Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull Fan Central: JT Appreciation Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:23
Steven Wilson putted back this part, take away two phrases of sax and the odd sound in the middle of the "sotry of the hare" that indicate when flip the vynil.

I guess that made a lot of sense and A Passion Play gain a more "organic" feeling. Its my favourite box - and one of my favourite albums.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 09:57
Heard the Steven Wilson-remixed A Passion Play. So far, noticed some extra lyrics added in one part which although novel, not sure I approve as they take away from the original product somewhat. Otherwise, interesting, and I'm glad I bought it.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 11:39
Ok, who will be the Quizz Kid!?
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 07:00
Great Martin Barre interview.

Some thoughs really leave me wondering if there could come up surprises from the next years...
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 09:45
By the way, if you guys have an account on the Team Rock website, you can read this article on Martin Barre latest album.

I found it interesting. Am hoping for the best to Martin, didnt hear yet the Back to Steel, but it seems a promissing blues-rock album.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 08:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

john glascock

I give you the late John Glascock (1951-1979). Probably Tull's best bassist with an original 'clunky' sound and an almost metronomic sense of timing, that was breath taking at times when playing in conjunction with the equally talented Barrymore Barlow on drums. What do you think Mr. Glascock brought to great albums like Songs from The Woods? 

Great player and I loved his contributions 
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 16:28
I guess there is no surprises really. But video material of Tull is so rare that I am really glad with it.

Especially the article inside the booklet ‘From Carmen to Tullman’ – The Musical Life of John Glascock, finally more attention to the prettiest Tullman!
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 07:37
this actually looks a bit thin to me...was hoping for more, maybe even a new live disc like with Minstrel
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 06:25
Where's the outake Advertising man which was mentioned by Ian?
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:05
Thanks a lot. Thumbs Up
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 13:10
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 09:46
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

The Bard (what a good name)

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Hi . Who said JT.Com is a great or perfect or ... album? As GKR said we said "Good" and I said " I like Hot mango ...". If you read again my first post I said this album not a Standard JT album and very easy to listening. BUT Honestly I like this album and I know this isn't great and I know 2-3 star enough for it.
I don't know about you but sometimes some weak albums or songs catch me an I enjoy to listen to them and I can't explain why and I don't have any reason to defend my favs (not opinion). 
Thanks
I see both you and GKR feel the need to pinpoint that you didn't say the album is superb or perfect, but don't worry, I got that (no, I don't need to read your first post again, perhaps you should read mine?). I simply disagreed with you, as I don't think Dot Com is a good album, at all, and as particularly "Hot Mango Flush" rubbs me the wrong way. Was it my opinion about that song that got your knickers in a twist? LOL Sorry for being brutally honest, but when it comes to an artist I hold in such high regard I feel I can't be anything but.

I also said that, as fan of the band, I could easily have done without it, which, again, is the cold hearted truth, it saddens me to say, and that it's my least favourite album penned by Mr. Anderson. Yes, I think I even prefer Rock Island, but it's been a while since I spun those albums, so I'm not too sure about that (I was thinking about skipping them in my upcoming Tull marathon, but perhaps I'll give both a fresh listen to see if my opinion have changed since the last time heard them).

Do I regret purchasing Dot Com? No, I don't, because, as a huge Tull nut, I wouldn't mind having a complete collection of their albums, well, at least their studio ones, but if I'd heard it before buying it I'm not sure I would've bothered acquiring it. Furthermore, I'm not sure I could, in all honesty, recommend it to anyone, even to other Tull fans, and therefore even the second star would hang by a thread there, for me.

Having said that, it's not clear to me where I've been impolite, and certainly not to you (as your clappies indicate you feel I have been). I was merely expressing my opinion about the album, and the song "Hot Mango Flush". I'm as much entitled to have an opinion about an album, and to express that opinion, as you, am I not?
Thats a point! You don't need to read other posts BUT you accuse them to anything that you want!!! Very good!! You are 5* collab and you do what you want. 
This post show "you are angry" and repeat one thing with different shapes. I don't have problem with you and your opinion. I never said : Please buy JT.Com !!! I never said to you : Please be polite!! 
I really want to know What is your problem with me?! PLEASE say clearly (if you want OR need!). This isn't fair that you accuse me without read my post or understand what I said. I just talk about my feeling (not opinion) about one album.  
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 09:18

--------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------

No rpoblem, Omid. Wink

Actually, I was the guy who created the topic. LOL But his induction was more for his first three solo albums. "A Trick of Memory", "The Meeting" and "Stage Left" were considered Cross-over by the team and he got his page. That was it, actually. The rules for the forum, to an artist get inducted is to have made at least one album "full" prog. In this sense, he got it for his past work. Dont know what will be for his future works, but knowing his quality I will always hope for the best.

