Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Did Floyd make the right decision about Barrett?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid Floyd make the right decision about Barrett?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 12:15
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

^ I read (think it was in the NME Book of Rock) that Barrett turned up at the WYWH sessions and said he was "ready to do his bit" whatever that might have meant. Wasn't he also no longer the original 'pretty' Syd by 1975? They probably didn't want a fat, bald lead singer/guitarist with a penchant for playing one chord at that stage in their career, sad though the situation was. If he was able to produce decent material perhaps he could have written for the band, but again that seems an unlikely scenario.

While this seems to show, at first glance, that Syd suffered from the delusion that he was still in the band, he may just have made a joke about that, being amazed about what a big thing his former band had become.  It would have been very much in his character.  Of course, given the state he was in, as you said, he had no place in the band as it was in 1975, and that was clear to everyone.  Certainly, the band was nostalgic about what he had been before he screwed up, but it was obvious that he no longer was what he used to be in '67.  Sometimes, well, things change, and won't return.

Edited by WeepingElf - April 10 2015 at 12:17
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 12:06
Oh, I don't know. Gandalf wasn't all that bad in the lead role. He was at the time a mildly talented, detached rock star in his own right which is all the role really called for. The problem was with Alan Barker's vision for The Wall which generally blew as a whole (and he is a 'hole).
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 11:47
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

...anyone culpable in providing Bob Geldof with a mainstream cinema role re The Wall is clearly harboring a war crime against better judgement.

I don't think that using Bob Geldof for The Wall movie was Pink Floyd's choice. Roger Waters wanted to play the role himself but either the producer or the director insisted on using someone else instead of Waters.

So presumably, despite holding the rights to the movie, da Floyd, with all the  bargaining cards in their favour, acceded to the view that notwithstanding Geldof's complete inappropriateness for the role, he was the best candidate?

The only way "The Wall" could have worked as a film with Roger Waters in the lead would have been as a comedy. Unintentional comedy, but come on! One of my favourite scenes in the film is when Bob trashes his hotel room, I just can't see Roger having the same anger. 
He'd more likely be taking photographs of every single item in the room and spending money to get those images printed onto toilet roll! LOL
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 09:40
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

...anyone culpable in providing Bob Geldof with a mainstream cinema role re The Wall is clearly harboring a war crime against better judgement.

I don't think that using Bob Geldof for The Wall movie was Pink Floyd's choice. Roger Waters wanted to play the role himself but either the producer or the director insisted on using someone else instead of Waters.

So presumably, despite holding the rights to the movie, da Floyd, with all the  bargaining cards in their favour, acceded to the view that notwithstanding Geldof's complete inappropriateness for the role, he was the best candidate?
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 09:18

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 08:50
I think that for all his inevitable short lived artistic ripeness, engendered by a precipitous mental fragility, Barrett made the right decision about Floyd. We never had to suffer the pitiful spectacle of his erstwhile colleagues boycott Israel with Floyd albums still mysteriously available in their stores....together with anyone culpable in providing Bob Geldof with a mainstream cinema role re The Wall is clearly harboring a war crime against better judgement.

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 10 2015 at 09:04
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 08:03
^The 1977 NME Book of Rock is actually quite a good read and even got me into some new prog bands - Greenslade, Colosseum, Argent. From memory it is quite accurate with facts and was edited by Nick Logan and Bob Woffinden with thankfully little involvement from the usual cast of NME pseuds at that time - Morley, Burchill, Parsons, Shaar Murray et al.

Edited by Cactus Choir - April 10 2015 at 08:05
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 06:16
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

^ I read (think it was in the NME Book of Rock) that Barrett turned up at the WYWH sessions and said he was "ready to do his bit" whatever that might have meant. Wasn't he also no longer the original 'pretty' Syd by 1975? They probably didn't want a fat, bald lead singer/guitarist with a penchant for playing one chord at that stage in their career, sad though the situation was. If he was able to produce decent material perhaps he could have written for the band, but again that seems an unlikely scenario.

Well, NME is the worse fact-bending publication that ever existed.

Maybe Syd thought he was still in the band after a "coma" of five years (was he even aware 5 years had gone by?), but if he had made any moves towards being reintegrated, we'd probably have heard it all from the Barrett-lovers and the post-barrett Floyd-haters

highly unlikely
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 06:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

And don't forget, Barrett didn't cure cancer, he only produced marketable pop music.

