Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 18:05
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

here is the McMatrix of political predictions

Trump                Cruz                     Rubio
Clinton        Clinton        Clinton landslide       tight Clinton
Sanders      Trump             Sanders            Rubio landslide

as most do think...  I think Rubio is the most electable thus most dangerous.. though exposed for an unexperienced political shrill.. it was done early. He has time to be better coached up by his handlers and puppeteers for a general election. 

So far in the polls I've seen, Sanders wins against all GOP candidates by a wider margin than Clinton. Of course, those kinds of polls are not very useful at this stage, but still.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 17:32

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ But since Hillary will probably be president, it'll be even worse for the GOP if the Senate forces a delay.  Then they get a Clinton appointee and they look bad.
She'd walk the dog against against of those knuckleheads the GOP can't decide between... but question is. 

Does she get past Sanders for the nomination. If not... does an old white male northeaster liberal win a general election?...

Yes she does and no he doesn't.
bumping this over David.

I do think it will be tight.. as I noted earlier.. I think enough will realize that elecatability does matter.

The vacancy in the Supreme Court... a swing vacancy at that.. plus the rather... extreme nature of the GOP 3 make this a 'must win' election. While Hillary is by FAR the most experienced and capable of actually being a good President (hell it isn't even close) she does have a big problem with unlikeableness and IMO that will keep the Democratic nomination process from being a done deal/coronation tour.. the notion that Sanders won't win against the GOP unless they descend to even further than plausible levels of stupidity and nominates a complete lunatic like Cruz as its candidate.. he won't win.

Now as far as the GOP side.  It really does look like Trump doesn't it.  Bush is out but it does look like Rubio and Cruz are in it for the long haul and that will split the Anti-Trump/ideologically pure votes from the far right.  So it sure looks like we are heading we are heading for a Trump-Clinton matchup.

I think the moderates will decide this.. of course the far right will vote against Clinton even if it doesn't think Trump cares about what they care about.. and liberals on the left even though they don't think Hillary liberal enough and a slave to big money will NEVER stomach having another Bush in the white house. Someone completely unsuited for the job. So it will up to the moderates.. and I do believe down deep in my heart.. and in my mind that when they enter the voting booth they will realize.. if they hadn't previously that Trump simply is not suitable for the job.  What has he done to make people think he would be a good President.. running a business ... just like the GOP to think that leading a country is akin to running a business.  Not anything like it.

between the two of them.  Hillary wins, not particulary big, nor particularly tight. The south and midwest will go GOP as they always have.. always will. Hillary takes the big blue states and the rapidly emerging blue swing states like Colorado, Virginia, and North Carolina. Tight.. very tight popular vote. Not particularly close in the electoral college.  That is what poli sci people have seen .. the math really does favor the democratic side in close matchups. It should be a lot of fun .. and will be to see Trump and Clinton go toe to toe. Oh I do have a thing for Hillary.. always have.. but damn.. that woman is tougher than most men I know. I wouldn't want to meet her in a dark alley... unless was wearing leather and carrying a whip LOL

Oh I wouldn't want to cross her.   She'll kill you.   Makes Trump look like Mr. Rogers ... or like a little girl.

And yeah presumably Rubio is the most electable, but that's because he's the most intelligent and that usually doesn't count.   Frankly I'm surprised Cruz has gotten so far, he's like an evangelist.   Gimme a break.

Edited by Atavachron - February 21 2016 at 17:33
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 17:10
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

next i will make a thread about Norwegian politics :D

pfffff... sounds like a yawn fest.   I'll give you all credit enough to not have the same sh*t house crazy candidates and wacky irrational voters that support them there that we have here. Politics isn't simply politics here.. it is the 3rd wheel of all things entertainment.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 15:48
next i will make a thread about Norwegian politics :D
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 15:44
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

What is worse than a loony such as Trump in power?

A theocrat.

but Trump is a theocrat; he believes in the God Mammon

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 15:41

What is worse than a loony such as Trump in power?

A theocrat.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 13:38
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 13:33

What is worse than a loony such as Trump in power? Simple, the continuation in power of a global liberal elite massively out of touch with the hopes and fears of ordinary people. Unless we find a middle, and new, way of governing, we are all in for very difficult times.