I did a review for his first three albums and the "Away with words" as well. If you like, check it out, it will be easier than I repeat myself here. Wink And I guess that his albums can be heard in spotify...
I agree with you and I don't problem with Martin's page and sub gener. I believe that he deserve to have this page. I really want to know about his first 3 album before I try to find theme. Honestly if these albums are Hard Rock or Blues Rock , I don't like theme!!! Wink
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 18:43

(and you talk about politeness, how about showing some respect towards the decisions of the artists, yes, I said artists, do you really think they weren't in agreement about not working together anymore, huh, do really think Ian fired Barre because he wanted to be seen as a legitimate solo artist? Wtf? OK, I'll give you another clue as to what I think lies behind that decision, Ian's made two prog rock concept albums since, Barre's now playing blues rock, so they're not playing the same kind of music, hmm...)

I really hope not to started any mess. I mean, I really really do not want to cause any misunderstood.Confused

Yes or no question, Bard (because its too much text in a foreign language to read after a day of studies): I ofended you in any point? Its a sincere question, because the parenthesis above got a little confuse for me.

That said, as I want to talk about this question: actually, I always based my assumptions on artists choises from their interviews. Anderson SAID that. He decided to end Tull to have a shot as a solo artist. Barre also told that Anderson came one day to Perry and him and said: "I dont want to make Tull anymore". I wont find the links, but I am following this mess since day one...

So... I dunno. I expect we can follow on nice talks from now on, because there is another reason besides your nic-name that now I like: I'am also a HUGE fan of A Passion Play.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 18:06

Thanks, Gustavo. All in honour of the bearded bard in tights and a codpiece playing the flute. Thumbs Up

Sorry, fellas, but I couldn't disagree more. Haven't heard Under Wraps and Catfish Rising yet, but Dot Com is by far my least favourite Tull album. A huge disappointment after the excellent Roots to Branches.

"Hot Mango Flush" is, as far as I'm concerned, easily their worst composition (if you can call it that). The lyrics are downright embarrassing, with Ian just enumerating a bunch of seemingly unrelated (although I guess you could say there's a connection, just not a very good one, IMO, what's a hot mango flush anyway? well, I know where I'd like Ian to flush that hot mango) stuff (something he's made a habit of on later albums, too, unfortunately). And then they had the brilliant idea of revisiting it on "Mango Surprise", as if one track of that drivel wasn't enough! Dead /rant

Bar "El Niño", where they go almost metal, which is a nice change of pace, every track on this album is, at best, forgettable. Close to a 1 star album, this one, in my book, but I can see it warranting the "for fans and collectors" stamp, although this fan certainly could've done without it.
I'm afraid you've got us wrong Bard. As Tull fans, we're polite but I'm safe in saying that the majority of us feel that the last run of Tull albums, sans RtB, like Catfish Raising, Rock Island and J-Tull .Com we're some of the band's weakest.
We may be polite, but we're not deaf. At least not at the moment.
Implying I'm not a Tull fan, as I am not polite, in your opinion, is below the belt, in mine. I simply expressed my opinion about Dot Com, presenting a different view than "it's a good album", trying to create a more balanced discussion about it (though failing miserably at that apparently LOL). What I don't understand though, is why you feel the need to resort to a personal attack?

Here's a flash for you Bard. I'm very outspoken and I was only afraid that my genteel stance on these pathetic albums would throw you, which it did. How could you possibly read so much more into my statement then what was printed? I'll state it for you again: "We were being polite when referencing the Tull albums that we don't like." It only means what it says. Nothing more. Got it?
Where do all of you paranoid people come from anyway? Seriously. LOL

Note: I've redacted my caustic closing statement Bard, but seriously, this type of reading between or around the lines is disturbing to me. I understand that you are a musician, but my response to Doug was in regard to fans that just listen to their hero's music as they are not actually the music's creators. I actually have a very sympathetic view for musicians that have spent endless hours rearranging songs, trying numerous guitar leads with every effects pedal and tone available to them to try to get something that works down on tape, etc., as I've spent equal amounts of hours with them and understand their commitment and frustration. Again, my statement was aimed at the rabid fan that has no creative input into what is being criticized. Not the muso.

