Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are RUSH actually Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 27>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 01:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I don't think it's fair to compare Rush (or Yes or Genesis or King Crimson or Kansas or Utopia or Happy the Man, etc.) to the fusion and jazz-rock groups, and vice versa.

I don't expect bands like Rush, Tangerine Dream, Weather Report, Goblin and Santana to all scratch the same itch, which is why I listen to them all. Different vibes. "Different hearts beat on different strings."

It's okay if Rush isn't for you. But to return to the thread just to say Rush "isn't good prog" is just stirring the pot, no? 

Yup, agree.......He's putting up two polar opposite genres and styles of playing against each other.

I just LOVE to get you Rush guys riled up!!  LOL  I don't think there is another band on this site that engenders such loyalty!  

We all have our own favorites, and that's how it should be.  

Prog is good, even Rush.  Peace! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 00:49
Guys we have to argue RUSH are prog but don't compare them to other prog bands that's not fair, lmao.

WHAT THE f**k.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 00:43
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I don't think it's fair to compare Rush (or Yes or Genesis or King Crimson or Kansas or Utopia or Happy the Man, etc.) to the fusion and jazz-rock groups, and vice versa.

I don't expect bands like Rush, Tangerine Dream, Weather Report, Goblin and Santana to all scratch the same itch, which is why I listen to them all. Different vibes. "Different hearts beat on different strings."

It's okay if Rush isn't for you. But to return to the thread just to say Rush "isn't good prog" is just stirring the pot, no? 

Yup, agree.......He's putting up two polar opposite genres and styles of playing against each other.

Holy sh*t this forum is D E N S E.

It's porg, what do you expect!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 00:41

Heaven forbid contrasting styles, on a prog website, are argued, in a thread about RUSH and prog.

Sounds to me like all the RUSH marks are just triggered and arguing opinion-as-fact again!

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - May 22 2021 at 00:43

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 21:03

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 18:52

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 17:33

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Rush are prog. 

They just are not very good prog. 
Respect your opinion, but you've already mentioned you are not familiar with their catalog so the statement carries little to no weight.

I've gone on a Rush listening binge.  I've always liked some of their material, but the bar I use for "good prog" is damn high.  Much of Yes and Genesis don't reach it.   In fact, often I only can call one or two songs per LP as "good prog."  

I still consider Rush to be more of an arena-rock band than genuinely progressive.  They take the old three-man "power trio" format and tweak the edges, but lack of vocal harmonies, true keyboard expertise etc.  keep them below the best of Yes, KC and others.  I hear some brilliance at times, but not enough to put them on my own personal shelf.  

This is the type of thing I seek out in music.  Behold his playing, ye mighty, and despair. 

Edited by cstack3 - May 21 2021 at 17:35
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 14:59

Rush are prog. 

I'll stick with Rush. Everyone else can have Nektar.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 14:58

The last time I saw Santana was in '98, right before he/they blew up all over again with Supernatural. Whew! That album grates.

But the show was awesome, and they even played "Open Invitation"! Opening act Los Lobos came out onstage for a song.

Before that, I saw Santana on the double-headliner with Dylan. My then-gf couldn't handle Bob's chipmunk vocals, but I got her to stay just a few songs in so we could hear "All Along the Watchtower." But Santana's set was awesome, of course. His brother Jorge was there, too (and he kind of resembled Tony Iommi that night).
Santana is brilliant, we saw the Supernatural tour and have seen him 2 other times back in the early 90s. I could never listen to Dylan, I've never been a fan of that American folk singer/songwriter music.

Not a fan, either. I just knew he'd play "Watchtower" early on to keep people from leaving. LOL I love Jimi's version.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 10:05

Rush are prog. 

Respect your opinion, but you've already mentioned you are not familiar with their catalog so the statement carries little to no weight.

My opinion of Yes and Genesis is the same. They were progressive but are now only prog, and both Yes and Genesis became much bigger monster pop rock artists than Rush. Pop rock FM stations force play Tom Sawyer but it's not a pop rock song, although Owner Of A Lonely Heart and Rhythm Of Love can be heard on any Top 40 FM station.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 09:57

The last time I saw Santana was in '98, right before he/they blew up all over again with Supernatural. Whew! That album grates.

But the show was awesome, and they even played "Open Invitation"! Opening act Los Lobos came out onstage for a song.

Before that, I saw Santana on the double-headliner with Dylan. My then-gf couldn't handle Bob's chipmunk vocals, but I got her to stay just a few songs in so we could hear "All Along the Watchtower." But Santana's set was awesome, of course. His brother Jorge was there, too (and he kind of resembled Tony Iommi that night).

Santana is brilliant, we saw the Supernatural tour and have seen him 2 other times back in the early 90s. I could never listen to Dylan, I've never been a fan of that American folk singer/songwriter music.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 23:50
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

It's a lost cause. There have been some very inaccurate ideas about what falsetto is in this thread, but ultimately, it's about Rush. I didn't want to say anything. But about Rush, I don't think Geddy was using falsetto to hit those notes back in the day. That was all chest voice. Maybe it was those tight pants?

Mixed voice at the most.  Never used a true head voice.  Every high note he sang is sung at full tilt where his fellow prog countertenor Jon Anderson has some ability to use a head voice. Geddy's high notes are simply a function of his natural voice being very high, which is evident when he speaks.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 23:22

Rush are prog. 

Bro we're trying to end the thread, come on, lmao.

Wink

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 22:51
Rush are prog. 

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 22:44
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

So I thought I clicked on the "Are Rush prog" thread and I find myself reading about Collins, McCartney and falsetto singing! Talk about off-topic.

btw - I'm not sure that McCartney's "screamy" voice as used in Maybe I'm Amazed is actually falsetto. I believe he achieved that by gargling bleach.

He absolutely sings in falsetto: listen at the 1:05 mark (it's not the "screamy" voice section): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slF3EBxZE6A

I wish some real trained singers would chime in here.

Singers don't always resort to falsetto/head voice because they can't hit the note; sometimes it's the tone they desire. Originally someone said that Collins was singing off-key, because he used head voice at one point. I believe Collins chose to use it; it was an aesthetic choice. He could absolutely hit those notes, as other recordings prove.

Talented, well-trained singers can blend between head and chest voice so that you don't even notice the transitions, and blend back and forth between the two seamlessly. But most cannot do this, not without training and instruction.

It's a lost cause. There have been some very inaccurate ideas about what falsetto is in this thread, but ultimately, it's about Rush. I didn't want to say anything. But about Rush, I don't think Geddy was using falsetto to hit those notes back in the day. That was all chest voice. Maybe it was those tight pants?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 17:16

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 16:47

I do like Got To Get You Into My Life, but only and only because Earth, Wind & Fire covered it and did a much better job of it.

EWF's awesome!

...word! Clap It's the only reason that pathetic movie sold tickets, to see EW&F perform.

We have tickets to Santana/EW&F but that just got bumped to 2022 SOB!!!! Angry

Rush were Progressive and are Prog

Edited by Catcher10 - May 20 2021 at 16:48
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 15:01

I do like Got To Get You Into My Life, but only and only because Earth, Wind & Fire covered it and did a much better job of it.

EWF's awesome!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 14:57
BTW.......who cares, most of PA is off topic.....it's not prog anymore, but it is psychedelic.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 14:54

Phil Collins singing Beatles songs may be the only way you get me to listen to them! LOL
I won't go that far...but I have stated before if someone else sang/performed those songs I might listen to them, but of course I doubt it LOL.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 27>