Perceptive as always, Steve. I find the choices in U.S. elections, whether Demoblican or Republocrat, drifting further and further from the sort of person that I would prefer to vote for. Things are getting so divisive that even mentioning finding a middle ground or bipartisanship translates into capitulation bordering on treason. Working for the greater good of most Americans is no longer even feasible. Politics is now the art of making the possible impossible.

And what do we get? Congress tries to override Obamacare more than 50 times, although everyone involved openly acknowledges such a bill won't pass. Congress spends more time worrying about women's vaginas and what adult gay couple's prefer to do in the privacy of their own home, rather than fixing the nation's crumbling infrastructure of highways and bridges. The middle class has eroded to the point that real wages can purchase far less than what one could in the 1990s, but CEOs and the top 1% of earners have had decades of obscene profit, aided by slush funds from shadowy sources that are now openly flaunted as the pimp plutocrats whore out their prostitute politicians (and both Republicans and Democrats suck at the same Wall Street teat).

I'm sick of it.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 13:07

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

mark also that it is by far not only the "nice liberal ones" that have failed these people. I sincerely doubt anyone would coin George W. Bush a "nice liberal", but he has failed these people just the same

I said the metropolitan liberal establishment, not liberal in terms of political factions. There is a difference, and Bush was as establishment as you can get, supported, as he was, by big corporations and the like.

Also, by the way, I didn't equate uneducated with stupid. Indeed, the anti establishment waves coming over the working class indigenous populations is, if anything, an entirely rational and sensible thrust against how they are being treated.
you said "For these people, nice liberal governments have been an utter disaster", and I would not call the Bush government that. no-one who releases anything like the patriot act (which should better be called "unpatriot act" since it is against everything the USA is supposed to stand for; it reminds me of the McCarthy era) can be called liberal, in whatever sense of the word

Jean, I will make one more attempt to explain myself. You are referring to Bush, correctly, as a Conservative politician. Clinton, by contrast, was a Liberal politician. Note the capital letters. They describe their factional politics.

What unites them? They are both part of the metropolitan liberal establishment. It was that I meant by nice liberal governments. I used the lower case very deliberately, and I believe that most people who have even a passing interest in societal politics will understand the very distinct difference between the lower and upper case. For example, although both would try to persuade the populace that they were, in their Liberal and Conservative politics, "radical", and changed society indubitably for the better, they were not, and did not. Neither changed the overall consensus of big business and rich, powerful, elites governing and shaping us one jot. Why? Well, because they were both a product of said establishment, as is, of course, Hilary. In this country, swap Clinton and Bush for Blair and Cameron/Osbourne.

Would Trump be any better? Nope. Trump is a chancer who sees his chance to tap into that zeitgeist. Worse, he appears to be a genuine demogogue. However, the masses who appear to be flocking to his standard represent a very real, and growing, disenchantment with the established order. One day, that movement will win power in a mature democracy, and then we will see politics become rather interesting again.

I fully understood you; I just don't agree with your terminology

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 13:04
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Remember that the European meaning of "liberal" is not the same as it is here in the US. Here it is more or less synonymous with progressive, while in Europe it stands more for "free-market supporter".

As to the reason why white low-wage earners vote GOP, I think it was John Steinbeck who said something about American poor seeing themselves as temporarily embarrassed millionaires - which  brings me back to the whole lot of bunk called the American dream, and this country's self-destructive worship of wealth and success.

Well, in Germany we have the FDP, "Freie Demokratische Partei". "Free (or Liberal. though in German "liberal" is not the immediate association with "Frei") Democratic Party", our liberals) that stands for both meanings of the word "liberal".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

mark also that it is by far not only the "nice liberal ones" that have failed these people. I sincerely doubt anyone would coin George W. Bush a "nice liberal", but he has failed these people just the same

I said the metropolitan liberal establishment, not liberal in terms of political factions. There is a difference, and Bush was as establishment as you can get, supported, as he was, by big corporations and the like.

