Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trio of albums: Genesis vs Yes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Trio of albums: Genesis vs Yes?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [62.16%]
28 [37.84%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 21:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Fragile and SEBTP are very similar to me - 3 amazing tracks and a bunch of other stuff (''filler''). Both are overrated imho but thankfully there is no Epping Forest like track on Fragile!

And that's why I prefer Selling England, haha.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 21:13
Genesis.

Hmm...I haven't been on here for awhile. Where's Micky? He ought to be losing his mind over these results.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 13:55
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I've been a Yes fan for almost 40 years, and I've still never been able to "get into", or fathom, Tales from Topographic Oceans. Believe me, I've tried on multiple occasions. I always find myself siding with Rick Wakeman's famous views of this album.

So even though I find TLLDoB overly long, I will go with the trio from Genesis.

I sort of agree with you about Topographic Oceans. I do love The Revealing Science of God (even if it can get a bit patchy), but the rest I just don't love, and sort of think it would have been better if the other songs had been shorter. But still, it does help if I put the whole album without interruptions, and paying attention. Also, besides my own appreciation about the album, I do have the impression that particular album is something else, something that transcends the rock (or even prog) genre... and I can glimpse that greatness if I listen to it as I said.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 14:10
I sort of agree too about TFTO - all four tracks tend to be a bit unfocused and rambling, but possibly with much tighter editing it could have been a terrific single album with 4x 10-minute tracks.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 11:07
If you'd started with 'The Yes Album' it would have been easy.  I still voted for Yes, though TFTO drags it down a bit.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 11:42
Yes for me!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 21:23
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I sort of agree too about TFTO - all four tracks tend to be a bit unfocused and rambling, but possibly with much tighter editing it could have been a terrific single album with 4x 10-minute tracks.

Something of the sort, I guess. Though, for me, The Revealing Science of God should remain very similar to the way it is (though I still might like to trim just a little bit of it), so at least some of the others would need to end up rather shorter.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 08:51
Yes Yes Genesis No. Yes always get a yes from me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123