Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs This The Life We Really Want?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 11:15
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A new Roger Waters album discussion thread with no word yet from Lazland? If Laz doesn't surface in three days, let's send out a search party and hope for the best!!

He sent me an email......He has been trying to post but is on his 419th attempt to get thru captcha. Persistent little bugger....
:)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 06:50

A new Roger Waters album discussion thread with no word yet from Lazland? If Laz doesn't surface in three days, let's send out a search party and hope for the best!!

he's been identified as and a robot and annihilated by Craptcha
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 04:23
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 21:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I borrowed the CD from a friend, pretty much agree here with those that are in the mehhh camp. I'm not a big Waters fan, but that's prolly cause I am a big Gilmour fan. 
There are some moments, musically, but IMO nothing like Rattle That Lock. Which has a more fluid pattern and how can you ignore Gilmour's playing and singing...Huge props to Polly Samson!!

I gave the CD back and have zero intentions of buying it.

Good to hear someone who liked Rattle that Lock. I really liked that album very much... my favourite from Gilmour... the most consistent one. This Waters one, I just got it, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but it has no Gilmour guitar solos, nor are the vocals as good. In general, I think the music is better with the Gilmour one, even if it's nothing new.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 10:59
I borrowed the CD from a friend, pretty much agree here with those that are in the mehhh camp. I'm not a big Waters fan, but that's prolly cause I am a big Gilmour fan. 
There are some moments, musically, but IMO nothing like Rattle That Lock. Which has a more fluid pattern and how can you ignore Gilmour's playing and singing...Huge props to Polly Samson!!

I gave the CD back and have zero intentions of buying it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 07:58
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Can't we have both?!

I don't know, Steve...when you're younger it's so much `cooler' to like Waters over Gilmour, etc (same too goes for Lennon over McCartney)...because they're the `edgier' ones with more weight to their material. Easy to get caught up in the `Waters IS Floyd and that's it' nonsense.

But when you add up all the nasty comments, feuds, dismissal of the others work, the heavy-handed lyrics. etc...I just find myself more drawn over to the `lighter' ones. Personally these days I'd take a warm Gilmour solo, that mellow voice and more melodic approach over Water's self-indulgent, histrionic, tiresome ego. (mind you, that's still coming from someone who digs the new album, `The Final Cut', etc etc!).

Hmmm, I'm trying to make a point but essentially falling flat!
 I don't know. I've played air guitar to Comfortably Numb, but I've never played air guitar to Eleanor Rigby. LOL

Edited by SteveG - June 12 2017 at 10:39
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 07:12
"Wait For Her" was written by the Palestinian Poet Mahmoud Darwish. For me it's the only other poetry interpretation since Syd's "Golden Hair".
Plus I think the reason the album was shorter than Amused To Death was Nigel asked Roger how long DSOTM was.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 06:44
It's not that the album `sounds Floydian' from an atmospheric/conceptual point of view, but littered throughout the album are so many lazy moments that are almost straight remakes of earlier tracks. Pretty much all the acoustic guitar passages sound like variations on the same `Pigs on the Wing'/'Mother' chords (I mean, just start singing the lyrics of those songs and they pretty much slot right in...I know when I first got the album I started accidently singing the words of `Mother' and they fit in perfectly before I even knew what I'd done!). `Smell the Roses' comes very close to `Have a Cigar', ditto `Picture That' to `Sheep'.

It sounds like Godrich might be a die-hard Floyd fan, but instead of crafting music in the style of Floyd, he kind of settled for `songs that sound very much like past Floyd songs but with just the most minute of detail changes to stop it being complete forgery' in several parts of the album.

Hmmm, you might be right about the subject change...oddly the album only 55 minutes, when wasn't `Amused to Death' somewhere close to the full 80 CD limit? That crammed in a hell of a lot of subjects, so I was very surprised this one didn't run as long.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 12 2017 at 06:45
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 06:29
Michael, in another thread D vs R round 6, you say that Godricj built around Waters' acoustic guitar strumming, but how do you figure this sounds more like a Floyd album, rather than a Radiohead album... Yup, this sounds Floydish, but then again which Waters album doesn't??

There are two or three places where Godrich's production is flawed IMHO:
The first is the alarm... it's good to have one there, but it's too loud and ends the song abruptly (this is good, but we wanted more of that song.
Then there is an annoying KB drone in one of the middle song, which overstays its welcome
The second alarm is not nearly as well placed
I also find a sudden change of subject halfway through the album.... Somehow, Rog seems more concerned with the place of women in society and how they are getting abused. Before that point, he was more concerned with the planet
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 05:49
Eh, the last time I heard The Lamb, I lowered the volume and read actual literature Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 05:24
Must be why you dig Peter Hammill/Van der Graaf Generator and `The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' so much, eh Sam?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 05:21
I don't think I'm in any camp, but when an artist gives much more thought to the lyrical content than the music itself, it's generally not for me. If I don't find it instrumentally interesting, I don't even care about lyrics.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 04:38
Can't we have both?!

