Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCircusfolk - A Pop Fusion Orchestra

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 08:20
Sounds good to me.Thumbs%20Up - I'll add them to the Xover evaluation list and discuss them with Micky.
What?
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 07:30
My pleasure Smile I wouldn't put them to heavy prog, even though there are some heavier moments on the new album. Mostly their sound is still very light and clean.

Edited by Keppa4v - November 17 2007 at 07:30
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 07:26
I'm going to post the link to this thread in the Xover team thread. Anyway, I'm also going to give them a listen on behalf of the Eclectic and Heavy Prog teams. Thank you for the suggestion!Smile
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 06:52
Circusfolk is a young Finnish prog band (they like to call themselves pop fusion, but prog is just as good) formed in 2004 to "rebel against all cheap, redundant and meaningless music". I first came across them a year ago in a small prog happening in Helsinki, where they played with Subspace Radio and Discordia. I'd never heard of them before so I couldn't prepare myself for the stunningly awesome show they gave (still the second best gig of all time on my lists). Since then I've seen them live about ten times, and bought their two EP's Circusfolk Comes to Town (2005) and The Progression Bell (2006) and their debut full length Making Faces released last tuesday. The brand new album was produced by the keyboard genius Tarmo Simonen from Overhead, with whom they've shared some gigs.

As their influences the band lists Rush, Porcupine Tree, Kingston Wall, Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Liekki, Magyar Posse, Primus and Wigwam, and by combining all of them they manage to create a fresh and totally unique lightly humour flavored sound of their own.

Here's their myspace site with three songs from the new album and one from the first ep: http://www.myspace.com/circusfolkband (too bad they took off the band's title song from the second ep, it's my favorite song of their catalogue). Those songs are a pretty good example of their sound, but there are still more freaked out tracks waiting for those who buy the album...

I read the definition of Crossover prog, and it sounds very much like the correct place for Circusfolk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12