Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Foxtrot Underated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 14:56
I don't think so. To demonstrate the overratedness of Foxtrot in comparison to Selling England I use these two ProgArchives reviews as exhibit A:

A Five Star Review of Foxtrot by Vasco:

Originally posted by vasco vasco wrote:

this is wthout ANY DOUBT one masterpiece of progressive music, one of the best albums in rock history!it is just AMAZING!!!with songs such as supper's ready,get'em out by friday,watcher of the skys and an incredibly UNDERater song: Can-Utility And The Coastliners! God I wich this was a 20 minutes long track with the same melody.The middle instrumental section is for me, one of the most beautifull and emotional melodies I ever heard in my ENTIRE life, among others, like hackett's final section on "shadow of the hierophant" from the "voyage of the acolyte" album(wich I highly recomend as one of the best progressive records ever).Anyway, Foxtrot is among selling englan and nursery cryme,the bests albums of genesis.By this time, I'm still 14 years old, but I know I'll listen to this album forever!

A one star review of Selling England by the Pound by garla1lh:

Originally posted by garla1lh garla1lh wrote:

I had to check out this album, being that it is the most highly rated on prog archives. I was very disappointed! I had already not been a fan of genesis, but i was only familiar with Duke and Abacab, so I thought possibly that Genesis was much better earlier in their carrer and had just tapered off. Maybe thats the case, but this is still not a great album. Nothing about the musical quality of this album, or anything by Genesis for that matter is exceptional. The musical skill is simply average for me, and the songs are very boring with no truly memorable hooks. And some of the longer songs like the Cinema show seem to drag on for much longer than is pleasurable. Not an essential album at all. Possibly 2 stars, because fans of Genesis of course like Genesis, but I was so frustrated by the high ratings and lack of delivery that its a 1 star in my book.

;)

And garla thought more highly of Foxtrot, giving it a two, But, looking at some more reviews I see that some listeners had the opposite opinion.

Foxtrot is, as has been mentioned, a very highly rated album, and it is also a very muchly reviewed album. Selling England by the Pound is even higher rated and more reviewed. I happen to prefer the lower rated albums Trespass and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, but that isn't to say that I think people are underrating my preferred choices or overrating Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound. Frankly, no Genesis album would make my top 100, but to each his or her own.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 14:10
Foxtrot is just perfectly rated. My preferred Genesis album.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 14:09
I don't think so.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 13:56
Nah but Nursery is extremely overrated
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 13:54
I also think Foxtrot is one of Genesis's best but I actually think it is "overrated". If you look at the average rating on this database, it has a score of 4.60 which places it in the top 10 of prog albums. I personally don't think anything produced by Genesis deserves such a rank although I love the band very much.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Pinkyesgenesistull View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 13:40
I know a lot of people say selling england by the pound is the best Genesis album but personally I love foxtrot. Especially Supper's Ready and Get Em Out By Friday. Foxtrot in my opinion is the best Genesis album. Just my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456