Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Ears forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 03:06
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As most PE members are based in the US, I know many of them by sight, but have had direct dealings with few of them, and as a whole tend to dislike the cliquish atmosphere.
I do understand totaklly... Indeed, PE is more North am based, and there is somewhat of a real community sense amongst them (and some happen to party together after the shows)... which can appear as a clique, but it's mostly bon enfant, I think. This may be the case in RIO Fest as well, but I geberally don't hang around, because I bring my GF(she hates RIO and related stuff), and she's kind of waiting to get back after the whole days alone.
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Kind of weird to hear all the poor experiences people have had over there, I generally speaking have no issues with people over there. The demographic is a bit older and there are experts in their particular areas. But I find the dialogue fun, maybe I'm as prickly as they are, I don't know. It's a smaller community and I feel there are several significant industry insiders, particularly on the avant side of things.
Yup, I must say that those participānts ca,n bring a whole lot of spices to a conversation.

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ehh.. perhaps it is a older crowd. It is definitely a more knowledgeable one.. if you want to have fun and learn a little.. come here..  if you want to lurk or be ignored but learn a lot.. go there.

I like the cultural diversity here as well as the age differences.  You have some here who know as much as anyone there..but  you have some that wouldn't know a RPI album if it bit them on the ass. 

the differences is in the overall vibe.  One is warm and friendly with no cliques...  the other cold and detached with a definite pecking order and cliques which probably have developed over many years.

See I don't find that at all, I think its complete bollocks.

Ian, I understand where Micky's coming from ... It can be for some somewhat more difficult to get accepted there: I aven't experienced it myself, but the athmosphere is a bit intimadating there when you go there.

Though I joined there at the same time as here, I waited some six to nine months before posting in PA, and waited double that (minimum) before posting there.

However, I kind of stopped posting here for a few years, wheras I've never stopped there

Edited by Sean Trane - September 08 2015 at 03:06
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 06:11
Fair enough, I deal with arrogant arseholes at work all day so probably have built a high tolerance online, someone has to be really trolly to trigger me. I find most on PE fun, knowledgeable and mildly acerbic.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 06:31

Fair enough, I deal with arrogant arseholes at work all day so probably have built a high tolerance online, someone has to be really trolly to trigger me. I find most on PE fun, knowledgeable and mildly acerbic.

Ian, don't forget that you've been a member for a long time, and know many of the PE members personally. For a new member, the atmosphere can feel quite daunting, and sensitive people like myself are quite likely to be put off. Most of us have to deal with arrogant a**holes in real life, and some want a break from that kind of environment in their free time.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 08:45
I've been on PE for a year and I hear where Micky is coming from. Vibe is different here.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 10:06
Just curious...are those here using the same screen names at PE because I didn't see any of you listed there.
Confused

Again looking over their site I like the layout and board topics better here.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 10:58
I'm using the same screen name on both
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 22:48
Originally posted by Stann Stann wrote:

Any love?

Any here  that post  there regularly  as well?

Any accolades?  Any bitches?  Any differences?

It is said the posters there are generally older than at PA.

Hello Stan,
Everyone that I met on progressive ears forum is very nice. They have a great sense of humor too :)
I only commented on a few posts there, although I've been a member for a while.
Every member on there, I came across seems to be very nice.
hugs to you!

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 23:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Just curious...are those here using the same screen names at PE because I didn't see any of you listed there.
Confused

I am on there dr wu23, Smile

Not been there for a long while but I think they are very friendly and nice on there. My opinion here is valid as as much others considering that they disliked the artwork the second last album cover I made Confused they comment while not knowing the artist was me reading their comments, this said I still like them a lot, they are very funny plus have a great sense of humor and I like that. Big smile 
big hug to you Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 23:51
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Confused

Not been there for a long while but I think they are very friendly and nice on there. My opinion here is valid as as much others considering that they disliked the artwork the second last album cover I made Confused they comment while not knowing the artist was me reading their comments, this said I still like them a lot, they are very funny plus have a great sense of humor and I like that. Big smile 
big hug to you Hug

Here you go LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 03:56

Confused
Just take the first name out, and you'll find my posts... I edited it, because there were three Sean on the site when I joined (including two admins), and I received financial pledges in my PM box... Hilarious thing that it was the third Sean (McFee from ProgQuebec) that had sent one of those PMs... one of my better amusementLOL... and embarrassementEmbarrassed, since I kind of usurp the first name

Confused

big hug to you Hug

Hey Kati,

I (and Ian, I think) have noticed you posting, but only on one thread (and a recent one at that, about creative class).

