Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's Talk Steven Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 15:42
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I wish Wilson would record another Porcupine Tree album. I didn't like The Incident much at all. One problem I have with Porcupine Tree is the lack of a real soloist. Wilson is a capable guitarist, but he's just not in the realm of Hackett, Gilmour, Rothery, Howe, etc.

The general negative reaction to The Incident seemed to force Wilson's hand on PT. Basically you are saying that he decided to go in a direction that you don't like and wish he would go back to FOABP style music? For me I like to see artists at least try to grow and expand their horizons. I know its a matter of opinion and taste but I do like all his solo albums very much and more so than the last two PT albums. Deadwing was and will probably remain my favourite PT album. PT was perhaps stalling from an artistic point of view and I suspect Wilson wanted to keep the band intact so he could return to it a later stage while working with different musicians who themselves would bring a different dynamic. What's wrong with this?

Nothing is wrong with it. I suppose one reason I have never fully connected with PT or Wilson's output stems from the fact that the music doesn't really resonate that strongly with me. The music is interesting but it lacks that last ounce of depth and genuine emotion to keep me coming back. I keep telling  myself that I should be enjoying the music, but I just never made that connection.

What's wrong MI, you don't like constant melancholy themed Prog rock? Shame on you.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 15:37

I wish Wilson would record another Porcupine Tree album. I didn't like The Incident much at all. One problem I have with Porcupine Tree is the lack of a real soloist. Wilson is a capable guitarist, but he's just not in the realm of Hackett, Gilmour, Rothery, Howe, etc.

The general negative reaction to The Incident seemed to force Wilson's hand on PT. Basically you are saying that he decided to go in a direction that you don't like and wish he would go back to FOABP style music? For me I like to see artists at least try to grow and expand their horizons. I know its a matter of opinion and taste but I do like all his solo albums very much and more so than the last two PT albums. Deadwing was and will probably remain my favourite PT album. PT was perhaps stalling from an artistic point of view and I suspect Wilson wanted to keep the band intact so he could return to it a later stage while working with different musicians who themselves would bring a different dynamic. What's wrong with this?

Nothing is wrong with it. I suppose one reason I have never fully connected with PT or Wilson's output stems from the fact that the music doesn't really resonate that strongly with me. The music is interesting but it lacks that last ounce of depth and genuine emotion to keep me coming back. I keep telling  myself that I should be enjoying the music, but I just never made that connection.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 07 2014 at 15:38
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 15:07
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

TRTRTS is an absolute peach and his best work by a country mile.....I suppose that we may have a polarisation of opinion here....
For whatever reason, some albums grab people and some don't. As I matter of fact, I'm not crazy about his other two solo albums either and I love most albums by Porcupine Tree. Am I missing Colin and Gavin? Those two guys rock, IMHO.

Edited by SteveG - July 07 2014 at 15:14
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 15:04

I think Wilson is a fantastic psych guitarist, and I don't think PT were ever in need of a great soloist. They were not about that - even if you find some pretty cool guitar ones on Dark Matter and Shesmovedon and well a lot of other ones now that I think about itLOL
I actually think he's more skilled than Gilmour, but he may lack the emotional depth (then again who has Gilmour's feel?).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 14:44
TRTRTS is an absolute peach and his best work by a country mile.....I suppose that we may have a polarisation of opinion here....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 14:29
^Afraid I'm not with you on this on R,(and I usually am on posts) but TRTRTS seemed to me to have a deliberate 'post PT' vibe as if Wilson was trying to force a marked difference in tone from PT's work and his own. The album left me cold but I'm certainly in the minority on this one.

Edited by SteveG - July 07 2014 at 14:29
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 14:23

Originally posted by adenauer adenauer wrote:

The problem with The Incident was purely aesthetical for me. I'm not a musican (except maybe some xylophone in the kindergarten) so I don't focus on the technical side of the tracks, I've listened to the album now and then and for a long time it just seemed... boring. I couldn't find anything interesting to stick with, no tune no lyric line, nothing. It felt like it didn't stand out and I was dissapointed because that was never the case with earlier PT albums. And then one day I woke up with 'Blind House' stuck in my head, so I gave it one more try, hit shuffle and guess what. So I'm thinking maybe he went too far with the idea of an album as one piece of music? Instead of a sense of integrity I got the sense of thesameness.
That being said I grew to like The Incident very much, but it still remains my least favourite PT album. As for Fear Of A Blank Planet, it had a stronger idea behind it and that gave it more emotional impact. I mean, dude, Anesthetize!
I liked what the other guys brought into PT, and am also hoping for them to get back together but as recommended by SW, I don't hold my breath. He's now embracing his new career path as a 'music director', going back to being a member of a democratic band seems like a step back to him and I guess I can understand that. I wish one day he'll stop thinking of it as a regress but even I can't find any reasons in my head apart from sentimental ones

I'm interested in this idea that his solo music is less democratic in its process compared to PT. How true is that? Any solid proof? My thinking was that he wanted other musicians to contribute more to his music whereas PT was an old idea getting stale. If other members were contributing more than doesn't that suggest PT was never quite happening as a band in the first place because so many prefer the earlier albums when supposedly SW had an iron like grip on the artistic direction. His 3 solo albums suggest much great diversity than can come from just one guy making it all happen.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 14:05

The problem with The Incident was purely aesthetical for me. I'm not a musican (except maybe some xylophone in the kindergarten) so I don't focus on the technical side of the tracks, I've listened to the album now and then and for a long time it just seemed... boring. I couldn't find anything interesting to stick with, no tune no lyric line, nothing. It felt like it didn't stand out and I was dissapointed because that was never the case with earlier PT albums. And then one day I woke up with 'Blind House' stuck in my head, so I gave it one more try, hit shuffle and guess what. So I'm thinking maybe he went too far with the idea of an album as one piece of music? Instead of a sense of integrity I got the sense of thesameness.

