Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWarchild in the Gallery, Too Young to Die

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warchild in the Gallery, Too Young to Die
    Posted: September 12 2017 at 03:39
Originally posted by hegelec hegelec wrote:

I'll add something to the "overview" assessment of Tull that's been absent from the discussion so far: the early albums were better because Tull were still a legit band, composed of musos from the scene, who were led by Ian Anderson. Rather than the Ian Anderson orchestra ft. schoolboy chums and session players that Ian could boss around. Like, in a weird way, Tull's fate was sealed the day Mick Abrahams left, because the entire rest of the history of the band can be read along the narrative of Ian consolidating his power.

It's no big surprise TAAB was the smashing success PP was not, because it was the last album Ian solicited significant assistance from his bandmates to stitch together the kernels of his song ideas into a coherent whole. The band dynamic is strong, with lots of fluid playing and spontaneity especially in the interlinking instrumental passages. John Evan in particular doesn't get his due in Tull-land: the interviews with the band (other than Ian) make clear that Evan was a driving force during much of the TAAB sessions.

From PP onward, you get the sense that Ian is increasingly dictating the arrangement rather than deferring to the talents of his colleagues. And Tull's descent into mediocrity correlates directly with a band whose playing becomes progressively more mannered, eventually predictable, and individually less distinctive.

That's a side of Tull's story I hadn't thought about.Clap

It could be that indeed Ian realized that once he got big with the London-based Tull, and Abe left, than Cornick left two albums later, he maybe then saw the opportunity to get the Blackpool school buddies on the act. I doubt he would've thought about in the Benefit/Aqualung time lapse release, coz Barre is not a Blackpool buddy... Not sure Ian would've tried to get Bunker to leave Tull by "getting onto his case" either, just so he could get Barlow in, though.

Not that he was any easier to work with for his old buddies than he was with the three originals.

Edited by Sean Trane - September 12 2017 at 03:40
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 11:00
Neat! Yeah isn't it funny how tapes go missing like that? The whole Aqualung saga is almost humorous in its level of tragedy. It really seems none (save perhaps for Rob Fripp) were making music back then with any sense of legacy/posterity.
Cheers!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 18:41
Originally posted by hegelec hegelec wrote:

I'm surprised the title track from Too Old didn't make the cut. The "orchestral" opening motifs are a great trick Tull would use again on "Heavy Horses". And the female backups in the later verses are superb ... "tears in his eyeeeeees" etc.

I never liked the Jerry Lee Lewis breakdown at the end, though. Because it's slimy and manipulative and totally insincere. It's mercifully only a few seconds long tho.

Title track sounds better on the remix. You can really notice a big difference between the tracks that had their original tapes found and the ones that weren't. The drums and cymbals sound so much clearer. Who knows, Ian might come across the remaining tapes plus some more rare tracks
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 17:08
I'm surprised the title track from Too Old didn't make the cut. The "orchestral" opening motifs are a great trick Tull would use again on "Heavy Horses". And the female backups in the later verses are superb ... "tears in his eyeeeeees" etc.

I never liked the Jerry Lee Lewis breakdown at the end, though. Because it's slimy and manipulative and totally insincere. It's mercifully only a few seconds long tho.
Cheers!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 16:59
Warchild

Warchild-always liked this one. Best song on original album imo
March the mad scientist-love it
Good godmother-Tulls best song from 74 imo
Quartet-nice proggy filler. Can remove though
Queen and country-my other fave from original
Skating away-bit overrated but a good one
Saturation-gives the album some grunt
Glory row-one of my fave Tull tracks from 74
Paradise steakhouse-interesting. Has APP vocals too
Solitaire-nice filler
Rainbow blues-fun ending

Too old

Strip cartoon-maybe my fave Tull track from 76
From a deadbeat-sax solo is awesome
Salamanders ragtime-fun track. Loving it now
Pied piper-has a SFTW feel
Commercial traveller-up there with strip cartoon. Cool track
Salamander-good acoustic
Big Dipper-decent track
Small cigar(orchestral)-love this version
Quiz kid-decent track
Chequered flag-strong ending

Hopefully there are more Too old tracks to be found to replace dipper and quiz. Was a hard choice between quiz, dipper and crazed for last 2 spots

Edited by dr prog - September 10 2017 at 17:04
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 16:47
I'll mention that it was my friend who lobbied hard for Crazed Institution in there. It's the only selection we made that I'm on the fence about, given that it's basically the same song as Skating Away (and Life is a Long Song, and One Brown Mouse, and ... and).

