Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 10:47
Hawkwind is an easy band to enjoy.  It's like picking up a fantasy novel.  As long as you're willing to go along on their particular trip, they will entertain you almost without fail.  There are good Hawkwind albums and great Hawkwind albums, but I have yet to hear a bad Hawkwind album --  HOWEVER:  one must be careful when buying something with the Hawkwind name on it.  I can only vouch 100% for their original studio albums.  There are a ton of weird-ass compilations and dubious live albums out there that are definitely of extremely variable quality.  But stick to the original studio albums and some wisely chosen live albums, and you're set.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 10:18
I think the first 6 counting Space Ritual are all rated fairly. They did do quite a few mediocre albums in the 80's and 90's.
I don't own anything after Warrior but I've been meaning to pick up Quark and Levitation for a long time.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 08:11

Hi,

To this day, if there is a perfect band for me to play on my car LOUD,  this is it.

I still love it and I do not see the ability to stop loving it.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 04:42
As much as I love Hawkwind, they could pretty inconsistent with quality, both in terms of musicanship and production, especially pre 1980's. Even their best albums have awful low points, where it's clear that had either run out of money, time, ideas, or were simply too battered or couldn't be bothered to finish the album in a coherant way.

You never quite knew what you were going to get with Hawkwind. Was Nik Turner going to play in tune on this album? Was half the album going to comprise appalling bootlegs of mediocre live performances that you would never want to hear, because they didn't have enough material for an album, but had a deadline to release an album anyway.

Albums like Astounding Sounds and Levitation are examples of how great Hawkwind could really be when they had the material, had reherased the material, took production seriously, and didn't do too many drugs.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 03:51
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

Hawkwind has been my favourite band for a year now, and it seems that they are generally regarded as one of the greats of space rock. But how come their albums are so lowly rated here on progarchives? I have heard the argument "their musicality is too messy", but then how come albums like 'Trout Mask Replica' are rated so highly? I don't really mind, but it seems to me that the founders of space-rock should get more recognition in an online progressive rock community.

Who knows? Maybe Hawkwind lack the whimsy most prog is known for, or maybe their music doesn't contain gratuitous displays of technical proficiency, or maybe many of their albums have a more mainstream feel, and on and on. Space rock doesn't have the same allure as symph, but that's okay. It just means there's something for everybody. Hawkwind have albums I don't care for, but the ones I like -- Warrior, Quark, Chronicle (etc.) -- I REALLY like. And that's what matters.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 03:41
Check out Nik Turner's Sphynx - Xitintoday - Fantastical sh*t !!!
And the Hawk's 'Electric Tepee', 'It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous', 'Levitation' etc. etc. (if you haven't already...). Hawkwind are awesome, though not everyone's cuppa tea.

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 03 2013 at 03:44
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 03:37
As far as both music style and artistic ethos are concerned, HW really have more in common with the "Kosmische Musik" scene of Germany/Austria/Switzerland than with the rest of their generation's British prog/psych scene. I've once heard them described as the most German-sounding band to ever come out of the UK and it's not an unfair description.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 01:27
Hawkwind has been my favourite band for a year now, and it seems that they are generally regarded as one of the greats of space rock. But how come their albums are so lowly rated here on progarchives? I have heard the argument "their musicality is too messy", but then how come albums like 'Trout Mask Replica' are rated so highly? I don't really mind, but it seems to me that the founders of space-rock should get more recognition in an online progressive rock community.

BTW, to all you Hawkwind fans, check out Nik-Turner's "Space Gypsy". Fantastical sh*t.
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789