Topic ClosedSci-Fi in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 23:22
What  you exclude is interesting since I find a lot of fantasy elements in Olias of Sunhillow.  Starship Trooper has that Sci-Fi theme of course, but so do a lot of Yes songs: Yours Is No Disgrace, And You and I, Gates of Delirium.  I also find it in Turn of the Century to an extent, and Awaken.  Tons of songs.  Too many for me to list here at this time of night after celebrating the holiday.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 22:55
The ongoing thread on "The Prog Mind" has generated some great discussion about the role of science fiction in prog, either as inspiration for music or as a product of the music itself!  Some great examples;

a) the soundtracks to movies "Forbidden Planet" and "Bladerunner," both of which had fantastic prog elements!  FP had one of the earliest synth music soundtracks, and the story was amazing!  "Bladerunner" was pure genius, with a soundtrack by Vangelis! 

b) specific songs or LPs including "Watcher of the Skies" by Genesis, "Karn Evil 9" by ELP etc.  

c) prog albums that, in and of themselves, are significant works of science fiction!  I like Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" as an example!  

I'd love for PA forum members to take this and run with it!  I'm not as interested in sword & sorcery/fantasy, but take it where you will!  Cheers, Charles!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415