Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaravan - First Impressions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 17:08
Richard Sinclair is great!
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 17:05
Thoughts?

You should get more Canterbury albums: Hatfield & the North's both albums, Khan's Space Shanty, Picchio dal Pozzo's debut and Caravan's Waterloo Lily, if you like some jazzy/jams in your music.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 16:50
I haven't heard If I Could . . . but I prefer For Girls . . . to In the Land . . .
WatcherOfTheSkies88 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 16:45
Just started listening to Caravan for the first time. Bought and listened to "If I could do it all over again, I'd do it all over you" and "In the Land of Grey and Pink", and wanted to give my first impressions of what I've heard...

I have to say that I think that "If I Could..." is a much better album than "In The Land...". "If I could..." just seems to have consistently better songs throughout, especially the "For Richard" suite, which is excellent. That song brilliantly weaves between sections with great melodies. Also, the title track is great, along with "And I Wish I Were Stoned", "As I Feel I Die" and the "With an Ear to the Ground" suite.

As far as "In The Land..." goes... I'm not really a fan of "Golf Girl". Also, "Nine Feet Underground" is not one of the best 20+ epics that I've ever heard. The whole suite just seems to not have much flow to it, and a lot of the melodies are not particularly memorable. The 6 minute intro section in particular is kind of boring... it just keeps on going, and doesn't really go anywhere. I did really enjoy the very last section of the song though and I also did really like "Winter Wine". However, overall, I'm surprised that so many people consider "In The Land..." to be their best album.

Thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123