Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Flower King/ Spock's Beard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: what do you guys think of these overrated band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [19.12%]
12 [17.65%]
36 [52.94%]
7 [10.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Flower King/ Spock's Beard
    Posted: June 12 2007 at 18:24
No matter how hard I have try through the years to like these bands,but I just can get what is the fuzz they are so boring. Too Self indulgent and extremely pretentious. I guess some prog haters were right when it comes down to bands like these.
what's all think?Confused
maybe I am wrong prove it them!!!

Edited by darksideof - June 12 2007 at 18:31
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 18:27
I like both The Beard and The Kings very much. I don't see how Beard can be described as "a simple rock band".

Edited by Snow Dog - June 12 2007 at 18:28
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 18:31

erm,  you have asked two questions and only allowed us to vote once in this poll.

Flower Kings: Good

Spock's Beard: They have become just a simple rock band.

Nothing sucks in my vocabulary, except a Dyson Vacuum-cleaner and the Earth (Gravity is just a theory and I choose not to believe in it)
What?
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 18:33
I just fixed  it!!Big%20smile

Edited by darksideof - June 12 2007 at 18:33
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 18:36
Originally posted by darksideof darksideof wrote:

I just fixed  it!!Big%20smile
Nope, still can't vote twice times.
What?
ProgRobUK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 18:45
I think that SB are a fine band.  Some of the older stuff is too derivative and some of the latest stuff is weak, but overall many worthy tracks.

I struggle a bit more with The Flower Kings - I like some tracks, but overall I do find them hard to get into.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 20:41
I like both bands very much. Not overrated in the least.

E
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 20:49
I love both bands. Voted for Spock's Beard mainly because of Neal Morse.

proglil49 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:14
Don't think any of them is overrated
I want to be an astronaut
The Letter M View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:26

I voted for both being essential. Why are they essential? Well for me they are, and for anyone who looks for more modern progressive rock in their "musical-diet". First off, if you are having a hard time stomaching either band, start with Transatlantic, Morse's and Portnoy's side-project which features Roine Stolt (from TFK). The first album is very Beard-ish in that Morse did a LOT of the composing, but the second album (their better one IMO) was a lot better at getting each member's contributions mixed.

From there, it becomes easier to try and listen to TFK and SB, I think. The Morse-Era Beard is a mixed bag of a lot of the same, but each album has it's own feel and style, and while a lot of the band's critics slam what I think is one of their best albums, V, for being a rehash for their first four (and purported "better") albums, I think it's the culmination of their best works. I think their first four albums find the band getting their feet wet in different places, putting it together for their best album in V, and then doing the prog-thing of a Double Disc Concept album. Post-Morse finds the band finding their way again, and I think Octane still remains their best output since Neal left (especially the special edition with bonus tracks).

The Flower Kings, on the other hand, tend to make cohesive albums, usually conceptual, and usually hard to pick out single favorite tracks (unless they're epics like "Stardust We Are" or "The Truth Shall Set You Free"). Usually, for me, I listen to a TFK album straight through, and it's hard not to. They're layer their albums so much with shared musical themes and motives that each album is a single musical work in my eyes (and ears), and it almost makes them the polar opposite of what SB has done, which was make a lot of good smaller tracks that stand alone. Not that either of these treatments is better than the other, but they're both fitting for each band, and I can't see them switching roles (with the exception of SB's Snow, they usually stray from conceptual albums, but stick to epics and mini-epics).

They're both really good and productive, and I'm looking forward to each band's 10th album, which, for The Flower Kings, is coming out later this year, a 6-track single CD album entitled "The Sum of No Evil" with the obligatory 26-minute epic! I can't wait!

-Marc.

Edited by The Letter M - June 12 2007 at 21:29
I know what I like and I like what I know. I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose free will. If I die tomorrow, I`d be alright because I believe that after we`re gone, the spirit carries on.
Ghostnote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:33
        I think both of these bands are great, but I like their earlier albums better,
especially SB's, when Morse was in the band.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 22:03
They're both essentials to today's prog fan....they keep the flame of old-school prog alive, while adding their own elements and sounding fresh, if not 100% groundbreaking (in my case, I prefer perfectly crafted retro-music as TFK gives me than *-ADJECTIVES-* post/experimental rock, though there are other modern bands that give me almost the same musical pleasure, most in the art-rock category)....

Both bands give me excellent pieces of traditional harmonic music, and that's something I want to exist in the future. Ifear the day when dissonance and "intellectuality" make my music un-melodic and dry as a dessert at night.... dark. ...

They give me soul-lifting music in an era where it seems the only music that we see as "great" is that which makes us feel weaker, confused, that one that speaks of frustration, anger, depression. (though I love many bands that use this kind of concepts, but I NEED SOME LIGHT in all the darkness). If i want to see the world for a moment with naive, happy eyes, I just put "Church of your Heart" or "Stardust We Are" and voila! Or I put "In the eyes of the world" and I just laugh and cry at the beauty that rock music can also achieve (if not to the higher levels of beauty that for me only the ancient music can reach).

I think, by the way, that the "overrated" term should've been left out of the question, as it gives this poll a direction that may cause it to be less accurate....

Edited by The T - June 12 2007 at 22:07
KeleCableII View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 22:05
I do like some Spock's Beard but have trouble liking The Flower Kings. A lot of their music has that generic guitar sound I can't stand, I feel they pointlessly meander in their songs, and although I do like epics, there is such a thing as too many in my eyes (as well as double albums). If I had to come up with a band that I considered to be pretentious and over-self-indulgent it'd be TFK. Unfortunately they are near the top of my last.fm list...

Edited by KeleCableII - June 12 2007 at 22:06
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 22:05
I totally agree with the T, they are great for the Prog scene.

They along with Dream Theater helped to bring along this new semi-popular wave of Progressive music in the 1990s.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 22:47
I love Spock's Beard with Neal Morse. Since he left they haven't been as interesting. I still have yet to get through an entire Flower Kings album without wanting to put something else on. It's all good, but just doesn't grab me.
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 22:52
ok Thanks kids!!!
the major problem I have with them is that they through all kind of music and styles in one single song. I think that can be extremely boring some times.
If I want to listen to a Jazz record I put some miles of monk and If I want to listen to some rock I put some led zeppelin or the door something like that, but when you listen SB or TFK you don't know what to expect and some of music styles that I just mentioned can destroyed a great song that start so powefully well.
Can you imaging you listening to Starless and the middle of Fripp solo he all the sudden change his solo to some bossa nova jazz style I believe that would of destroyed the classic prog-song.

SB and The FK love doing that in my humble Opinion because I don't know all the music these bands had managed to realised.

Edited by darksideof - June 12 2007 at 22:55
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 00:02
I don't like either and I don't think they're essential in any way, but I am so tired of negative polls.
Speakerfish View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 01:08
They are both essential for the simple reason that they are really big in the modern tier of prog rock. To see how it progressive rock... progresses nowadays, you cannot omit Beard or Kings. I prefer Beard, but they're both essential.
Dissonance; subtle harmonic dissonance
Contemplating and completing the negative space
Romantic symphonies left on the floodplains
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 07:57
Both good bands, not overrated for sure, I like The Flower Kings more.
They may be less "essential" than Yes or Genesis, but frankly I could hardly imagine my collection without let's say Unfold the Future.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 08:10
Last option.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>