Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull Fan Central: JT Appreciation Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 09:58
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

"Revived"? It seems to be a really good album. And has a lot of people as guest musicians, including Martin Barre.

I liked Abrahams first album all those years ago.......just listened to some tracks and his comments on you tube. 'Revived' is a very basic blues rock album and many of the covers are oldies done in a traditional blues rock manner. Not something I would play very often....but blues fans will like it.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 09:32
His website says it will be avaible this month.

And there are this, and this news about it in Team Rock. Apparently, is another hard rock offering.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 09:10
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Can we talk about this new album of Martin Barre, "Back to Steel"?
The last album of Barre that I listened is "Order of Play" and honestly IMO this is not Prog Rock BUT great Hard Rock in my ears. I expected more than this and its disappointed me.
I don't heard about "Back to Steel" . Do you have any information about that?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 18:31
Yes, that's it: Revived. And he did say that Barre was also on the album along with other icons.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 18:29
"Revived"? It seems to be a really good album. And has a lot of people as guest musicians, including Martin Barre.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 18:19
A friend of mine has the latest from Mick Abrams, I'm not sure of the year, but says it's a blast and he loves blues rock. I know that Abrams had some heart issues not too long ago, so I'm up on his current activities.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 18:17
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I would like to ask, as we were discussing the Rock Island, RtB and Catfish albums, why Anderson stuck to a  strict distinctive musical style in those albums such as hard rock, blues rock and Eastern tinged Arabic/Indian influences which probably hurt a few of those albums instead of helping them. 

Rotating the musical styles? I mean, they just got off the electronic, he maybe want to return to more simples stuff. And then, traveling the world, he discovered another kind of folk. Perhaps...
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 18:15

^I would if I heard the album Gustavo. Unfortunately, I don't foresee that one in my future.

I havent heard yet as well, but I've read a good review in Team Rock magazine... so, I'am with high hopes that Martin is re-founding blues rock. Who knows?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 18:13
I would like to ask, as we were discussing the Rock Island, RtB and Catfish albums, why Anderson stuck to a  strict distinctive musical style in those albums such as hard rock, blues rock and Eastern tinged Arabic/Indian influences which probably hurt a few of those albums instead of helping them. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 18:06
^I would if I heard the album Gustavo. Unfortunately, I don't foresee that one in my future.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 18:03
Can we talk about this new album of Martin Barre, "Back to Steel"?
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 13:35

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Sorry, fellas, but I couldn't disagree more. Haven't heard Under Wraps and Catfish Rising yet, but Dot Com is by far my least favourite Tull album. A huge disappointment after the excellent Roots to Branches.

"Hot Mango Flush" is, as far as I'm concerned, easily their worst composition (if you can call it that). The lyrics are downright embarrassing, with Ian just enumerating a bunch of seemingly unrelated (although I guess you could say there's a connection, just not a very good one, IMO, what's a hot mango flush anyway? well, I know where I'd like Ian to flush that hot mango) stuff (something he's made a habit of on later albums, too, unfortunately). And then they had the brilliant idea of revisiting it on "Mango Surprise", as if one track of that drivel wasn't enough! Dead /rant

Bar "El Niño", where they go almost metal, which is a nice change of pace, every track on this album is, at best, forgettable. Close to a 1 star album, this one, in my book, but I can see it warranting the "for fans and collectors" stamp, although this fan certainly could've done without it.
I'm afraid you've got us wrong Bard. As Tull fans, we're polite but I'm safe in saying that the majority of us feel that the last run of Tull albums, sans RtB, like Catfish Raising, Rock Island and J-Tull .Com we're some of the band's weakest.
We may be polite, but we're not deaf. At least not at the moment.
ClapClapClap
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 13:25

Sorry, fellas, but I couldn't disagree more. Haven't heard Under Wraps and Catfish Rising yet, but Dot Com is by far my least favourite Tull album. A huge disappointment after the excellent Roots to Branches.

"Hot Mango Flush" is, as far as I'm concerned, easily their worst composition (if you can call it that). The lyrics are downright embarrassing, with Ian just enumerating a bunch of seemingly unrelated (although I guess you could say there's a connection, just not a very good one, IMO, what's a hot mango flush anyway? well, I know where I'd like Ian to flush that hot mango) stuff (something he's made a habit of on later albums, too, unfortunately). And then they had the brilliant idea of revisiting it on "Mango Surprise", as if one track of that drivel wasn't enough! Dead /rant

Bar "El Niño", where they go almost metal, which is a nice change of pace, every track on this album is, at best, forgettable. Close to a 1 star album, this one, in my book, but I can see it warranting the "for fans and collectors" stamp, although this fan certainly could've done without it.
I'm afraid you've got us wrong Bard. As Tull fans, we're polite but I'm safe in saying that the majority of us feel that the last run of Tull albums, sans RtB, like Catfish Raising, Rock Island and J-Tull .Com we're some of the band's weakest.

Yeah....I'm a pretty big Tull fan so I think it's fair that we say it like it is. Those particular albums just aren;t that good.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 12:47

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 18:07
Tull should have taken a break after broadsword and re United in 1990. I'm happy with their 90s. Some duds on catfish and dotcom but plenty of solid bonus material
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 10:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I agree with the Bard here in saying that Dot Com is a really mediocre work ,  and imo so are Rock Island, Catfish Rising, and Wraps....I don't play these at all anymore. Too many other good Tull albums to worry about those.

I agree, Wu. Bad times for Tull, and to me inexplicable, given the magnificent output of the first ten albums. Inexplicable, perhaps, unless one considers Ian had resorted to hiring bands at union scale with very little input. If you listen to the '68 to '79 releases, the drumming was far superior (Bunker or Barlow - it didn't matter, the results were always fantastic), as were the keyboards (Evan and Palmer lent an air of classicism that is devoid post-'79). In retrospect, except for Martin Barre (and occasionally dear ol' Dave Pegg), the band took a back seat and the music suffered: a digression of faceless drummers, bassists and keyboardists).
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 09:52

Hi . Who said JT.Com is a great or perfect or ... album? As GKR said we said "Good" and I said " I like Hot mango ...". If you read again my first post I said this album not a Standard JT album and very easy to listening. BUT Honestly I like this album and I know this isn't great and I know 2-3 star enough for it.
I don't know about you but sometimes some weak albums or songs catch me an I enjoy to listen to them and I can't explain why and I don't have any reason to defend my favs (not opinion). 
Thanks
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 19:21
Dotcom era was Tulls best since 1980 I think. Dotcom, awol, wicked windows, far Alaska, dog ear years, hot mango flush and It all trickles down are quite good and melodic. Ian's voice is pretty smooth. Roots has more technical moments but the melodies are more straight forward and Ian's voice is a bit rougher. Roots is more consistent but com had the best tracks but also weakest tracks. Rock island has pretty crappy recording and vocals. 1989 was a crap period for music

Edited by dr prog - September 06 2015 at 19:22
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 13:06
Yeah, overall, I agree with you guys. I have at least 10 JT favourite albums before J-Tull.Com appears in the list - maybe more...

What I do agree enthusiastically is with what The Bard (what a good name) say above: Ian's voice is a serious matter. I would love to hear an instrumental album, meant to be instrumental and with great care. Maybe even a concept instrumental album, where you have to make the instruments talk and deliver the idea... like Divinities were, in a sense...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 12:51
I agree with the Bard here in saying that Dot Com is a really mediocre work ,  and imo so are Rock Island, Catfish Rising, and Wraps....I don't play these at all anymore. Too many other good Tull albums to worry about those.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>