybe I would have been shorter in his place!!)

Rockin' Chair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 05:42
Genesis are my favourite band.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 06:19
Yes, but Genesis is not far behind...
lovecraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 07:55
I love both. The question could do with being more specific.

If by better you mean more 'progressive' or original then I think Yes probably sneak it.
drumsandbass View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 08:42
Yes all the way. I've got a special spot in my heart for them. Then again I've
only heard Trespass by Genesis. But this is where I stand.
Gorloche View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 09:15
Yes, by one million miles.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 10:33
Originally posted by drumsandbass drumsandbass wrote:

Yes all the way. I've got a special spot in my heart for them. Then again I've
only heard Trespass by Genesis. But this is where I stand.

oh wow, do yourself a big favor and check out, at the very least, Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound. Prog essentials.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 11:41
YES by far...
I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 13:53

Genesis

keep in mind my band list is

1. Genesis (without a doubt)
  2. Yes
  3. GG
  4. Tull

aftre that who knows

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 13:55

As for songwriting, Yes and Genesis were about the same. Each had their silly-but-brilliant songs ("I've Seen All Good People," "Return if the Giant Hogweed") and each had amazing, conceptual masterpieces ("Close to the Edge," "Supper's Ready").

As for musicianship, Yes wins hands down. Nobody from Genesis was a virtuoso. Though they could play their instruments and write good songs, they by no means matched the Howe-Squire-Wakeman line-up.

As for the singing, it's a matter of taste. Gabriel could emulate many styles and varieties of voices for emotional effect, wheras Anderson could really hit the high notes and sustain a note well. I personally give the advantage to Yes, seeing how Phil Collions was trying to be exactly the same as Gabriel. Now, you may call me a hypocrite, for that is eaxtly what Trevor Horn did for Drama. The difference is that the Horn era of Yes was a lot shorter than the Collins era of Genesis.

As for overall relevance, Yes wins hands down. They are still making great music today. And we all know what happened to Genesis. Calling all Stations

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 16:07
Genesis at its peak (70-77) were better than Yes at its peak
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 16:37

Stonebeard wrote:

Quote Nobody from Genesis was a virtuoso

What about Steve Hackett? Tony Banks, a brilliant performer and better wongwritter than any Yes member?

Stonebeard wrote:

Quote Each had their silly-but-brilliant songs ("I've Seen All Good People," "Return if the Giant Hogweed")

Giant Hogweed silly????? Have you listened the lyrics and read history? Peter Gabriel is IMO the best lyricist ever, nobody could tell complete stories that made sense of almost about anything.

No Yes lyric makes sense, except maybe Don't Kill the Whale which is not one of their most inspired songs.

Stonebeard wrote:

Quote As for overall relevance, Yes wins hands down

I haven't heard of any Prog band except Genesis that has been the fundamental base of any Prog Sub-genre. Without Genesis there's no Neo Prog.

And about playing together yet, that's not relevance, that's enduring, but Rolling Stones lasted longer, so what does that mean?

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Charles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 17:22

Wow! I have read this on bothe the Genesis and the Yes forum and you knew it was a matter of time before this thread would pop up here....

I did not check to see if there were any other similar threads....

Yes was the first true progressive rock band that I got into, but all of that change once I heard Genesis's Second's Out

It has been mentioned, and sometimes we might not want to admit it, but as musicians the Fragile/Close To the Edge line-up were a line-up of five virtuosos, while the classic Genesis line-up took time gel together as musicians...

Anderson and Gabriel nearly cancel out each other, but Gabriel still comes out on top... Only Hammill's lyrics top Gabriel...

Howe VS Hackett... Howe's diversity on strings are matched by Hackett, but Howe's mastery of vast musical styles are on another level.... Classical guitar slight edge towards Hackett...

Rutherford VS Squire... Squire's tone and fluidity has been an influence on many bassists in both the prog and metal genre, but how many times can one person try to improve on the same ole' boring "The Fish" solo? Mike Rutherford sadly is often compared to Chris and alway comes away on the losing edge, but Mike when it comes to his bass abilities is anything but a slouch... One of the best compliments I ever read about Mike's bass playing was from an unlikely source, whom said that listening Mike's bass playing is like listening to Paul McCartney during his day in Beatles.... Excellent rythymic bassist and much more soulful than any of his peers....

Banks VS Wakeman...  Wakeman... a master of many keyboards, great improvisor and could direct music like very few only bettered by Emerson skill wise.... Tony Banks might be the greatest songwriter of the Golden Age of Progressive rock, and arguably the most influential keyboardist from that era.....

Bruford VS Collins.. Collins started out as a devoted Yes fan and worshipped Bill Bruford's polyrythymic drumming, but as Collins' music taste expanded (thanks to Bill) Collins drumming evolved into a wonder that even he nowadays can't physically match.... Bill is obviously Prog's most influential drummer, but Phil is the more assertive style wise...

It's a shame that Peter left as his lyrical vision was getting better and by the time Steve was on the verge of leaving Genesis, his guitar tone was expanding and his improvisational skills were just about to take Genesis to another level... What Genesis could not match Yes in musical skills, Yes were no match for Genesis lyrical and songwriting abilities....

Both Genesis and Yes are considered the benchmarks (no disrespect to ELP, Gentle Giant, Tull and Floyd fans) but the influence Genesis had on bands that did not even venture into the prog realm is still staggering....

If I had to pick between both bands, Genesis wins hands down from FGTR all the way to CAS while post 90125 Yes bores me to tears.....

Charles

G'day
W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 17:25
Without a doubt

YES

They are so good!!   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>