Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Who
    Posted: August 27 2008 at 13:15
Not prog of course but i was listening to "Wont get fooled again"..then i realised,So many great songs from a great band,The Who is one of those bands that creeps up on me,i think "im not a fan"

Then i think about all the songs i liked.."i liked that one,ANd that one,AND that one...my goodness,so many classics....what do other forum members think?
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 13:36

You don't have to convince me.  I've been a fan since I saw them open for Herman's Hermits in '67.  Their catalogue of quality work is staggering.

"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 13:38
I agrree ..so many good songs, but like everybody else, some not so great!!

Funny, i was listening to TOMMY this morning, this is so good and my favorite as well.
One i love too, is SELL OUT with all those great songs, Armenia City In The Sky, Tatoo, Odorono , all those forgotten gems.
WHO's NEXT suffers from overexposure and radio overplay...i mean i like the album but how many more times can i listen to WONT GET FOOLED AGAIN,..i know the song since it came out back then so too many listenings to my poor earsLOL

QUADROPHENIA is great too, but i am not eager to listen to it often.Ermm don't know why!.
After that, this is all downhill.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 16:57
Well i LOVE the Who, and you have right Febus Sell Out are a beatiful album, and i love the live version of Tattoo on the remaster Leeds album.

Tommy is a great album i haven't heard for a while but i like Undertune.

Who's Next i think that one is enough to mark to the Who to the olimpus of Rock, that album has great songs like My Wife, Bargain, I have Enough, Behind Blue Eyes and the aforemtioned Won't.

Quadrophenia is a really great and melancolic album don't you think, listen carefully to the title track, The Real Me, 5:15, Love Reing on me Dr. Jimmy, wow this albums rocks also!!!

The Who by numbers contains well and so so tracks, but i prefer to listen the unofficially live records of that era 1975.

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 23:06
They are a great band.
Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 02:10
Excellent band with songs that are always stuck in my head. Too bad the tickets for their upcoming tour are so damn expensive. 
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 02:20
I'm a hardcore and faithful fan....But as a fan I wish they would had never been added.

I like to think of them as the kings of Rock not as Proto anything. Cry

They are the head of Rock not the tail of Prog, OMG, not even worth to be in a real sub-genre. Angry

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 28 2008 at 02:22

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 02:43
Nah, I disagree. The Who invented rock opera; who else in '66 was doing something like "Quick One While He's Away?"

Oh, and, they rock. Created the only album that could possibly lapse Thick as a Brick in my opinion (that being the great Quad).
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 04:27
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

Nah, I disagree. The Who invented rock opera; who else in '66 was doing something like "Quick One While He's Away?"

Oh, and, they rock. Created the only album that could possibly lapse Thick as a Brick in my opinion (that being the great Quad).

of course. proto-prog as term means nothing if The Who are not on that list. what anyway proto-prog (or prog related) music is, if TOMMY is not so....

Edited by zicIy - August 28 2008 at 04:46
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 04:43
The Who by Numbers my personal favourite.

I am glad they are here regardless of genre. The music is what countsSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 04:50
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

The Who by Numbers my personal favourite.
"How Many Friends" is my fav track on By Numbers! amazing song at all..Cool
I am glad they are here regardless of genre. The music is what countsSmile

Edited by zicIy - August 28 2008 at 04:55
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 11:24
hi all and thanks for the responsesSmile

I actually posted this in general music discussions but it was moved here,i have never thought of the who as proto prog, just a straight out rock act.

still i suppose thats not really important,they were just a damn good band!!!Big%20smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 05:46
I dont have everything by The Who, but generally I think they stand for everytghing that was good about 70's rock music. It was heavy, but with strong blues and prog elements. 'Who's Next' would rank very highly in my 'greatest rock album of all time' chart. Love every song.

I also think that Tommy and Quadrophenia are rock masterpieces.

