Poll Question: Is faith allways bad?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [27.27%]
24 [72.73%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is faith allways bad?
    Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:29
Although most examples of faith seem suspicious, can you not have faith in your calculations? If we need to have evidence for everything, we will need to have simulations for myriads of things to the extent it will become impractical.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 15:39
No.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 16:21
Yes, ever since I was a little kid she has been bad news for the whole family...oh wait, did you mean my sister Faith?
Well, whatever. Faith is an abstract term that is linked to religion but there are many things that evoke faith without being religious, so the question is vague at best. I have faith I won't be struck by a meteor but not because a deity instils that in me. Maybe restate the question and ask "Is religious belief always a bad thing?"
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 16:34
I don't know whether Fate is bad all ways. Maybe some ways, but not all.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 17 2015 at 20:15
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 17:02
idk, idc

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 19:10
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Although most examples of faith seem suspicious, can you not have faith in your calculations? If we need to have evidence for everything, we will need to have simulations for myriads of things to the extent it will become impractical.
Having an opinion about the reliability of an authority is not faith. No you cannot have faith in your calculations (reasoned thought processes) or they are no longer that.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 04:51
No. Not always.

It can be a great source of strength and comfort to some individuals. What matters is not the irrationality of faith in these circumstances, but the end result, and of that result is positive then the faith factor is pretty harmless.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 07:01
No, it isn't always bad.
        If faith gives someone a sense of hope in their lives, well, I think it is a good thing, regardless of whether or not the source of that faith can be proven.
                 I don't have a personal, religious faith, but I have friends that do, and if it helps them, well, so be it!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 07:25
Nope....as long as people don't use it as an excuse for learning new things.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 18:46
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

No, it isn't always bad.  If faith gives someone a sense of hope in their lives, well, I think it is a good thing, regardless of whether or not the source of that faith can be proven.  I don't have a personal, religious faith, but I have friends that do, and if it helps them, well, so be it!
Although I'm standing by my post in that I don't consider faith to be a legitimate part of any reasoning process as the OP was pointing toward, I agree that it may be so well entrenched in some people that they would be ill-advised to part from their faith for the good of their own psychological health.

Edited by HackettFan - October 18 2015 at 18:48
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 04:23
when it comes to religion, of course it is.... since faith implies believing without (or very little) discussions. That's why it's called blind faith.. if you (the people in general) opened your eyes, you'd "know" that there is no god/creator and that the obligation to adore it is a control ploy for the masses.

Of course for other purposes or matters, the word faith is used in debates (legal or not) about innocence (good faith) or trying to escape responsibility (bad faith)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 06:16
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

when it comes to religion, of course it is.... since faith implies believing without (or very little) discussions. That's why it's called blind faith.. if you (the people in general) opened your eyes, you'd "know" that there is no god/creator and that the obligation to adore it is a control ploy for the masses.

Of course for other purposes or matters, the word faith is used in debates (legal or not) about innocence (good faith) or trying to escape responsibility (bad faith)

I am not going to allow these comments to go unchallenged.

People have been discussing faith and belief since the dawn of man. There has been a great deal of discussion about faith. It is probably the most discussed subject in history. Don't allow your arrogance to descend into ignorance.

Nobody "knows" whether or not, definitively, there is, or is not, a creator/God. That is where faith comes in. You either believe in this, or you do not. Both, by the way, are, themselves, belief systems (realises Mr Laz runs the risk of a further Dean intervention.... )

The obligation, as you put it, to adore is a characteristic of a clerical state. We see this in certain Muslim countries in the present day, and Europe saw it in many countries under both Christendom, and other regimes. The majority of Christians and Jews would, rightly, reject such regimes in these more enlightened times. I suspect that many Muslims would, as well, if only they felt able to do so. However, Hugues, you must, surely, be aware that such States, who most certainly do employ control ploys for the masses, are an entirely different thing from faith. Faith tends to be a deeply personal thing, as opposed to control, which, by its very nature, looks to many people.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 08:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Erm... as long a people don't use it as an excuse for not learning new things.

...and can the OP or an Admin fix the tread title? Bad spelling is always bad.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 08:42
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am not going to allow these comments to go unchallenged. >> Clap  Please do so... even if time is unfortunately counted on this Monday

People have been discussing faith and belief since the dawn of man. There has been a great deal of discussion about faith. It is probably the most discussed subject in history. Don't allow your arrogance to descend into ignorance

My arrogance is your ignorance maybe, because I'm not arrogant... simply stating what I know
Throughout the ages, people discussing their faith is due to the will to find out is others are as prisoners of the religious carcan (you can read that as "straightjacket" if you wish)... and denouncing those who don't is revenge (or jealousy) for those that are not in the same "jail" as they are.  

Nobody "knows" whether or not, definitively, there is, or is not, a creator/God. That is where faith comes in. You either believe in this, or you do not. Both, by the way, are, themselves, belief systems (realises Mr Laz runs the risk of a further Dean intervention....

Let me correct this bolded word and change it into "ignorance and doubts"... and no, not believing is not a belief, since our knowledge is based on facts (as Dean pointed out recently). though I understand this concept might be difficult to grasp (as a concept) for religious people, but atheist simply "don't believe". And that's what sets us free - and renders the believers seeting of jealousy and wanting revenge.  

The obligation, as you put it, to adore is a characteristic of a clerical state. We see this in certain Muslim countries in the present day, and Europe saw it in many countries under both Christendom, and other regimes. The majority of Christians and Jews would, rightly, reject such regimes in these more enlightened times. I suspect that many Muslims would, as well, if only they felt able to do so. However, Hugues, you must, surely, be aware that such States, who most certainly do employ control ploys for the masses, are an entirely different thing from faith. Faith tends to be a deeply personal thing, as opposed to control, which, by its very nature, looks to many people.

don't get me wrong, I never said that the "atheist states" don't try to control the masses... they're not doing any better in this regards, maybe even worse (North Korea, for ex)

BTW; Islam nowadays is "enjoying" its middle-age period (today is comparable to the XIII to XVth century for Christians) and simply doing its inquisitions stage

Furthermore, if I may, if I should be wrong after all (not likely at all to happen, thoughTongue), and would have to appear for "the final judgment", I'd probably get in quicker to this "paradise" idiocy than 99% of believers, because my personal conduct is much more honest & social than most of the "believers", simply because I'd have followed the social commandments (those 10 commandments invented nothing, since they're the ABC of social human life, in practice since Homo-habilis) bar 2 (refs to gods), without being brainwashed into believing mumbo-jumbo... Rage on, believers Big smile

Edited by Sean Trane - October 19 2015 at 08:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 08:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 08:47
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

LOL
Wink
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 08:58
Sarcasm is lost on you guys (but I guess I did forget the ol Tongue)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 09:10
Most of the time, although I suppose it has its moments. I remember not hating "Hand to Mouth" for instance, and "I Want Your Sex" is kinda fun in a time-capsule cheesy sort of way. Haven't heard the whole thing since...well...the 80's.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 09:26
^I remember a dj from high school that always managed to sneak in 'I want your sex' in her set. That and the infamous Grease medley. Yikes!

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 09:38
No....I don't think so, but then it depends on how much 'faith' and in what.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>