Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-Prog Artists Doing Slightly Prog Things?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-Prog Artists Doing Slightly Prog Things?
    Posted: March 09 2021 at 06:21
I'm quite interested in what else is out there that I'm not thinking of, where artists you wouldn't normally associate much with the prog genre produce an album or even a single track that wouldn't be out of place in the discography of a prog or prog-related giant.

The best example off the top of my head right now would be Dire Straits' Telegraph Road. Obviously no one is really going to talk about it as an example of early 80s progressive music - however if it was found in a Gabriel-era Genesis album.....?

Another even more tenuous example - Green Day's Jesus of Suburbia. No its not prog as many would know it, other than it being a suite of five movements. They stated at the time it was an effort to make the "Bohemian Rhapsody" of the future, and the influence of albums like The Who's Quadrophenia in terms of the style and the concept album as a whole are quite clear. Plus, it was a departure from their simple 90s punk rock into more of a rock opera. Stretching definitions to their full extent but as above, perhaps if it was a track found on a Who album....
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 06:24
There are a lot of bands who have produced great songs, that can rival anything a prog band has done. Grand Funk Railroad comes to mind, with I Can See Her in the Morning, or Into the Sun.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 08:20
Interesting question: I'd say that Elton John's Funeral For A Friend is an accomplished piece of Symphonic-Rock, wouldn't you?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 08:30
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

There are a lot of bands who have produced great songs, that can rival anything a prog band has done. Grand Funk Railroad comes to mind, with I Can See Her in the Morning, or Into the Sun.

Into The Sun...good song from the first...I would also say Paranoid and Inside Looking Out from the red lp.
Thumbs Up

Edited by dr wu23 - March 09 2021 at 08:38
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 08:32
One of my favorite non prog songs that fit that feeling....nice long intro ...very atmospheric.
An old favorite band of mine from the past.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 08:45
"Little Boy Soldiers" by The Jam. 4 sections (1 of them repeated) in a short 3-4 minute song, and the album it comes from (Setting Sons) was originally intended to be a concept album but only a few of the songs on the album are actually part of that concept.

Edited by chopper - March 12 2021 at 07:16
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 08:55
I'll just trot out my stock answer for whenever this question is asked:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 09:16
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 09:44
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Interesting question: I'd say that Elton John's Funeral For A Friend is an accomplished piece of Symphonic-Rock, wouldn't you?

Yep, to me it's almost exhibit A for this thread.

The title track to "Madman Across the Water" is rather proggy as well
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 09:50
The subreddit r/nearprog is full of this stuff
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 10:00
perfect example:
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 10:01
No doubt in my mind that the Celtic rock group Runrig were fans of prog, but during their peak period of 1985-1993, nobody would have wanted to know that.  I remember reading a book in which they referred to critics as blasting them for being a sort of "plod rock", and the writer defending them by saying that some plod rock was actually good, like Pink Floyd and Led Zep, a safe bet, while making fun of a few other prog groups.  Their best albums were produced by Chris Harley (known as Chris Rainbow in prog circles).  This song may have a constant and not complex beat but the feel is very prog and stick around for the guitar solo at the end.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 11:33

Edited by Cristi - March 09 2021 at 11:40
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 12:22
^Two good examples.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 12:23
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

I was thinking of adding Elton John to my prog channel, but I wasn't sure if I could justify adding him just on the strength of Funeral for a Friend, but then again, I've already added Fleetwood Mac (for The Chain) and Dire Straits (for Telegraph Road). Smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 12:48
Thanks for "Halo of Flies!"  I saw Alice Cooper & band perform that during the School's Out tour, July 28, 1972 in Chicago! 

Here's an old one that I always liked, it has a Steve Hillage/Gong-like under-pinning! 

Edited by cstack3 - March 09 2021 at 13:07
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 13:09
<looking for songs over 10 minutes by non-prog bands>
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 14:05
"Pepper" was maybe one of the few songs where I knew every lyric. Great song. I even bought that Butthole Surfers album. BHS had a psych and maybe even Zappa influence. I need to rediscover and re-explore them further. I only ever had that one album. Also, is it just me or does that look like Dave Grohl in that video. I know that's probably not him though. Lol.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 09 2021 at 14:07
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 14:08
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 14:14
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

<looking for songs over 10 minutes by non-prog bands>

I suggest Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead or even maybe some modern jam bands. I'm not sure if Phish have anything really long but they probably do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>