Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 20:25
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

[More or less the same but Lake belts his highs nicely while Gabriel can sound rather weak in his upper range.  The highs on Dancing with the moonlit knight, for example, are not very high but it sounds high because Gabriel is struggling to get there.  On the lower end, too, both have good reach with Gabriel possibly having the edge there.

You know I'm a fan of Peter and voted for him, I consider Gabriel a great vocalist, but I try to be impartial.
Dancing sounds great in studio (remember that SEbtP is perfectly produced), but I have several videos of Gabriel in concert with Genesis and this is what I found:
  • Peter struggles and has a couple problems in "Can you tell me where my country Lies. Said the Unifaun to his true love eyes".
  • Where he sings "It lies with me cries the Queen of maybe, for her merchandise, he traded in his prize " he really suffers to reach the high pitch and has looses the key, and the last word (where he goes higher) is where he has more problems, he has to force the throat and not even then manages to gain control.
  • But when he reaches "Paperlate, Cried a voice in the crowd" he regains strength and confidence, from here everything is just perfect.
And the pattern repeats in every video.
Still, I believe he's the most communicative and emotional singer in the market, something hat Greg lacks.
Iván

I got the Genesis Live Boxset a few months ago, and I must say, given the Gabriel era live material I heard, that I like better the live versions of the songs. On one side, they play with more energy, and specially Collins is on fire on the drums (which would usually be very low in the studio albums); on the other side, Gabriel's vocals sound less annoying (in some cases, as with the NY City song, MUCH less annoying). And, as a matter of fact, "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" is perhaps the one song that I liked the most live... it's so much more potent (again... those drums).
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 17:45
Greg Lake. He also tends to sing better lyrics. He also reminds me of me more.
rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 16:59
Greg Lake's voice was very beautiful way back then, and Peter Gabriel voice is still strong - so, sorry Greg,
my vote is for Peter ( again ).
...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 13:58
Gabriel. His voice is verry warm and beautiful, though Lake is a great singer too.
This night wounds time.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 10:23

[
More or less the same but Lake belts his highs nicely while Gabriel can sound rather weak in his upper range.  The highs on Dancing with the moonlit knight, for example, are not very high but it sounds high because Gabriel is struggling to get there.  On the lower end, too, both have good reach with Gabriel possibly having the edge there.

You know I'm a fan of Peter and voted for him, I consider Gabriel a great vocalist, but I try to be impartial.

Dancing sounds great in studio (remember that SEbtP is perfectly produced), but I have several videos of Gabriel in concert with Genesis and this is what I found:

• Peter struggles and has a couple problems in "Can you tell me where my country Lies. Said the Unifaun to his true love eyes".
  • Where he sings "It lies with me cries the Queen of maybe, for her merchandise, he traded in his prize " he really suffers to reach the high pitch and has looses the key, and the last word (where he goes higher) is where he has more problems, he has to force the throat and not even then manages to gain control.
  • But when he reaches "Paperlate, Cried a voice in the crowd" he regains strength and confidence, from here everything is just perfect.
And the pattern repeats in every video.

Still, I believe he's the most communicative and emotional singer in the market, something hat Greg lacks.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 01 2012 at 14:34

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 08:02
I like more Lake's voice. But Gabriel's career is better. So, no vote for now.
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 06:01
Greg Lake, perhaps my favourite vocalist of all time, gets my vote.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 03:49
Since we consider vocal timbres only, I vote for Lake.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 00:28
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Greg Lake has a better vocal range, that's beyond doubt, but is a bit soulless.

Peter Gabriel is the most emotional and communicative artist, he's by far a better vocalist.

Iván

Don't know what you mean by the word "better" as in better vocal range. Greg has the sweeter vocal chords of the two singers, but Gabriel has a much wider vocal range I would have thought.

Greg deals perfectly with low and high ranges and was much more powerful, Peter has problems with extremely high ranges, that's why he uses that semi yodel to cover that problem and adds drama to the lyrics.

