Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould politics return to Prog music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 08:46
Anyone who thinks that Prog musicians have remained faithful to their political allegiances while operating from within the music industry is surely credulous enough to believe that an antelope would vote for a lion. Ermm
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 01:52
I don't like the idea of a concerted effort to change, and especially not a fan-driven shove, to coerce bands into saying things they didn't already want to say.
Prog is basically about natural progression, yeah?

Coincidentally, if some are not finding their needs met by the music they hear, maybe they should fill that void on their own. Much like the reason many politicians give when asked why they're running for a particular office. Wink

Edited by *frinspar* - June 20 2014 at 02:33
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 01:29
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Yours is no Disgrace is the best political song---Don't Kill the Whale---sort of okay.Smile

I wouldn't consider that a political song. Also anti-war songs don't count either. Its like saying 'Pizza is tasty'.

I think a political song should get some reaction. I can think of a couple that were regarded as thinly veiled attacks on the USA 
IQ - Harvest Of Souls
Muse - Take A Bow

both good ones as wellTongue
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 22:13
Yours is no Disgrace is the best political song---Don't Kill the Whale---sort of okay.Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 17:16
Originally posted by notesworth notesworth wrote:

I'd say no. In the US, everything's split between the Conservative Camp and the Liberal Camp. Almost any choice somebody makes puts them in one camp or the other. We don't need either camp to claim genres of music. They've already claimed TV shows (Duck Dynasty), grocery stores (Whole Foods), restaurants (Chick-Fil-A), etc.

People can write about whatever they want to write about, including political issues. I just don't want to see one of the political camps annex a genre of music.

Also, I'm sick of people equating Christianity with conservatives/Republicans, but that's another issue completely.
I understand your feelings regarding domestic issues but how about world events? Or does that get filed under Not Interrested? LOL
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 14:20
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38167
3rd Degree "The Long Division"

Excellent political prog, relevant to the last US Presidential election.
Spears both left and right for rampant hypocrisy.

I agree that it is excellent, though i think they make the same error some others do as regards the extremes of left and right in the US.  There are people on both extremes, but there is a real difference between left and right: on the right many extremists hold national political office, whereas on the left the extremists are locked out of office and spend more time in drum circles.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 11:07

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I love Zappa's political songs, he went after hypocrisy on both sides.  Did he pick on one side more often?  Yes.  He never embraced false equivalency and I think that's what offends a few around here.  They can't handle it so they are dismissive of it.  He wasn't afraid to call particular people or kinds of people out.  His criticisms were always spot on.  If Zappa had been around during the W regime, I'm pretty sure he would have done some scathing songs.  He would have also probably done stuff critical of B and O, but it would have been fair unlike these relentless idiotic attacks that are coming from the opposition. I also find Gentle Giant's The Power And The Glory to be one of my favorite political prog albums.  It has a timeless quality because it speaks truth to power without naming names.In the in end politics in prog music is fine for as long as the music is good.On a side note, I find the title a this thread a little amusing - <h1>Would you like to see politics added to Prog Music</h1>

I think many of us have made the point that it is already there...Confused

I felt that it might be insulting to the members that realise that artists like  Zappa, Gentle Giant, Floyd, KC, etc. stopped producing politically relevant music some time ago or are defunct and that few  have taken their places (which prompted me to post the thread) and include that information in the posting, but I guess that it has to be done for the many who do not.

Edited by SteveG - June 19 2014 at 13:18
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 10:16
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38167
3rd Degree "The Long Division"

Excellent political prog, relevant to the last US Presidential election.
Spears both left and right for rampant hypocrisy.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 09:24

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 09:15
^ Somewhere Over the Texas Rhino Taxes Way Up High (Man)
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 09:07
I just noticed that "Taxes" and "Texas" share the same words. This surely means something. And I hope Jon Anderson can exploit it in a song about rainbow-colored rhinos 
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 08:58
C'mon T, you wouldn't listen to an album with catchy song titles like "I Hate Taxes" and the side-long "Obamacare is the Work of the Devil"?

Speaking of repatriation to another planet, I've been hoping to be repatriated since my youth, to no avail. Guess I need to join the Tea Party to get that honor.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 08:48
^To be honest, and much as I love freedom of expression, Tea Party prog lyrics would definitely invite invitation to go to Uranus, or Theiranus, or whichever Anus we can find that can tolerate their bigotry any more than it can an enema. 

And Texas prog can join them too. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 08:26
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I would welcome political messages in the lyrics.

But anyone who pushes a Tea Party standpoint can leave the planet for me.

Would you therefore only permit songs that had a political orientation you agree with? You can see where I'm going with this I'm sure.... i.e. would your forced repatriation of right wingers to say, Uranus be deemed any less intolerant that their forced repatriation of left wingers to say, the Red Planet?Wink

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 04:20
I would welcome political messages in the lyrics.

The obsession of humankind with money, to the extent that the desecration of our planet is secondary to acquiring personal/corporate wealth and the consequent prosecution of military action in support of economic aims (Iraq!) is something that angers me beyond belief. I think that such issues have been the subject of prog lyrics before, have they not?

I suppose being an environmentalist and a traditional Liberal (not the rabid, right wing "do whatever you want and **** everyone else type) informs my viewpoint.

But anyone who pushes a Tea Party standpoint can leave the planet for me.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 04:04
Indeed, Zappa had his say for sure.
Kraut rockers 'Floh de Cologne' used politics as a basis for their musical expressions too, although it's pretty much lost on non-German speaking folks.......(the music is great.....)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 03:32
I love Zappa's political songs, he went after hypocrisy on both sides.  Did he pick on one side more often?  Yes.  He never embraced false equivalency and I think that's what offends a few around here.  They can't handle it so they are dismissive of it.  He wasn't afraid to call particular people or kinds of people out.  His criticisms were always spot on.  If Zappa had been around during the W regime, I'm pretty sure he would have done some scathing songs.  He would have also probably done stuff critical of B and O, but it would have been fair unlike these relentless idiotic attacks that are coming from the opposition.

I also find Gentle Giant's The Power And The Glory to be one of my favorite political prog albums.  It has a timeless quality because it speaks truth to power without naming names.

In the in end politics in prog music is fine for as long as the music is good.

On a side note, I find the title a this thread a little amusing -

Would you like to see politics added to Prog Music

I think many of us have made the point that it is already there...Confused

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 19 2014 at 03:35
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 01:53
I haven't read all the posts regarding this topic, but I know Henry Cow, Chris Cutler and Co. added a lot of political views within their music. Even Vander and his Kobaian philosophies include a degree of politics.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 00:45
Originally posted by notesworth notesworth wrote:

Also, I'm sick of people equating Christianity with conservatives/Republicans, but that's another issue completely.

its pretty much the opposite here
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 22:57
I'd say no. In the US, everything's split between the Conservative Camp and the Liberal Camp. Almost any choice somebody makes puts them in one camp or the other. We don't need either camp to claim genres of music. They've already claimed TV shows (Duck Dynasty), grocery stores (Whole Foods), restaurants (Chick-Fil-A), etc.

People can write about whatever they want to write about, including political issues. I just don't want to see one of the political camps annex a genre of music.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>