In retrospect, I would probably have chosen Paradise Steakhouse or Small Cigar to finish off the imaginary Side A. But I'm still happy with the sequence as it stands.

Edited by hegelec - September 10 2017 at 16:49
Cheers!
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 16:43
I could have done more to mine the unreleased tracks and b sides, some of which you've mentioned are legitimately great. But I restricted my attention to the albums as released, partly on principle, and partly of convenience, given that they're what my buddy and I had our hands on at the time.
Cheers!
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 16:35
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

A rejigged warchild and too old is similar quality to songs from the wood

You're not wrong. Emphasis on the rejigging, though.

There's a legitimately great album lurking in tracklists of this dark patch. I tried my best to pan for the gold in my original post above and sequence what I would have considered to be a 5 star followup to TAAB.
Cheers!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 16:03
A rejigged warchild and too old is similar quality to songs from the wood
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 17:25
Also, the transition from triple to common meter at 1:10-1:30 here is one of the most graceful linking passages I have ever heard ever on any album by anyone. There's just *nothing* as fluid and inspired on Minstrel. It's sheer genius.

https://mixcloud.com/christianhegele/taab-single-edit/

Edited by hegelec - September 08 2017 at 17:28
Cheers!
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 17:01
Gun to your head: Hum the melody to  "Mother England Reverie" or "One White Duck". (from the top. not just the chorus.)

Now whistle "Wond'ring Aloud" or "Mother Goose".

I rest my case.

Edited by hegelec - September 08 2017 at 17:03
Cheers!
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 16:00
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

Minstrel in the gallery is their best album.

Seconded, just better than TAAB
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 14:21
If you pardon me a moment, I have to go back to doing squat thrusts hanging from a bar across the ceiling.
Cheers!
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 14:18
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

... then change pants, it's their best album.

you're right. now that I've changed into some linen hose and a cod piece, Minstrel sounds much better.

Cheers!
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 03:21
... then change pants, it's their best album.
lostrom
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 16:25
respectfully disagree. it's the best album in a dark patch (post-TAAB pre-SFTW) but half the album bores the pants off me. Cold Wind to Valhalla was rewritten as the superior Salamander on the next album, Black Satin Dancer is a particularly embarrassing entry in the continuing Ian Anderson-as-leering-creep series, the acoustic tracks show admirable restraint and good taste but lack much of the sparkle and memorability of Aqualung-era equivalents, and Baker Street is an respectable last-stab at an extended suite with some excellent moments -- but my interest always wanes about 2/3 of the way through.

So that essentially leaves the title track, which totally slays, and part of Baker Street Muse, and maybe Requiem, that I'd take to the vault.

Edited by hegelec - September 07 2017 at 16:39
Cheers!
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 00:23
Minstrel in the gallery is their best album.
lostrom
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 19:48
I'll add something to the "overview" assessment of Tull that's been absent from the discussion so far: the early albums were better because Tull were still a legit band, composed of musos from the scene, who were led by Ian Anderson. Rather than the Ian Anderson orchestra ft. schoolboy chums and session players that Ian could boss around.

Like, in a weird way, Tull's fate was sealed the day Mick Abrahams left, because the entire rest of the history of the band can be read along the narrative of Ian consolidating his power.

It's no big surprise TAAB was the smashing success PP was not, because it was the last album Ian solicited significant assistance from his bandmates to stitch together the kernels of his song ideas into a coherent whole. The band dynamic is strong, with lots of fluid playing and spontaneity especially in the interlinking instrumental passages. John Evan in particular doesn't get his due in Tull-land: the interviews with the band (other than Ian) make clear that Evan was a driving force during much of the TAAB sessions.

From PP onward, you get the sense that Ian is increasingly dictating the arrangement rather than deferring to the talents of his colleagues. And Tull's descent into mediocrity correlates directly with a band whose playing becomes progressively more mannered, eventually predictable, and individually less distinctive.

Edited by hegelec - September 06 2017 at 20:06
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 19:34
Bungle is a flawless Tull track. Apart from the truly gobsmackingly excellent TAAB, Tull were at their very best doing art pop singles. That's why Living in the Past may be my favourite Tull album of all.

Edited by hegelec - September 06 2017 at 19:36
Cheers!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2017 at 17:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah...  I agree wholeheartedly with that assessment.. and the great John Mcferrin

What makes you think he's great? Is it his ability to type with his head up his ass?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>