Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The court of the crimson king

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 17:02
Itchycock is neither their best nor a masterpiece (although it has some masterpiece content). I think In the Wake of Poseidon is an improvement and Islands is their best. Nevertheless this album is an unevitable milestone in the history of prog.

Edited by someone_else - May 09 2018 at 17:03
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 16:13
I consider "Lizard" to be much better than "ITCOTCK". I actually wonder why "ITCOTCK" is so highly rated when one fourth of the album is considered to be utter crap by many

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 15:56
^^ As Morpheus said to Neo. "I know exactly what you mean."
ITCOTCK is a very very special record.....and I have been listening to it since the spring of 1970...a little while after it was released. I really like Red,  Larks, Poseidon, etc...but there is an early magical quality about that album which is why it;s rated so high and why so many believe it is a benchmark for early prog.
KC is probably my favorite prog band though I also love Yes and Genesis....but Court is still after all this time that one that I return to when I need a shot of prog magic.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 15:31
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

Just finished listening to RED and ISLANDS also LARKS IN TONGUES ASPIC although all the albums ,i previously mentioned, i return to the debut ,i think sub consciously THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING just rates some much higher for me because of the range of talent there ,just has too many moments of musical finesse that i just find awesome ,i have looked for comparisons, in other works or songs like STARLESS ,A SAILORS TALE and A BOOK OF SATURDAYS to name a few but for the record as a whole THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING is just unparalleled also i would like to say that it was not,my first crimson album it was in fact THE WAKE OF THE POSEIDON , go figure p.s thank you for taking the time to read, not saying the other works by crim are weak not at all,the debut has everything most people who like prog like, any other suggestions or i.e bands or albums that have all the elements in them i.e mellotron keyboards flutes and double necked guitars also incredible vocal sty lings i.e PETER HAMILL ,JON ANDERSON i would really like know some of your tastes out there, thank you grant

I don't know if I should agree with you or not because I have no idea what exactly you mean by "unparalleled". can you please elaborate on that?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 14:48
Just finished listening to RED and ISLANDS also LARKS IN TONGUES ASPIC although all the albums ,i previously mentioned, i return to the debut ,i think sub consciously THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING just rates some much higher for me because of the range of talent there ,just has too many moments of musical finesse that i just find awesome ,i have looked for comparisons, in other works or songs like STARLESS ,A SAILORS TALE and A BOOK OF SATURDAYS to name a few but for the record as a whole THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING is just unparalleled also i would like to say that it was not,my first crimson album it was in fact THE WAKE OF THE POSEIDON , go figure p.s thank you for taking the time to read, not saying the other works by crim are weak not at all,the debut has everything most people who like prog like, any other suggestions or i.e bands or albums that have all the elements in them i.e mellotron keyboards flutes and double necked guitars also incredible vocal sty lings i.e PETER HAMILL ,JON ANDERSON i would really like know some of your tastes out there, thank you grant

Edited by grantman - May 09 2018 at 14:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123