Edited by SteveG - September 11 2015 at 09:10
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 16:29

Thanks, Gustavo. All in honour of the bearded bard in tights and a codpiece playing the flute. Thumbs Up

Sorry, fellas, but I couldn't disagree more. Haven't heard Under Wraps and Catfish Rising yet, but Dot Com is by far my least favourite Tull album. A huge disappointment after the excellent Roots to Branches.

"Hot Mango Flush" is, as far as I'm concerned, easily their worst composition (if you can call it that). The lyrics are downright embarrassing, with Ian just enumerating a bunch of seemingly unrelated (although I guess you could say there's a connection, just not a very good one, IMO, what's a hot mango flush anyway? well, I know where I'd like Ian to flush that hot mango) stuff (something he's made a habit of on later albums, too, unfortunately). And then they had the brilliant idea of revisiting it on "Mango Surprise", as if one track of that drivel wasn't enough! Dead /rant

Bar "El Niño", where they go almost metal, which is a nice change of pace, every track on this album is, at best, forgettable. Close to a 1 star album, this one, in my book, but I can see it warranting the "for fans and collectors" stamp, although this fan certainly could've done without it.
I'm afraid you've got us wrong Bard. As Tull fans, we're polite but I'm safe in saying that the majority of us feel that the last run of Tull albums, sans RtB, like Catfish Raising, Rock Island and J-Tull .Com we're some of the band's weakest.
We may be polite, but we're not deaf. At least not at the moment.
Implying I'm not a Tull fan, as I am not polite, in your opinion, is below the belt, in mine. I simply expressed my opinion about Dot Com, presenting a different view than "it's a good album", trying to create a more balanced discussion about it (though failing miserably at that apparently LOL). What I don't understand though, is why you feel the need to resort to a personal attack?

I see I've stepped on more than just your toes with my first comment in this thread (and I thought you agreed with Doug in saying you don't take criticism of your heores personally, or at least wish you didn't? Ermm), but the only one I feel should be in any way offended by my rant is one Mr. Anderson (to those with a different opinion than myself I did say "I'm sorry" after all Wink), but as someone who sincerely regret making my all-time favourite album (A Passion Play), he should, IMO, be able to take the criticism. If he can criticise one of his own albums in such a way, he should be able to take criticism of another, don't you agree?

May I ask why you implied I'm not a fan of the band? You really didn't think I wasn't, did you? Why? Because I hadn't posted in this thread before my ill-received reply? LOL Replying in an appreciation thread is not a testament to wether one is a fan of a band, you know. I admit though, it's perhaps a bit untimely to enter such a thread with as a critical remark as I did, but the earlier comments about Dot Com, and "Hot Mango Flush" in particular, sparked my interest in participating in this thread, as I feel very strongly about that album, and that track, albeit in a negative way.

If you sincerely doubt I'm a fan of Tull, I'll have you know they're the reason I'm on this forum, as they were, after Led Zeppelin, my second major music love, and lead me to want to explore other progressive rock bands. I hadn't listened to them in a while though (more for wanting to explore other bands' music than lack of interest in Tull per se, but I've listened to them a lot the last few years, so I don't feel the need to revisit their albums too often these days), before spinning to the two TaaB albums the other day.

I've read the comments in this thread with interest, and thought I'd eventually chip in with my thoughts on Barre's exit, which differs significantly from yours and GKR's btw (and you talk about politeness, how about showing some respect towards the decisions of the artists, yes, I said artists, do you really think they weren't in agreement about not working together anymore, huh, do really think Ian fired Barre because he wanted to be seen as a legitimate solo artist? Wtf? OK, I'll give you another clue as to what I think lies behind that decision, Ian's made two prog rock concept albums since, Barre's now playing blues rock, so they're not playing the same kind of music, hmm...), as well as on those four albums considered their weakest, once I'd heard them all (haven't heard Under Wraps and Catfish Rising yet, but I'm planning a Tull marathon in the near future, so I will soon).

But since critique and passion, with perhaps a sprinkle of colour and humor injected into the discussion, to get the temperature up a notch (well, I succeeded in that, just not in the way intended LOL), seems unwelcome in this thread, I don't think I'll bother. I wouldn't want to disturb the sedate discussion environment, which seems to me to be the way you want it here (unless it's your own opinions, of course Disapprove) more than I already have, so I think I'll leave this dull appreciation thread alone in the future.

