Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"5 star" albums and masterpiece.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 05:50
One question: If some of reviewers BIAS some albums with 5s rate .....................
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 05:42
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

I cant undrestand why you want to say There is no masterpiece. I believe many of musics or draws or books are masterpiece and its not about taste. Maybe I love them or not. Masterpiece is masterpiece!!!!!!!!
Sorry guys. I want to confess. I MADE MISTAKE. I shouldn't write like this and my hands up!!!  I know many of you dont agree to "absolute" opinions and you right. One of my friends warn me and when I thought about his warning, I see he right.
I appreciate to "DANCE" with all of you!!!!! OK friends each of us have our own masterpieces but I want to know what is your criteria? thanks      Ouch

Edited by O666 - September 02 2010 at 05:43
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 19:51
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

If a site has guidelines (not all do), one should try to follow them to the best of their ability, so that readers have a reasonably consistent idea of what ratings mean.  Most non-members perusing reviews are not going to look at the member profile to see a person's "personal definition" of the 5 stars.  5 star ratings should be very rare and entail much more than just "an album you like", as requested by the site pop-up explanation window. 

Some are naturally going to thumb their nose and give 5s to everything they like.  I think many readers eventually just ignore writers who they notice overuse the 5, I know I do, and I've had others tell me they do.  If the rating is used excessively, it loses the impact/value it should have to a reader.  When I notice a reviewer uses the 5 very rarely, then it has some meaning to me when they actually do pull the trigger. 

Collabs especially should try to follow the site guidelines as their ratings are weighted. 

The "overuse of 5 star ratings" thing isn't necessarily always applicable; some people choose only to rate albums they feel very strongly about

Good point, but those of us who hang out here a lot can distinguish that type of reviewer from someone who is a regular reviewer of all kinds of material, stuff they both like and dislike.  But yes, the kind of reviewer you mentioned does exist. 

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 19:42

Exactly

This should consider some respects.

Masterpiece and five stars' viewpoints. As for it, the part where the subjectivity mixes with objectivity might be included. And, the characteristic of PA joins this part.

It will be judged whether the person who listened to the album as a result is a masterpiece. And, general information and knowledge will mix there of course.

When the review is submitted, I often mix the characteristic of PA.

Review for sales promotion
Album and information on musician

This is deliberately investigated. It recognizes it as work as Reviewer.

However, I also often submit a subjective review. However, the subjective opinion cannot be submitted if restrained to work and the sales promotion of the review. And, it is also impossible to unite all the reviews safely in three-star.

Knowledge and information might often be necessary for us. And, the experience concerning music forms everything. Perhaps, the listener who listened to the album should judge the final assessment.

The discussion concerning ranking the album is often done. However, we think should not the restraint to this discussion. The musician and the album are always offering good music with the technology that always exceeds our category. We should love music.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 19:42
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

If a site has guidelines (not all do), one should try to follow them to the best of their ability, so that readers have a reasonably consistent idea of what ratings mean.  Most non-members perusing reviews are not going to look at the member profile to see a person's "personal definition" of the 5 stars.  5 star ratings should be very rare and entail much more than just "an album you like", as requested by the site pop-up explanation window. 

Some are naturally going to thumb their nose and give 5s to everything they like.  I think many readers eventually just ignore writers who they notice overuse the 5, I know I do, and I've had others tell me they do.  If the rating is used excessively, it loses the impact/value it should have to a reader.  When I notice a reviewer uses the 5 very rarely, then it has some meaning to me when they actually do pull the trigger. 

Collabs especially should try to follow the site guidelines as their ratings are weighted. 

The "overuse of 5 star ratings" thing isn't necessarily always applicable; some people choose only to rate albums they feel very strongly about
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 19:10

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 18:27
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Of course it's subjective. The albums themselves are subjective pieces of art, how could they possibly have an objective value?

Hahaha!!! I like that ... and you are quite right of course! Ok, so Stairway to Heaven stinks ... what crap. Who cares? .... somewhere along the line the equation gets messed up ... Embarrassed ... and all we can do is be honest and open about our feelings, but do not "hide" behind some jargon and concepts that do not exist! Like the one we use the most .... "progressive" which in the end is corrupted by "favorite"!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 17:33
Originally posted by EnderEd EnderEd wrote:

3 does not really = "meh" on ProgArchives. Here's the ProgArchives official rating designations:
Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music
Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection
Good, but non-essential
Collectors/fans only
Poor. Only for completionists

I prefer leaving 5-star for "Masterpiece" rather than for an album that I really love and think is awesome. Is there an objective (vs subjective) criteria for defining Masterpiece? I think so, but many on ProgArchives would have a hard time with that. For example, I love almost anything and everything by Coheed & Cambria and Rush (except for their latest rehashes, Caravan/BU2B) -- But I would never give their most recent albums 5-stars, cause I know that I know they are not Masterpieces. On the other hand, I cannot stand Edvard Munch's painting The Scream, but would list it as a Masterpiece nonetheless. 