Also, by the way, I didn't equate uneducated with stupid. Indeed, the anti establishment waves coming over the working class indigenous populations is, if anything, an entirely rational and sensible thrust against how they are being treated.
you said "For these people, nice liberal governments have been an utter disaster", and I would not call the Bush government that. no-one who releases anything like the patriot act (which should better be called "unpatriot act" since it is against everything the USA is supposed to stand for; it reminds me of the McCarthy era) can be called liberal, in whatever sense of the word

Jean, I will make one more attempt to explain myself. You are referring to Bush, correctly, as a Conservative politician. Clinton, by contrast, was a Liberal politician. Note the capital letters. They describe their factional politics.

What unites them? They are both part of the metropolitan liberal establishment. It was that I meant by nice liberal governments. I used the lower case very deliberately, and I believe that most people who have even a passing interest in societal politics will understand the very distinct difference between the lower and upper case. For example, although both would try to persuade the populace that they were, in their Liberal and Conservative politics, "radical", and changed society indubitably for the better, they were not, and did not. Neither changed the overall consensus of big business and rich, powerful, elites governing and shaping us one jot. Why? Well, because they were both a product of said establishment, as is, of course, Hilary. In this country, swap Clinton and Bush for Blair and Cameron/Osbourne.

Would Trump be any better? Nope. Trump is a chancer who sees his chance to tap into that zeitgeist. Worse, he appears to be a genuine demogogue. However, the masses who appear to be flocking to his standard represent a very real, and growing, disenchantment with the established order. One day, that movement will win power in a mature democracy, and then we will see politics become rather interesting again.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 12:56
hahahha... I like that.  I am going to make a label for my shirt pocket at the next corporate meeting..

goodby Michael.. hello temporarily embarrassed millionaire
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 12:52
Remember that the European meaning of "liberal" is not the same as it is here in the US. Here it is more or less synonymous with progressive, while in Europe it stands more for "free-market supporter".

As to the reason why white low-wage earners vote GOP, I think it was John Steinbeck who said something about American poor seeing themselves as temporarily embarrassed millionaires - which  brings me back to the whole lot of bunk called the American dream, and this country's self-destructive worship of wealth and success.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 12:29

Edited by BaldJean - February 21 2016 at 12:30

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 12:28
I don't think there is an answer...   it is likely the greatest political scam ever conceived.  You read it here first

The GOP somehow convinced people that is was more important to be concerned about what other people were doing in their own personal lives ..people you don't even know ..what they were doing to their bodies.. who they  were sleeping with or even marrying than they are about their own financial well being.. or even that of their children.

brilliant man... got to give it to them. And you thought those who gave us Willie Horton were brilliant.. it was only the opening move of the triumph of politics of fear over the politics of self preservation LOL

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 12:16

^ My late brother, a  liberal democrat, used to ask me that same question all the time. Why do these white low wage earners (and many middle class people) vote for these rich Republicans who could care less for them? Why do they vote against their best interests when it's the Dems who have probably helped them far more over the years?  Never had a good  answer for him.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 12:13

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 11:27
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

no doubt darling.. but I think Steve hit that particular nail directly on the head in his post prior to yours.

Agreed. However, many of those people are also those who in the past repeatedly voted for the people Steve listed, and fell for bunk such as the American dream.

nah.. I don't think anyone falls for that crap. It's just something we tell ourselves to make us feel superior but no one really believes that.  During Reagan we started the slide and it continues today into a country of haves.. and have nots. The destruction of the middle class has in all honesty been the one aspect of society that worrys me the most... yet seems completely unimporant to most.

Again.. someone remind me.  Time to enlist our right wing friends on the forum.. we know you are out there. Don't be shy...

so why on earth do people, the core GOP voter, who are generally uneducated low wage earners support these jokers.  I heard a un PC but all too true comparison to 'southern Wal-Mart worker voting GOP makes as much sense as a member of a certain religion hailing a certain historical figure.

It makes no sense... and thus the GOP was empowered to wreck the middle class. Enriching their real support big business.. all while getting the votes of those hurt most by it.

my god.. say what you will about the GOP.  But man oh man are there some smart devious folk over there. How they pulled off that one.. making people care more about if two men are married than if they can move out of their frickin mobile homes into ... you know.. real houses and actually earn a good living instead of seeing what I read about yesterday. A company loses millions... workers pay the price..  thousands laid off.. the CEO?  Millions of dollars in bonus's.  That is the GOP economic model.. and their core voters lap it up...

whatever...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 11:10

Edited by BaldJean - February 21 2016 at 11:11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146>