That being said I grew to like The Incident very much, but it still remains my least favourite PT album. As for Fear Of A Blank Planet, it had a stronger idea behind it and that gave it more emotional impact. I mean, dude, Anesthetize!

I liked what the other guys brought into PT, and am also hoping for them to get back together but as recommended by SW, I don't hold my breath. He's now embracing his new career path as a 'music director', going back to being a member of a democratic band seems like a step back to him and I guess I can understand that. I wish one day he'll stop thinking of it as a regress but even I can't find any reasons in my head apart from sentimental ones

I'm interested in this idea that his solo music is less democratic in its process compared to PT. How true is that? Any solid proof? My thinking was that he wanted other musicians to contribute more to his music whereas PT was an old idea getting stale. If other members were contributing more than doesn't that suggest PT was never quite happening as a band in the first place because so many prefer the earlier albums when supposedly SW had an iron like grip on the artistic direction. His 3 solo albums suggest much great diversity than can come from just one guy making it all happen.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I keep thinking that he should go back to doing a nice PT album!

Not gonna happen, they stopped doing nice PT albums in 2001.
Bigger on the inside.
adenauer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:17

Edited by adenauer - July 07 2014 at 04:18
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 01:45
'The Incident' was great album, I prefer it over 'Fear of a Blank Planet'. All the hatred I've ever heard about 'The Incident' seems lacking any ground at all.
This night wounds time.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 01:12

Edited by richardh - July 07 2014 at 01:13
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 13:46
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 12:36
Hi,

I keep thinking that he should go back to doing a nice PT album!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
adenauer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 05:51
I've heard numerous people say he's a bad lyricist, 'remember me lover' having the worst lines ever supposedly. It was quite a shock to me, because I've always connected instantly with his words and always thought of him as a good wordsmith. Also 'remember me lover' was the only song on Incident that I actually liked for a long time before the album grew on me (took three years Ermm ) Then this thing comes out, he's now also doing short stories. I can see in the comments section that people love it but to me that's just bad writing. Epica is clearly not his destiny

What do you guys think?

Edited by adenauer - July 05 2014 at 05:53
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 20:38

Last couple of months I've been almost obssessing about SW, that's how hard The Raven hit me, and I've considered myself a massive fan of his work for many years now, mind you. There's just this one thing that I can't really get comfortable with: WHAT'S WITH THE FLUTE, STEVEN? I mean really, I love me some flute but this is definitely too much, I know he was aiming for a folk-murder-ballad atmosphere but all I get is images of leprechauns dancing around pots full of gold. Anyone back me up on this?
P.s. Also hello everyone, this is my first post here and apparently I've started with some very elegant whining.

I really like the flutes and winds he uses, and I feel I wouldn't like the album as much without them.
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 12:07
Hi Adenauer, Well I can understand your point. There is a contrast in between his music (really dark) and the flute.

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
adenauer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:06
Last couple of months I've been almost obssessing about SW, that's how hard The Raven hit me, and I've considered myself a massive fan of his work for many years now, mind you. There's just this one thing that I can't really get comfortable with: WHAT'S WITH THE FLUTE, STEVEN? I mean really, I love me some flute but this is definitely too much, I know he was aiming for a folk-murder-ballad atmosphere but all I get is images of leprechauns dancing around pots full of gold. Anyone back me up on this?

P.s. Also hello everyone, this is my first post here and apparently I've started with some very elegant whining.
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 09:06
Just for anyone who likes Insurgentes, the bonus tracks from the special edition can be downloaded from Steven wilson's soundcloud page. 'Collecting Space' and 'The 78' as as good as the album tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wilson
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 06:39
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Strangely enough, I don't care for Insurgentes at all.  I love Grace For Drowning and The Raven albums though, and would say I probably prefer the former, for it's off the wall jazzy flavor and more interesting compositions.  The Raven is very concise and well crafted, but because of that seems a bit cold.  There is no denying the brilliance of it though.I also love Porcupine Tree, mostly the early albums, but In Absentia and Deadwing are great albums as well.  Didn't care for the last two PTree albums, though The Incident was not bad, just not up to their usual standards (and Fear Of A Blank Planet just doesn't do much of anything for me).I have not heard any of Wilson's other projects though, aside from a couple Blackfield songs which were okay, but nothing that made me want to listen any further.Oh, I do have the Storm Corrosion album and really enjoy that one, as it seems a nice blend of Grace For Drowning and Harvest.

I find it strange that possibly one of the most emotionally responsive CD's I have in my collection can be considered 'Cold'.....The title track is so atmospheric it makes the hairs stand up on my neck and arms, all this track needs is an extension out to 20 mins and a Stolt style hair-raising guitar solo in an extended reprise of the main themes and you would have a top 10 tracks of all time contender.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>