Here is the confusing part (not to me but I think to a lot of people) 1 Star and 2 Stars really does not equal KRAPPY, Horrible albums. By the PA definitions, these are to mean they are good albums as looked at in the whole artists collection. I don't view 1Star and 2Star rated albums badly, if the commentary portion really trashes the album then I think it should not be rated...or there should be a ZERO option. Because if I really read into the PA star definitions, there really is no rating for "This is krapp, don't even bother, horrid, vomit..."
I would vote to remove the word "Masterpiece" for sure.

BTW......Caravan and Brought Up to Believe are great songs, only appreciated more now that I heard them live early last month. C&C's concept thru the first 4 albums is very, very good...excellent storyline, the books are great.....Should be a movie someday......Musically StarStarStar

Big smile 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 15:49
Okay, but your post made me want to dance.  What is love, baby don't hurt me.

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 15:47
I cant undrestand why you want to say There is no masterpiece. I believe many of musics or draws or books are masterpiece and its not about taste. Maybe I love them or not. Masterpiece is masterpiece!!!!!!!!
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 15:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Sorry for snipping: "...Love is big word but exist. Maybe I dont ENJOY love and maybe love hurt me but Love is one part of my soul like any others..." (O666).

You mention love, but I think a "masterpiece", though in the ear, and even the loins, of the behearer, for me can be one of those albums I don't just love, but there's an almost  erotic quality/ tingly sensation when listening to the music.  One doesn't just love it, one makes love with it.  Not literally, of course. It has eargasmic qualities.

Herbie Hancock's Crossings is one such album for me, but it leaves some others limp.
Sorry Logan. Internet speed in Iran is very very low! and I answer to Omri not you. My write posted before you but your post recieve before my!!!!! I dont want to talk about Love !! Omri talked about love and I answer to him!!!!!!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 15:36

Masterpiece is:

I'd give 5 stars to such an album.

But there is such a level of subjectivity. What is outstanding to one may be poor to another, and what is considered the best work of the act by one may not be for another. Even amongst official Prog Reviewers (people who were chosen, partially because of their analytical abilities and significant music knowledge, as well as their outstanding powers of expression/ writing skills) you will find great variance in opinion on what is masterpiece.  One may rate it five, another may give the same album a one or two.  I would also give an album 5 stars that I felt fit that definition.
Of course it's subjective. The albums themselves are subjective pieces of art, how could they possibly have an objective value?

And then there's the question of what is art (no I don't need a definition).  One can assign value within frameworks of analysis (one might say that the frameworks you choose to use reflect your biases, however). On the performance level, for instance, one can say that one performer is more technically able than another, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll enjoy the performance more.  Some compositions are more advanced than another, but that doesn't mean you'll enjoy it more.  If my now seven year old daughter composed and played a piece of music on her xylophone and you compared it to a  professional composer/ xylophonist, you would hear a difference in quality (would one be wrong to say that one is objectively better/ more accomplished than the other?  Should she continue practising if there are no objective measures for her artistry, and no real standards of success beyond the subjective level?).  Some might still think her music is art. She did an art class recently, and painted her version of a Modigliani painting.  I think it's amazing, and would call it art, but if I saw a Modigliani and hers in an Art Gallery, and didn't know the background, I would consider hers inferior.  There are models one can utilise to judge music, paintings, novels etc. in a quite objective way. Music is not my background, film is, and there are many ways that I feel that I could judge the artistic, as well as technical merits of a film. But its simple when one thinks in terms of techniques rather than bandies the rather nebulous word "art" around. That said, what may sound badly composed and played to me may be a masterpiece to another, but I don't think one should divorce all objective measurements from the equation. And I would say that the more musically knowledgeable an individual is, the better their analysis will be, as will the determinations of artistic and technical merit.

Edited by Logan - September 01 2010 at 15:46
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 14:48

Masterpiece is:

But there is such a level of subjectivity. What is outstanding to one may be poor to another, and what is considered the best work of the act by one may not be for another. Even amongst official Prog Reviewers (people who were chosen, partially because of their analytical abilities and significant music knowledge, as well as their outstanding powers of expression/ writing skills) you will find great variance in opinion on what is masterpiece.  One may rate it five, another may give the same album a one or two.  I would also give an album 5 stars that I felt fit that definition.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 14:14
Originally posted by Nathaniel607 Nathaniel607 wrote:

5 Masterpiece
4 amazing
3 good
2 alright
1 kind of rubbish
0 appaling

Still, this is really subjective and we all have different tastes which makes it difficult all around.

Not all reviewers and fans are capable of separating their likes from the dislikes in order to write a fair review ... generally, in our business, if you don't like it, you don't write a review for it, or as what some of us cynically say after 30 years of this ... it's a waste of time!

I think the difference should be the passion of the descriptions ... and I do NOT mean the technical bruhaha that 18/13th's that make the music sound blah and blah ... I mean ... be honest and let your emotion and vision show ... and that's all ANY ... and I mean .. ANY artist can ask for.

