Topic ClosedProper music shops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 09:51
Flipping through stacks trying to find the album you want is a tremendous waste of time, and if you "discover" something you're taking an absurd gamble because you have no way of listening to it or looking up other people's opinions of it, barring an iPhone with headphones and an expensive high data plan. So what, do you buy it based on the cover art and name? No thank you. If you're talking about used albums that is different, as there is actually a benefit to finding a nice used copy in a physical store without paying shipping etc., but I don't buy used albums because I'm pretty sure people usually rip them and then resell them and I won't participate in that pseudo-piracy.

I am not ashamed of being an internet creature.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 09:49
I got my start in the vinyl era, which of course some insist isn't over yet.  Man, $2 for a good used single album and $3 for a double.  Even if you account for inflation that was a deal.  Many of the usual brick and mortar stores from 30 years ago are still in business in the Atlanta area though.  I've seen more stores that specialize in used CDs go bust.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 09:46
I'm with you completely. I hate buying records online. I'm lucky that there is a pretty good independant record store not too far from me. I spend a lot of time there.
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 09:43
You are very much not alone. I got into records in my late teens (I'm 24 now) and my local record shop was heaven to me. Finally somewhere I could geek out and not be the odd one out. Recently, there's been more and more kids my age kicking around, which is great because it used to be me and my brother sifting through the dollar bins and taking recommendations from the shop owner.  Ebay is fantastic, but it doesn't compare. 
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 09:38
You're not alone. I never got to see the heydey of record stores (I'm 24), but I still love the feeling of rifling through stores looking for something that might pique my interest. It's just such a tactile and unique way to discover music - there's an element of chance and spontaneity to it which is sorely lacking in online shopping.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 08:18
I grew up in Leicestershire and spent much of my youth browsing the, then, many great record shops. I could litterally (and often did) spend all day on Saturdays going around them all. Great shops like Ultima Thule (now recently closed down), MG discs, What records, Archer's records, St Matins records, Ainleys and the like. There is only HMV left, (I no longer live in the area so I don't know), am I alone in missing real record shops?? I know and understand the advantages of online shopping, but it is still a real shame. In saying that I did on Sunday spend a great hour browsing in Cambridge's branch of Fopp, the nearest I get to a real shop selling real music.
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123