Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProgDay 2016
    Posted: September 24 2016 at 06:25
Thumbs Up  Awesome. Can't wait to hear what you all come up with!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 00:42
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

damn right you do!!  I'm getting old and crockety and don't travel as well as I used to. You all need to get down to D.C/Baltimore.

Great news about a 5th. Even better to hear you'll be on it. LOL Dan and Pat are lovely guys... but I liken them to modern day Fripps.  If you ain't cutting it.. you are out on your ass. I don't think they've had the same lineup for any album have they?

That they are. I'm pretty sure there were multiple lineup changes sometimes between records. I think it's the philosophy of drastically reinventing the band's approach for each record that has proven to be tumultuous. However, I think it's safe to say that no one is going anywhere for this album, and hopefully many more in the future!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 07:02
damn right you do!!  I'm getting old and crockety and don't travel as well as I used to. You all need to get down to D.C/Baltimore.

Great news about a 5th. Even better to hear you'll be on it. LOL Dan and Pat are lovely guys... but I liken them to modern day Fripps.  If you ain't cutting it.. you are out on your ass. I don't think they've had the same lineup for any album have they?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 13:35
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah..  missed you all and likely will miss Tea Club through this current album cycle.

Bring back the NJ Proghouse homecoming weekend damnit....Angry 

if anything so we can all go back to that kicking Peruvian joint you found Robert...  I haven't had a Pisco Sour in far too long LOL

Yeah, we're already writing album 5 now Wish you could have been at the Philly show with Haken and Thank You Scientist last week! I guess I'll have to get working on booking an Orion show.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 14:21
yeah..  missed you all and likely will miss Tea Club through this current album cycle.

Bring back the NJ Proghouse homecoming weekend damnit....Angry 

if anything so we can all go back to that kicking Peruvian joint you found Robert...  I haven't had a Pisco Sour in far too long LOL
3RDegree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 22:16
Missed you and Raff this whole past album cycle. Hope to rectify that next time if we decide to play some shows.
www.3RDegreeONLINE.com www.facebook.com/3RDegree "Defiling Perfectly Good Songs With Prog Since 1990"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 09:46
We'd love to see you back Robert... be it on stage... or just with us in the audience.  Been a good bit since we've got together.
3RDegree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 22:34
Glad you all had a great time! We'd love to come back. :)
www.3RDegreeONLINE.com www.facebook.com/3RDegree "Defiling Perfectly Good Songs With Prog Since 1990"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 05:56
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Just listened to the most recent studio album and while it certainly is better than the live performance with less noodling and benefiting from the added instrumentation it's still not anything that excites me enough to want repeat listens.

Clap

That makes sense. I saw you as having good enough tastes as it was Ian... if you liked everything under the sun I'd have revise my opinion of you to freak status.  If you had liked this I was going to start trying to turning you on to Willie Nelson LOL

after nearly 10 years.. I've nearly got Raff..

to the point she stands him. And I have caught her singing along and shaking her ass on occasion...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 09:35
Crowd shot from end of Bent Knee set, I'm in the Union Jack shirt on the right

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - September 09 2016 at 09:38
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 11:50
Nice review.
Ian

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 07:21
In case someone is interested, here's my review of the event: https://progmistress.com/2016/09/07/live-review-progday-2016-like-a-hurricane/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 20:02
Just listened to the most recent studio album and while it certainly is better than the live performance with less noodling and benefiting from the added instrumentation it's still not anything that excites me enough to want repeat listens.
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 12:04
and one last tidbit.. I gambled on his studio albums... and scored.  Lew Fischer was the driving force behind getting them to Progday and told me I needed to hear the albums. Especially since I loved their live show.

They are indeed fabulous. You perhaps might have found them much to your tastes than the stripped down live show we saw. There was a lot more going on musically on those albums. Which is what you hope for when stripped of the visceral side of seeing a band live. That is why I gambled on his studio albums and passed on others that were obviously purely 'live' bands.

Edited by micky - September 06 2016 at 12:05
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 11:53
HeartThumbs Up

and I did count you as those voices that I have respect for considering Bent-Knee.  Perhaps as we talked about at breakfast.. this group just needs more time to click. Sometimes we need more time for stuff to connect. It isn't a question of quality with them and with me.. it is about feeling the music. I give a lot of people a lot of sh*t for some of their perferences but it always has been with a wick and a nod... I know as well as anyone that it is not a matter of quality that rules what we love in music.. it is all about how we connect and relate to what we are listening to.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 11:47
Cool, interesting perspective, and as I thought we are coming at this from very different viewpoints Thumbs UpHugHandshakeBeer
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 11:32
apples and oranges compositionally.. no doubt. The point is... noddling or not... I found it interesting from a completely visceral point of view. Much as I did, and other do Alec Redfearn, we connected the dots between the two. If he had used a guitar instead of an accordian.. I likely wouldn't have cared what his influences were... it wouldn't have connected as hard as it did.  If Scales had been up there jamming with a guitar.. I wouldn't have liked it half as much.

the reason I made the connection between the two Ian.. and others did in conjunction with him seeing me wearing his shirt yesterday was purely from a visceral level. This is music you know.. the reason why Raff and I are different in our tastes in spots and much more in how we see music.. even where we are so much alike otherwise.

I don't attempt or care to analyze music... I just feel music. Scales hit me where it counts... as did Redfearn. That is where we might see this differently and why some like me make that connection between the two, and also distinquish what we heard Saturday from your basic dude with a guitar along with a bassist and drummer just jamming away. I have heard that a 1000 times.. and 999 times too many.

What I heard Saturday I hadn't... and thankfully since these were top notch.. grade A+ musos...they connected with me and I loved it.

Edited by micky - September 06 2016 at 11:34
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 11:20
I found their originality to be purely in the instrumentation, once you got past that it was fairly standard live jazz fusion with an excess of individual soloing, I didn't find it that interesting once I got past the steel drums. Alec Redfearn is different in a whole other way beyond the instrumentation, he's performing thoroughly composed folk based tunes with an avant twist and lost of psyche elements, wonderful stuff but apples and oranges to compare that originality to Scales.
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 09:45
I did LOL I heard something with them I had not heard before, and done by A+ musicians and as Raff will tell you, and I've made quite clear here. I DETEST noddley fusion.  It was interesting, and different much in the same way I took to Alec K. Redfearn and the Eyesores.  I wasn't the only one to see that.. I had a few comments about the shirt.. and Scales. That something unique and different that some of us look for in our music.

on the flip side.. I simply didn't hear anything that 'grabbed' me musically from Bent Knee. Personally I found MoeTar, a similarly leaning avant prog pop leaning band to be far more interesting musically and Moreas vocal style (and her obvious influences) to be much more to my tastes.  Perhaps with teh next album they'll connect. It just hasn't done it yet.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 09:34
Sorry Micky, but if you find the fusion noodly solo-ing of steel drums, bass & drums more musically interesting than the thoroughly composed avant wonky pop with turn on a dime changes of direction of BK then we are seriously coming at this from radically different directions.
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>