Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGetting deeper into prog recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ancient_Mariner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 11:44
Hello, first post.  Great site here, it was mentioned as the equivalent to metal-archives.com and so far I'm loving the info and reviews here.

Well I'm starting to dig deeper into progressive rock and music and would appreciate some recommendations.  I'm a metal head and classic rock lover, along with a fan of some jazz (mostly swinging big band) and classical.

I love Rush as they are a mainstay on local rock radio, 70's era mostly but I'm really starting to enjoy the 80's synth period and the 00's.  Grace Under Pressure is getting a lot of play from me lately.  Got a bunch of their albums and filling in the gaps as time goes by.  Pink Floyd is another favorite, one of my all time favorite bands.  Just got a couple King Crimson albums.  Red and Crimson King.  Red I'm working on, but Court of the Crimson King is blowing me away.  Been listening to Foxtrot from Genesis on Amazon Prime and just ordered the 1994 edition of Selling England by the Pound as I read the newest remasters are far too loud, like most remasters unfortunately.  The prog era Genesis is such a different beast than the pop Genesis I'm most familiar with.  So far so good.  Fan of Opeth, really digging Pale Communion as well as their earlier death metal stuff.  Tool is a favorite of mine as well.  Need to go deeper into Yes as well, heard their hits many times but they go so much deeper I'm told.  Same with Jethro Tull.

What I'm looking for is prog music, that is more progressive songs structures and ideas instead of just 10 minute songs that are just hyper technical.  When I listen to Dream Theater I keep feeling that I should just listen to Rush since they actually rock.  Now I love great musicianship but now I'm looking for something a bit more Crimson King than just technical rock, but not so far out that it goes over my head.  Baby steps and all that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123