The only reviews I tend to pass by and let go are the ones that compare things and don't think it's prog because it is blah-prog or neo-pro ... and I would prefer to suggest that person is not listening to the music ... is only worrying about which box the music "belongs" to. And I know a lot of artists, that don't like to be boxed! They like their freedom of expression! Because that is what their work and vision is about!  And that was what made it progressive in the first place! ... not the descriptions!

That said, there are things I absolutely think are excellent, and I say that because they create the best visual landscapes for me. Not because of someone else's decision if it is a masterpiece or some crap! We should punish those reviewers with getting locked up reading Jean Genet for 7 straight days!

I much prefer that we take the "numbers" out of the top bands listed in the favorites and also remove the duplicate entries for the same band (different album) ... we either consider the artist worth enough to list it or we don't. Make it simple!

Edited by moshkito - September 01 2010 at 14:21
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 14:01

Masterpiece is:

Edited by Logan - September 01 2010 at 14:12
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 13:58
Masterpiece is:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 13:25
Sorry for snipping: "...Love is big word but exist. Maybe I dont ENJOY love and maybe love hurt me but Love is one part of my soul like any others..." (O666).

You mention love, but I think a "masterpiece", though in the ear, and even the loins, of the behearer, for me can be one of those albums I don't just love, but there's an almost  erotic quality/ tingly sensation when listening to the music.  One doesn't just love it, one makes love with it.  Not literally, of course. It has eargasmic qualities.

Herbie Hancock's Crossings is one such album for me, but it leaves some others limp.

Edited by Logan - September 01 2010 at 13:27
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 13:13
Masterpiece is a BIG WORD. Yes. Any thing have own definition. I can't say "I only enjoy Kafka's books" because it mean that Kafka write books JUST for enjoy!!! I agree many POP music make for enjoy but we have serious music,books and other "art related" and we must use best words to define our thoughts and senses.Musical products produce for several purposes. Many musicians release songs and albums for money like many writers and ... I dont talk about this kind of music or this side of it. I focus to artistic side of music and I start this topic for this mean. ART is big. I believe many of musics isn't ART. I think many of POP music have good compose, orchestrasion,arrangment and these kind of properties but they make for "enjoy" and "money". I dont think music like " DUN's Eros" made for money!!!  I mean "MAKE" is different to "CREATE" and I talk about CREATE,
Love is big word but exist. Maybe I dont ENJOY love and maybe love hurt me but Love is one part of my soul like any others. I want to discover artistic side of music with listen to other's opinion and experiences. Maybe I am a rookie fan of Progressive music and this question solved for other fans and they discovered this before me.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 12:59
5 stars: an album that, were I to lose it, I would lose a chunk of my soul
4: a really great work, worth buying and worth multiple listens
3: Tolerable - has it's strong points, but isn't the sort of thing I would actively seek to listen to more than once
2: I could see how some people might sort of like this, but it really shouldn't be anyone's favourite (not by a long shot) and I, personally, am never going to listen to it again if I have any say in the matter
1: No matter how ass-backwards someone's musical tastes are, no matter how many times they were hit in the head with a hammer, I can not possibly envision any member of the human race enjoying this album.  I, personally, would be too ashamed to even keep it in my house for use as a coaster

Does that help?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 12:50
I don;t like having the word "masterpiece" in the description (nor the essential or excellent addition attributes that refer to all collections). It's too subjective, and I don't want to rate something a masterpiece, say Yes' Close to the Edge, really high just because others think it a masterpiece. For me, that's a good album, but not that great.  One person's masterpiece can be another's piece of kaka. What's essential to me will not be essential to another.

I look at it a little like this:

5 Stars: An essential album to my collection, and one of my favourites in its category. Also what I consider to be the act's best work (the band's masterpiece, but that is problematic since I can think of cases where acts have releases several albums that I think superb). I might describe the album as sublime, mind-blowing, and or revelatory.

4 Stars: An album I consider really excellent, and a great one for it's category, but one I find sub-sublime. Not a desert island pick.

3 Stars: Good to very good albums of its category.

2 Stars: Mediocre (less than good to quite poor -- for its category)

1 Star: Really bad to I find this definitely poor.  Amongst the dregs of its category.

I think it's important to compare it to the perceived quality of others of its category rather an all of progressive rock (as well as compare it to other albums by the act); however, one could say that masterpiece should transcend category expectations and be essential to any well-rounded progressive music collection rather than just Prog, I'd say).  One person may hate chamber rock (or be unfamiliar with it) and vote a highly thought of album by people who are familiar with such music by, say, Art Zoyd, low, but I think a familiarity with the scenes is important for ratings purposes. With so-called masterpieces, I guess one should be able to say that even if someone will not like the style of music, it deserves respect as amongst the best of its ilk in the rater's opinion, and those who want well-rounded collections (as well as fans of its category) would be advised to hear it.

Sorry if I'm not answering the question, but I wasn't really sure what the question is.

I don't believe in handing out masterpiece status to albums just because they are largely regarded as masterpieces, nor do I believe in penalizing albums because they are obscure. While one can bring in a level of objectivity into ones frameworks of analysis, the ultimate score will be very subjective (most of the time, at least).

Edited by Logan - September 01 2010 at 12:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>