Having heard his solo albums, I would have to dispute the use of the phrase "marketable pop music".
I would not. None of Barrett's solo albums are what I would consider to be of "cult artist" status and have probably sold many times platinum over 40 years time, 
I can't find any figures for his albums sales offhand, but only his first solo album charted (at number 40 in the UK) so that doesn't immediately sound like "many times platinum".
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 06:06
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 06:06

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

And don't forget, Barrett didn't cure cancer, he only produced marketable pop music.

Having heard his solo albums, I would have to dispute the use of the phrase "marketable pop music".
I would not. None of Barrett's solo albums are what I would consider to be of "cult artist" status and have probably sold many times platinum over 40 years time, which has as much to do with who he was, as well as what music he actually produced, and that makes his makes his music quite marketable.  So that leads us to the question: What then is pop music? (with apologies to Wiki)

The term popular music belongs to any of a number of musical genres "having wide appeal"[1][2] and typically distributed to large audiences through the music industry. It stands in contrast to both art music[3][4][5] and traditional music, which are typically disseminated academically or orally to smaller, local audiences.[3][4][5] The original application of the term is to music of the 1880s Tin Pan Alley period in the United States.[1] Although popular music sometimes is known as "pop music", the two terms are not interchangeable[citation needed]. Popular music is a generic term for music of all ages that appeals to popular tastes,[6] whereas pop music usually refers to a specific musical genre.[citation needed]

As Barrett's music, and Floyd's for that matter, was professionally produced, packaged and marketed to obtain maximum sales, I think it better fits this definition:

According to Simon Frith pop music is produced "as a matter of enterprise not art", is "designed to appeal to everyone" and "doesn't come from any particular place or mark off any particular taste". It is "not driven by any significant ambition except profit and commercial reward ... and, in musical terms, it is essentially conservative". It is, "provided from on high (by record companies, radio programmers and concert promoters) rather than being made from below ... Pop is not a do-it-yourself music but is professionally produced and packaged".[14]

Dueling pistols at dawn. I'll even let you shoot first.

All I meant was, the average "pop" fan (i.e. someone who buys stuff in the top 40) would listen to a Syd Barrett album and probably say something like "wtf is this?".
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 05:05
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

When Pink Floyd were in the middle of their WYWH sessions, Syd Barrett made an unexpected visit to ask if he can rejoin the band, but was ultimately declined. Was this the right thing to do and how would it have impacted the bands sound in the later albums? Comment your thoughts.

uh, can you expand, please?

personally, I never heard that this was Syd's goal

I don't think  he was in a state (though I wouldn't know of this since I wasn't there) to ask for that... Most likely, if that was the intent, he was driven to it by someone else (but who?).

As for Floyd making the right choice, would Echoes, AHM, DSOTM, Animals or even WYWH (despite Syd being the inspiration) have been recorded at all.

Don't think it's a question of right or wrong, here... there was a situation to deal with, and it was probably the only realistic exit possible. They didn't give up on him immediately either. 
there are Syd admirers claiming the band did him wrong, but but would've a sound Syd no have done the same if it had happened to Mason, back in 66??

NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 04:17
From what I know of this sad tale, the best thing that floyd did was to leave him alone in later years and to help ensure his PRS royalties got passed through.
Shame some of these door knocking "fans" and hack journos could not have shown the same respect.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 02:45
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

When Pink Floyd were in the middle of their WYWH sessions, Syd Barrett made an unexpected visit to ask if he can rejoin the band, but was ultimately declined. Was this the right thing to do and how would it have impacted the bands sound in the later albums? Comment your thoughts.

I recall that Mr Townshend wrote at his former blog that no one was kicked Syd Barrett's ass out of the band, but that they fell out creatively.
Also, Pete Townshend said that it was no coincidence that Syd Barrett appeared in the studio (to hear the song that is "dedicated to him") as he was still involved in the financial affairs of the band and see them socially from time to time. 
Townshend wrote, as a friend of the band and a personal friend of David Gilmour who contributed to Townshend' successful White City  the album and participate at Townshend's solo tours, that many of "Syd Barrett is totally crazy" kind of stories were produced by the band, with Syd as an accomplice.
As Pete Townshend pointed out, the creative differences between the band and Syd Barret was much less interesting for the newspaper than just to write about "how terrible is Syd Barrett's madness induced by LSD", so that it is as Pink Floyd's history was built.

