Destruction
Sadus
etc...
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 17:06
Used to be into it more in my youth - my favorite all-time thrash album would have to be Rust in Peace.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 17:09
I used to, too, two or three years ago. I paid most attention to Voivod, Carnivore and Doom (perhaps we mean the same band here), which is why I ended up on these boards instead of metal-archives ones. *giggles*

I think Watchtower are included here, and I always found them interesting too.
Horror Bull View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 17:12
I love Doom, I mean this one:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=24606

Smile
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 17:14
Yes, them! What a wonderful band :) I always loved their fretless/stick-style bass playing.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 21:11
I like Megadeth or Slayer every now and again, I suppose. Doesn't drive me particularly wild, but its occasionally rather fun.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 00:49
Pure Thrash like in early Megadeth and early (really early, like their first album only) Metallica and Anthrax is not my favorite metal... I much prefer progressive metal which has lots of thrash elements (starting with Metalllica's masterpieces) and also death and black metal. I don't care much for the vocal style of thrash nor for the tone... I prefer the darker tones of more sinister genres..Tongue
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 18:57
The "classic" 4 are/were good.
The third and fourth Sepultura albums are fantastic thrash (first two were fantastic death metal!)
Death Angel
I  like Testament, but they were relatively inconsistent.
Viking - Man of Straw

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 19:02
yeah I forgot Sepultura... but i consider their classic albums more death than pure thrash...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 19:07
proto-Thrashers Raven a favorite.. just reviewed Colin Marston's Indricothere which has considerable Thrash leanings

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 04:41
All Hail Priest - inventors of thrash... and Randy Rhoades, who wasn't far behind (in terms of rhythm...).

I was completely smitten by all the different flavours of thrash when it burst through in the UK - spearheaded by the band beginning with M that we don't mention, with Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth hot on their tails.

The bands that came through after that were no less amazing at the time; Kreator, Testament, Death, Possessed, Dark Angel, Celtic Frost, Exodus, Napalm Death, Tankard, Whiplash, Helloween, Lawnmower Deth - all exploited the thrash style and I'm not going to go down the subgenre trap - they were all amazing and had unique styles. That's what really got me about it - how very different each interpretation was.

The first 3 albums in the Speed Kills compilation series were like doors into the good stuff - while the only 2 metal mags of the time, Kerrang! and Metal Hammer concentrated on coverage that was almost blind (everything was good as long as it was thrashed, according to Metal Hammer). I bought albums by every band that featured on the first Speed Kills compilation.

Big%20smile
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 04:48
luckily we had Ron Quintana's fledgling Metal Mania available around town, which featured the important acts in the early 80s, it's where I heard about Venom, Accept, Sweet Savage, Raven and the better releases from Saxon, Motorhead and Fate

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 12:02
Accept & Raven, two far too overlooked bands. Accept at least the good fortune to have Balls to the Wall & Metal Heart garner some attention in the States. Raven, however, went limp once "rewarded" with a record deal with a major label. Stay Hard killed any momentum they had rightly built up with All for One.
In brief, Restless & Wild & All for One should be in every Trash Metaller's collection.

P.S. Raven - their later album - Life's a Bitch should have been the follow-up to All for One. It was a strong return to form, unfortunately, much too late to regain the lost ground.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 15:24

^ Not heard a lot of Raven but I would describe Accept as more Power Metal than Thrash.

I used to listen to quite a bit of Thrash in the 80's, my 2 favourite albums in the genre being Metallica's Master of Puppets and Slayer's Reign in Blood.

Other bands I had a soft spot for were Celtic Frost, Exodus, Flotsam and Jetsam (featuring the soon to be in Metallica Jason Newsted), Megadeth, Anthrax, Dark Angel, Death Angel (great for such a young band), Voivod, Sepultura to name a few. Oh and not forgeting Testament.

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 22:54
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

yeah I forgot Sepultura... but i consider their classic albums more death than pure thrash...

Beneath the Remains, and Arise are more thrash in my ears.  Where as, Morbid Visions and Schizophrenia were death all the way.  All four were incredible especially when compared to the likes of "Roots" (BLEH!).  Their newest album was actually pretty cool though.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 23:54
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Beneath the Remains, and Arise are more thrash in my ears.  Where as, Morbid Visions and Schizophrenia were death all the way.  All four were incredible especially when compared to the likes of "Roots" (BLEH!).  Their newest album was actually pretty cool though.

I think Sepultura's style is just at the end of the thrash line and at the beginning of the death one. Just on the border. But if you check the type of riffs and the kind of tuning and the keys they mostly play their music in, it's closer to death. They use more blast beats than regular in thrash, and even the vocals are closer to death than to thrash. Chaos AD is a different thing and a masterpiece of metal in my view, an album that is neither thrash nor death but Sepultura. With Roots everything went downhill. I hate that album.  
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 00:02
Do I listen to thrash? Hell Yeah!
Outside of the prog metal genres, Prog Metal, Post/Experimental, Tech/Exteme, thrash is one of my favorite genres of metal.
Metallica from 1982 to 1989, some Testament, Slayer from 1983 to '86, Megadeth's first 4 albums, Nuclear Assault, Aussie thrashers Mortal Sin, Dark Angel, Exodus, all favorites of mine.
The top thrash album for me? Rust In Peace. Exceptionally well written, technical, and some of the best thrash metal guitar solos of all time IMO, of course penned by the legendary Marty Friedman.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 03:21
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

^ Not heard a lot of Raven but I would describe Accept as more Power Metal than Thrash

Exactly. The only Accept song that sounds much like thrash is Fast as a Shark. At their best they were still an absolutely great band, a good example of when power metal actually had... you know, POWER. Big%20smile

By the way, don't capitalize genres, they're not proper nouns.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 03:31
Accept were strongly influenced by the NWOBHM, which is essentially Proto Thrash. There are a lot of bands/albums between circa 1981 and 1985 which I would simply call "Modern Metal" ... not strictly NWOBHM anymore, but also not part of the styles which were established later (Thrash, Death, Black etc.).
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 17:42
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Accept were strongly influenced by the NWOBHM, which is essentially Proto Thrash.

I think that's a bit of a generalization... Venom, the prototype for thrash, were part of the NWoBHM as were a lot of other punk-influenced metal bands that played fast but I'm not sure if any of the really influential ones took as many clues from punk as Venom did... and not all NWoBHM bands were like that, even. I mean, what would you make of Pagan Altar, whose most obvious influence is Jethro Tull?Wink

Quote There are a lot of bands/albums between circa 1981 and 1985 which I would simply call "Modern Metal" ... not strictly NWOBHM anymore, but also not part of the styles which were established later (Thrash, Death, Black etc.).

That's weird... doesn't "modern metal" usually describe 1990s stuff that's very distinctly 1990s? Confused

But, yeah, the lines between thrash and death and black metal were much blurrier back then. It helps a lot if you think of genres as vague descriptive terms rather than narrow boxes.

I still wouldn't call Accept thrash... far from all of their songs were all-out speedfests like Fast as a Shark, Flash Rocking Man or Breaker. Not all fast Accept songs were thrashy either - Burning, for example, sounds more like like Chuck Berry's Roll Over Beethoven or Blue Öyster Cult's Me262 than anything else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>