I don't know, Steve...when you're younger it's so much `cooler' to like Waters over Gilmour, etc (same too goes for Lennon over McCartney)...because they're the `edgier' ones with more weight to their material. Easy to get caught up in the `Waters IS Floyd and that's it' nonsense.

But when you add up all the nasty comments, feuds, dismissal of the others work, the heavy-handed lyrics. etc...I just find myself more drawn over to the `lighter' ones. Personally these days I'd take a warm Gilmour solo, that mellow voice and more melodic approach over Water's self-indulgent, histrionic, tiresome ego. (mind you, that's still coming from someone who digs the new album, `The Final Cut', etc etc!).

Hmmm, I'm trying to make a point but essentially falling flat!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 04:16
I believe this is one of those "love it or hate it albums", which is not surprising to me. There is a Roger camp and a David camp and perhaps that's why.

Edited by SteveG - June 12 2017 at 04:17
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 12:21
Musically bland, lyrically a treasure.
But who has time for these things nowadays, anyway.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 04:18
^Agreed, 100%. Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 17:36

I don't want to come off as negative about Waters' singing. He is the dark voice, sardonic and theatrical voice of Pink Floyd and was always an integral part of many, many Floyd songs. Gilmour singing Mother, for example, would simply not have had the same gravitas.

I do love Waters singing in Pink Floyd. I believe each song (or part of a song) was sung by whom fitted it best, and though I do think Gilmour was (and still is) a better singer, Waters was more emotional and unique. And even now, when Waters or Gilmour tour solo (or when Floyd toured without Waters), the vocals sung by someone else just don't sound right, either Gilmour or Waters take the parts of the other, or someone else sings them altogether.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 04:23
I don't want to come off as negative about Waters' singing. He is the dark voice, sardonic and theatrical voice of Pink Floyd and was always an integral part of many, many Floyd songs. Gilmour singing Mother, for example, would simply not have had the same gravitas.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 21:33

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm not sure why many refer to Waters' vocals as "Dylan like." Dylan can sing in a winey high pitch while Roger just recites his lyrics. He's basically talking and that's why his "vocals" have not degraded as compared to his contemporaries like Ian Anderson or Gary Brooker. IMO.

I've finally viewed the album booklet greatly enlarged so I can actually see it. Very poor coming from a former Hipgnosis artist.

Roger's vocals have not degraded? They are just a pale shadow of what they used to be. There's no way he could try to sing Shine On you Crazy Diamond as he did in the album, nor sing and scream and do the angst thing as he did on The Wall and The Final Cut. His voice was already compromised by the time of the Live in Berlin concert.
I'm sure Roger could still sing Shine On with three female soul singers making him sound better. Just like in the old days. Remember, Waters could not handle the vocals for Have A Cigar, giving that over to Roy Harper who basically imitated Roger, but actually singing in tune.
He was never a great singer to begin with.

Oh yeah, he certainly can sing it. And he does... but it just doesn't sound nearly as great as on the original one, even with the backing singers. And about Have a Cigar, once I read that one of the main reasons they got Roy Harper to sing on that one was because Roger had just recorded Shine On, and he strained his voice because of the high notes and couldn't do that one right. On the other hand, Waters may not have been the best singer around, but he certainly was unique, and I do enjoy a lot of what he did singing. He could put great emotion into his parts, on his own way, and go soft and scream and show angst and all (true, he's no Peter Hamill, but he didn't need to be either). And through time he has just been loosing that edge... he can't do the soft parts sound as soft anymore, nor the screaming angst parts can have the same emotional impact anymore. By the time of Amused to Death, the comforts of the studio seem to have helped deliver better, but now not even that really helps him.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 06:46
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Had a morning of playing it over. The sound is weird as it sounds like it would be as expansive as Wish You Were Here, but there's this muffled sound. And then Roger's voice comes in crystal clear..
I love the title track and Bird In A Gale.
Wait For Her is the only poetry interpretation since Golden Hair on his friend's album.
Having a break from listening, but I can say although it's his best solo album, but no idea how this will stand when compared to other albums considered best.
I'm more satisfied with this than the last three albums Roger made with Pink Floyd.
I recommend a listen but it isn't even Autumn!
Without getting technical, there's a bit of sharpness missing from the music but that's down to a particular EQing of the album's music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>