Specifically I love the vocal interplay between Daltry and Townsend. Two very different singers, who between them can take a song through a variety of very different moods, just by singing alternate parts. Daltry's agression works well alongside Townsends almost Gabriel-esque style. Baba O'Reilly is a good example, as is 'The Punk and Godfather'

Townsend came up with classic riffs, and they were always underpinned with very 'melodic' basslines from Entwhistle, and the unmistakable manic drumming of Keith Moon. Great band!
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 09:27
The Who were my favourite band in the 70s and the first group I saw live. It's nice to see some appreciation for them on here Clap.
I think my favourite track by them is probably Baba O'Riley, from Who's Next.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 19:36
Been a big fan for three or four years. Stunning energy. In terms of favourite albums I guess Who's Next takes the nr.1 spot, even though it is kind of overplayed. Quadrophenia never really reached the same heights for me, although it remains a good album. I must feel it lacks the Who-iness too much Big%20smile. Deserves more appreciation: The Who Sell Out. An album that I love more and more as I get to know it better.

Edited by LinusW - August 29 2008 at 19:36
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 19:36
Originally posted by zicIy zicIy wrote:

Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

of course. proto-prog as term means nothing if The Who are not on that list. what anyway proto-prog (or prog related) music is, if TOMMY is not so....

exactly... that is why they were added there...  they belonged there.  They sure as hell weren't related.  The Who did as much as the Beatles it can be argued to foster the climate that made progressive rock possible.  Quadrophenia is a good... even great album...but this site doesn't judge quality... and 'related' ignores their true importance to rock.. it wasn't as their 'famous' incarnation as a stadium rocker in the 70's.. but their earlier albums.. which were simply groundbreaking mergers  of art.. and rock by artists pushing edge of what rock music was..  Which as I've said probably a 1000 times really can be considered the answer to the age-old question around here as to what is prog.   After you cut through the crap, the tools.. the means...rather than the REASON,  and you  get to the heart of what prog is.... was. LOL

Edited by micky - August 29 2008 at 19:39
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 02:57
i like Pete Townshend´s solo stuff so much, especialy his acoustic, live recorded as, for example, this one...

zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 04:43
Quad - "5:15" (1973)

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 04:54
I was lucky enough to see The Who twice when they played 2 gigs in as many years at Charlton Atheletic's football ground. They were absolutely amazing.I count myself fortunate to have seen Moony play with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFKWGlrze0

I also saw them when Kenney Jones was with them.They played Lewisham Odeon* (December 1980).It was the last gig at the venue and Daltrey,after the final song said, 'We won't be playing an encore and seeing as they will be pulling this place down soon,help it on it's way by trashing the place!', Liam Gallagher,eat your heart out!

My one regret is not seeing them at Shepperton Studios when they played a 'private' gig that was filmed for the 'Kids Are Alright' film.
A work collegue had tickets but it meant two people from the same department having the same day off which the manager wouldn't permit.

*Lewisham Odeon was a fantastic venue.I saw some great gigs there including being taken to see the Charisma Six Bob tour which included Genesis,Lindisfarne and Bell & Arc (?).I can only remember seeing Lindisfarne.I was about 10 at the time.

I also saw Deep Purple,Black Sabbath twice(on one occasion supported by Van Halen),Hawkwind,Status Quo,Rod Stewart and the Faces,Rory Gallagher,The Clash,Dexys Midnight Runners and the Two-Tone Package Tour which included Selecter,The Specials,Madness and a couple of others if memory serves me well.   

Edited by Man Erg - August 30 2008 at 05:46

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 20:23

Given my age, it's not really possible to judge The Who objectively, no more than I can judge The Beatles or the early Mothers objectively, since they were an ever-present part of my youth.  Their albums are a virtual soundtrack to my younger days.  Prog?  Eh, maybe, here and there.  The best pure rock band of the era?  Probably.  Live At Leeds, especially given the deluxe edition, is the best live album I've ever heard. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>