What thread did this criticism take place in (not that I will intervene)
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 04:11
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Confused
Just take the first name out, and you'll find my posts... I edited it, because there were three Sean on the site when I joined (including two admins), and I received financial pledges in my PM box... Hilarious thing that it was the third Sean (McFee from ProgQuebec) that had sent one of those PMs... one of my better amusementLOL... and embarrassementEmbarrassed, since I kind of usurp the first name

Confused

big hug to you Hug

Hey Kati,

I (and Ian, I think) have noticed you posting, but only on one thread (and a recent one at that, about creative class).

What thread did this criticism take place in (not that I will intervene)

Hello Sean Trane Hug
I don't think it's personal criticism and everything they said has a valid point to be honest hahahaha LOL
I honestly did not take it personal, I gave this as an example to make others understand why my opinion is valid when it comes to PE Wink 
They did not know I made that artwork and even so they were not really nasty, not even slightly Smile also they did not expect the artist to read that too hahahaha LOL
besides this, my experience there is that everyone is so nice and they are very funny too. I like all the people on there so far Big smile

here is the "artwork" link so you can read what I meant, however even this link is very positive at the end lol

Edited by Kati - September 09 2015 at 04:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 04:31
Tanks Kati/Sonia Wink

Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 04:33
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Tanks Kati/Sonia Wink

Hug
hahahaha!! back at ya Hug
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 10:17

Confused

big hug to you Hug

Here you go LOL

Thanks for the thread link to PE,.....enjoyed reading that thread and I did not know you painted that Corvus Stone cover.
Have you done others and art work in general?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 11:54
3 or 4 years earlier I wrote my last post in PE. I discuss with Nad Sylvan on PE about copy or clone GENESIS. I found Nad very gentle and nice person. We discussed hard and after that he invite me for a Concert but Unfortunately I missed this Concert easily because of my job and....
Honestly I LOVE PA more and I can't post and discuss in other music forums easily. My younger brother died in 2009 and after few weeks I found PA and PA helped me to back to normal life. I can't explain my meaning well because of my bad English and maybe its make misunderstanding.
I guess, I will reach to 1000 posts in PA forums tonight and this is very important for me. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 12:14
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I started on PE, but the site became less friendly

"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 12:16
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

3 or 4 years earlier I wrote my last post in PE. I discuss with Nad Sylvan on PE about copy or clone GENESIS. I found Nad very gentle and nice person. We discussed hard and after that he invite me for a Concert but Unfortunately I missed this Concert easily because of my job and....
Honestly I LOVE PA more and I can't post and discuss in other music forums easily. My younger brother died in 2009 and after few weeks I found PA and PA helped me to back to normal life. I can't explain my meaning well because of my bad English and maybe its make misunderstanding.
I guess, I will reach to 1000 posts in PA forums tonight and this is very important for me. 

You have explained your meaning perfectly well, and it is nice that the site helped you,after your loss
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 12:25
^ Thanks. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 13:13

Hi,

Be it good or bad, is not what PE or PA should really be about.

There is a concern, that I have, that I believe hurts the development of the vibe/theme/music that we love so much ... and that is the definition and a lot of its discussions are very sad, and sometimes weak, and the review/history/information section of each band at PA, is also very bad, and incomplete, and it is giving places like Wikimystick more credit than it deserves to have ... but at least it is a better "focused" database, whereas the PA design is STRICT database, and there is no focus or design to attempt to co-ordinate things so that the HISTORY, DESIGN and proliferation of the GENRE (in general as in Progressive) music is MORE VISIBLE.

I think the Admin base at PA, thinks that the large number of folks hitting the website is enough to show they are a valid point of information ... what I find sad, is that more can be found at Wiki, about a band, than at PA, even with the reviews and interviews -- whose/which information and notes are grossly ignored in the blurbs about a band! The organization of information is weak and sometimes senseless.

My wish? That the information have better co-ordination, so you could immediately learn about a band, and its music is showing as more important, than a poor review on one album, that hurts the over all idea of presentation, of the content. I like the honesty and the variation, but a review that is not discussing the music and the art, would not be helping define the band and its work.

But this is an insane request, and probably too big an endeavor ... if PA is becoming just an aimless database ... with lots of folks in its forums ... then it is even more scary that the content itself, will be left behind, and eventually buried and not used.

As Dean said a while back ... "it's just pop music" ... And I think this is the saddest thing and comment ever on the ability and desire to create a new form, or a new expression, in any art! At that moment I felt empty ... no one can create art anymore! No expression means anything at all! Extending that thought, then, what is the point of this board?

I don't think that we live that kind of empty lives at all! PA and Prog included!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 13:51
All I need to know is which site has more conversations about Rock In Opposition and Avant Garde Metal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>