Pete Townshend also said that they all took a lot of LSD at the time when Syd Barret took a lot of LSD, but he once lived with a guy who was the largest producer of LSD in the UK, so it was a great contribution to the legend of Syd Barrett's "terrible madness" due to LSD.

Re fat Syd at the pic from the studio, that weight can be induced by heavy doses of anti-psychotic drugs, but much more often by just eating too much food; it is true that Syd Barret spend some time in a private house for "lost souls", but no formal therapy program was there because Syd Barrett's "schizophrenia" has never been diagnosed.
Taking all this into account, Pete Townshend pointed out that Syd Barrett had quite a normal life away from the scene that it was no longer interesting to him. He enjoyed in a lots of nice food and not have to think about his "rock star figure", he was riding his bike, he has friends, this and that; he actually lived an ordinary life; in secure actually, because he received his royalty checks. 

One could say that it was not normal for a rock star to live to the end of life with his mother. However, so many ordinary guys does not have to be a sign of madness but it just happens to live with their mums, and as Mr Townshend have already pointed out, Syd was already too far from the lifestyle of the British rock aristocracy. Syd Barrett was an ordinary guy when he went to Abbey Road to hear the song "dedicated to him".

Edited by Svetonio - April 10 2015 at 04:10
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 01:36

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

If Syd had remained with the band, and they were determined to only play music with him, then they would have folded very quickly. Even tracks like `Vegetable Man' and `Scream They Last Scream', which are still cool psych tracks, are pretty incoherent, messy and unfocused, so it seems the well of mixing psychedelic with a cool melodic pop tune like `Lucifer Sam', `See Emily Play' and `Arnold Layne' etc had already started to run a little dry.

Sticking with Syd, they'd be not much more than a brief interesting footnote from the psychedelic era only.
Ermm However valid your point is, that wasn't the question asked in the OP.

The questions I would ask are: Why did Syd arrive unannounced and uninvited at Abbey Road in 1975? How did he know that the band where there working on their follow-up to Dark Side of the Moon? And why weren't the members of Floyd aware that he was going to turn-up? 

I suspect that only Jenner or King can answer those questions because it would be an amazing coincidence if the incident happened purely by chance or on a whim.

I've always had the feeling that the band would have run like hell if they knew an encounter with Syd was eminent, but that's just a hunch. And I agree that the meeting was probably a set up by Jenner or someone else at Abbey Road  that was close to both parties. 

I see what you did thereSmile

Band at the top of the tree selling shedloads and having just made the breakthrough now bring back ex burnt out member would possibly have been the oddest thing ever. I can't believe this thread has got to so many pages. I guess its a slow news weekLOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 19:12

Thanks for the assessment. You certainly took this personally. Btw, I thought you had left the conversation?

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 19:09
^You have what is called selective vision. You focus on something in the definition that stands out to you and that you feel you can challenge, and then disregard the rest of it. I'm not impressed.
Last post from me, so have at it.

Edited by SteveG - April 09 2015 at 19:11
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 19:04

^Just as serious as you were by basing the crux of Firth's statement on a figure of speech such as "it's music for everyone" and then deriding it as a way to discredit his definition. As soon as you did that I should left the conversation. I know better now. Adios

Au contraire, I pointed that out because it stood out. I wasn't trying to defuse your argument. All you did with your previous post is insinuate it's alright for you to be condescending, but it's not okay for me to be condescending.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 19:02
^Just as serious as you were by basing the crux of Firth's statement on a figure of speech such as "it's music for everyone" and then deriding it as a way to discredit his definition. As soon as you did that I should left the conversation. I know better now. Adios
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 18:54
I'm not evading anything. When you say something like "Santeria music is not for everyone," you're not being serious. At least not from my perspective. That's on the level of saying not everybody has the culinary palate of Andrew Zimmern or not every man with with a smidgen of Native American ancestry will go on his vision quest.  

Pop music is meant as music for the masses. That's why I pointed out that one bit of Firth's statement. When you remove that, you can be left with something quite different, like cooking without salt. Syd's music may have been distributed in music stores, but I don't think it has mass appeal. Just my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>