Hi . Who said JT.Com is a great or perfect or ... album? As GKR said we said "Good" and I said " I like Hot mango ...". If you read again my first post I said this album not a Standard JT album and very easy to listening. BUT Honestly I like this album and I know this isn't great and I know 2-3 star enough for it.
I don't know about you but sometimes some weak albums or songs catch me an I enjoy to listen to them and I can't explain why and I don't have any reason to defend my favs (not opinion). 
Thanks
I see both you and GKR feel the need to pinpoint that you didn't say the album is superb or perfect, but don't worry, I got that (no, I don't need to read your first post again, perhaps you should read mine?). I simply disagreed with you, as I don't think Dot Com is a good album, at all, and as particularly "Hot Mango Flush" rubbs me the wrong way. Was it my opinion about that song that got your knickers in a twist? LOL Sorry for being brutally honest, but when it comes to an artist I hold in such high regard I feel I can't be anything but.

I also said that, as fan of the band, I could easily have done without it, which, again, is the cold hearted truth, it saddens me to say, and that it's my least favourite album penned by Mr. Anderson. Yes, I think I even prefer Rock Island, but it's been a while since I spun those albums, so I'm not too sure about that (I was thinking about skipping them in my upcoming Tull marathon, but perhaps I'll give both a fresh listen to see if my opinion have changed since the last time heard them).

Do I regret purchasing Dot Com? No, I don't, because, as a huge Tull nut, I wouldn't mind having a complete collection of their albums, well, at least their studio ones, but if I'd heard it before buying it I'm not sure I would've bothered acquiring it. Furthermore, I'm not sure I could, in all honesty, recommend it to anyone, even to other Tull fans, and therefore even the second star would hang by a thread there, for me.

Having said that, it's not clear to me where I've been impolite, and certainly not to you (as your clappies indicate you feel I have been). I was merely expressing my opinion about the album, and the song "Hot Mango Flush". I'm as much entitled to have an opinion about an album, and to express that opinion, as you, am I not?

Edited by The Bearded Bard - September 10 2015 at 16:33
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 14:06

Too bluesy and hard rocky for me, actually. If I could choose, I would like to hear the more "Stage Left" side of Martin Barre.

And its a album made to sell in the concerts, actually, with the play list of the concerts. Nothing off the wall. I really like "fat Man", "Crossroads" and "Sweet Dream", though.

Fans of Joe Bonamassa must be liking this new fase of Martin Barre, I guess.
Exactly. IMO Bluesy and Hard Rocky as you said. I listened only "Order of Play" from his solo albums and my judge about M.B based on this album. 1 or 2 months earlier in Suggest forum section some guys discussed about M.B. Some said M.B is not Prog Rock and others said he deserve to have a page in PA. IMO Martin Barre is one of Progressive Rock great musicians and He deserve to have a page in PA BUT "Order of Play" isn't a Prog Rock album.
As I said before I didn't listen to his another albums. If you listened, please talk about your opinion about them. Are they Prog Rock? 
Thanks and appreciated . 

No rpoblem, Omid. Wink

Actually, I was the guy who created the topic. LOL But his induction was more for his first three solo albums. "A Trick of Memory", "The Meeting" and "Stage Left" were considered Cross-over by the team and he got his page. That was it, actually. The rules for the forum, to an artist get inducted is to have made at least one album "full" prog. In this sense, he got it for his past work. Dont know what will be for his future works, but knowing his quality I will always hope for the best.

I did a review for his first three albums and the "Away with words" as well. If you like, check it out, it will be easier than I repeat myself here. Wink And I guess that his albums can be heard in spotify...
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 11:16

Too bluesy and hard rocky for me, actually. If I could choose, I would like to hear the more "Stage Left" side of Martin Barre.

And its a album made to sell in the concerts, actually, with the play list of the concerts. Nothing off the wall. I really like "fat Man", "Crossroads" and "Sweet Dream", though.

Exactly. IMO Bluesy and Hard Rocky as you said. I listened only "Order of Play" from his solo albums and my judge about M.B based on this album. 1 or 2 months earlier in Suggest forum section some guys discussed about M.B. Some said M.B is not Prog Rock and others said he deserve to have a page in PA. IMO Martin Barre is one of Progressive Rock great musicians and He deserve to have a page in PA BUT "Order of Play" isn't a Prog Rock album.
As I said before I didn't listen to his another albums. If you listened, please talk about your opinion about them. Are they Prog Rock? 
Thanks and appreciated . 
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 11:00

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 10:17

His website says it will be avaible this month.

And there are this, and this news about it in Team Rock. Apparently, is another hard rock offering.
Thanks. Do you like "Order of Play" ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>