Iván

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 23:59
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Peter Gabriel is the most emotional and communicative artist, he's by far a better vocalist.

Iván

Don't know what you mean by the word "better" as in better vocal range. Greg has the sweeter vocal chords of the two singers, but Gabriel has a much wider vocal range I would have thought.

More or less the same but Lake belts his highs nicely while Gabriel can sound rather weak in his upper range.  The highs on Dancing with the moonlit knight, for example, are not very high but it sounds high because Gabriel is struggling to get there.  On the lower end, too, both have good reach with Gabriel possibly having the edge there.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 23:51

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 17:43

Iván

geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 17:14
Peter Gabriel, who puts so much emotion in his voice. Greg lake has also a beautiful voice but I personaly prefer Peter over Greg. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 00:51
Peter Gabriel

no contest
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 23:06
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Hmmm - Giant Hogweed vs Giant Haystacks?

Voice only, I'd say Gabriel, but if we're talking overall songwriting, career & credibility... Definitely Gabriel

I really like this post, it makes so much ummm....sense!
Clap

sideburndude... View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 20:58
Greg lake is a better bassist than singer and Peter Gabriel has a far superior stage presence. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 14:28

Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

I think a lot of people missed the point of this poll!! It asks who is the better SINGER, not anything about lyrics or how good an ablum is or how many characters a person can assume while performing!!!! On a PURELY VOCAL level Greg Lake is far superior. Gabriel may know how to USE his limited vocals to great effect but that doesn't make him a good singer. I watched the bonus footage of Genesis live on the 1970-1975 boxset and Gabriel was downright awful at times. He really was not a good singer IMO Even his theatrics on I know What I Like were painful to watch.
Very good post.  In fact, the OP was even more specific, just the voice.  Sorry, Lake just so easily has a better voice and sings much more cleanly and comfortably.  Gabriel goes off even on studio recordings, to say nothing of live performances.  He might somehow still make it all very convincing, but the voice is not his asset.  It is not very attractive and its thick texture is the only saving grace which allows him to sing over the music when required. I think following up Gabriel Genesis with a recording of any really good rock singer will immediately make the difference apparent.

Exactly my thoughts too, still, many people prefer Gabriel's voice over Lake's.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 10:22
Originally posted by progprogprog progprogprog wrote:

It's impossible to compare two persons in a general manner, everyone has something to offer. As I stated in the first post, this poll is about the voice factor, not their entire career. 
Also I'm really surprised by the result of the poll.Wacko

Because they most likely didn't read your post that accompanied the poll title and voted on an overall basis.  It may have helped if you'd named the poll as Lake or Gabriel: who has the better voice.  Yeah...sorry, progheads!  LOL  Got to be very, very specific.
progprogprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 08:47
It's impossible to compare two persons in a general manner, everyone has something to offer. As I stated in the first post, this poll is about the voice factor, not their entire career. 
Also I'm really surprised by the result of the poll.Wacko

Edited by progprogprog - January 13 2012 at 08:48
Always thinking in extremes.That's my way to beat boredom.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 22:15
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

But that's like saying Petrucci can play faster than Clapton and expecting it to be meaningful. I still prefer Clapton every time. I'd take songwriting ability over songplaying ability nearly any day. They're both essential, but the one precludes the other.

The poll IS about voice, not who is the better artist.  In any case, faster is not necessarily better as far as guitarwork goes.  Just how good a songwriter is Clapton anyway?  Maybe better than Petrucci, I don't know, but he is again a great instrumentalist rather than a great songwriter.  What he has is lovely slide technique, which Petrucci hardly seems to use given his metal roots.

If I asked you which of Annie Haslam and Steven Wilson is the better singer, you probably wouldn't have much confusion about it.  Lake and Gabriel are relatively more evenly matched.  For even though Lake has, at least to my ears, the better voice comfortably, he is not a great singer either and has his own set of limitations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>