FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

saddest beautiful songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: saddest beautiful songs
    Posted: August 14 2023 at 11:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

MARILLION - the album Brave, and perhaps Afraid Of Sunlight.

Definitely The Great Escape, one of the most beautiful songs ever written….

See also Sugar Mice, and The Sky Above The Rain

I may sometimes be critical of Marillion, but they have made some stunning music….

Edited by essexboyinwales - August 14 2023 at 11:11
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 21:15
My favorite sad song............

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 10:53
VDGG - House With No Door
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 10:51
Maybe something off of Still Life?

Though maybe Hamill's vocals aren't everyone's definition of 'beautiful'LOL
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 09:47
Nightwish - Dead Boys Poem

Theres a sad story but told in a beautiful way
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 08:00
Message to Bears - You Are A Memory

Lesanderd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lesanderd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 05:23
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2023 at 14:36
Lou Reed : Sad song (The Lou Reed live version)
ELO : Can't get it out of my head
Peter Hammill : Wilhelmina
Genesis : Blood on he rooftops
BJH : The great 1974 mining disaster
Elbow : Weightless
Rush : Red Sector A
Genesis : Twilight Alehouse
Suzanne Vega : Luka
Neil Young : See the sky about to rain
Billie Holliday : Strange fruits
Ben Harper : Alone
The Verve : The drugs don't work
Kevin Coyne : house on the hill
Kevin Coyne : Talking to no one
Pater Gabriel : Biko
Peter Gabriel : Wallflower
Peter Gabriel : Family snapshot
Marillion : This Strange Engine
Peter Gabriel : Mercy Street
Camel : The Candle hour

Edited by mellotronwave - August 08 2023 at 14:50
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2023 at 13:42
"God if I saw her now", Anthony Phillips, from The Geese and the Ghost.
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 09:06
Arena - Mea Culpa 

"I hear you call to me, but there's nothing I can do."

If that doesn't tug at your heartstrings, I don't know what does.

HenriJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenriJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 06:23
"Fare thee well, fare thee well you that was once dear to me...". Gentle Giant's Think of Me With Kindness always puts a lump in my throat.

Peter Hammill of course has a plethora of these songs, but the one that first comes to my mind is Empire of Delight.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 21:50
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Kansas - Dust In The Wind
Genesis - Blood On The Rooftops
ELP -Lucky Man
Kate Bush - The Man With The Child In His Eyes
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Oh yes, Dust in the wind, but I guess more than a sad song, it is rather utterly depressing.

if you think of it more in spiritual terms then it's not so bad , to me anyway

I don't know which spiritual set of mind could help. In the end, it just says we are nothing, anything we do will in the end be nothing. How can we put that in a spiritual redeeming perspective?

To me that is entirely the point. Livgren was searching for a meaning or purpose to life. A lot of Kansas songs are about this seeking something. I find this honest and refreshing and indeed spiritual rather than depressing. I've never taken it that way. 

Well, then, this song is telling us he didn't find anything with his searching. I guess the only hopeful message is that we shouldn't for attachments, since in the end everything will be lost, and by not forming such attachments one can live in better tranquility. I mean, if I want to find a positive element on the message of the song.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 16:08

Kansas - Dust In The Wind
Genesis - Blood On The Rooftops
ELP -Lucky Man
Kate Bush - The Man With The Child In His Eyes
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Oh yes, Dust in the wind, but I guess more than a sad song, it is rather utterly depressing.

if you think of it more in spiritual terms then it's not so bad , to me anyway

I don't know which spiritual set of mind could help. In the end, it just says we are nothing, anything we do will in the end be nothing. How can we put that in a spiritual redeeming perspective?

To me that is entirely the point. Livgren was searching for a meaning or purpose to life. A lot of Kansas songs are about this seeking something. I find this honest and refreshing and indeed spiritual rather than depressing. I've never taken it that way. 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 14:16
PETER HAMMILL - Easy to slip away, In The End
Lydianlover View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 12:51
Here are more

Jonas Lindberg - on the horizon

Shadow gallery - hope for us, Alaska
Lydianlover View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 12:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtbuUwUksRI

I love this song as well. 

Very sad song especially the lydian part. Feels like a song about somewhat offing themselves unable to continue with existence.  Listen to 1:56 - 2:32

Also, Arena - Elea, pins and needles, friday's dream.

Also post more concept like albums similar to the arena songs I mentioned. I want more music like them. You really limited goosebumps driven music is.

ForeverFloyd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForeverFloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 09:09
Alice in Chains often produce sad and beautiful songs, best of them;

Nutshell

Another one that I feel should be listed:
Seventh Wonder - Tears for a father 
gerunding View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerunding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 02:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hbqxnhzU8

The diluted half music video version of this song ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxVNOnPyvIU ) is a contentious version that skirts the line between neo-soul resurgence and objectification. Completely, and in the context of the album, the false start from ?uestlove, the song is given credence, in and of itself. Strong in its first strum-plinks, coming in at 6/4, this is D'Angelo's (Michael Archer) masterpiece. The audio feel like an interpolation of the music video, and the stress of the tinny guitar (at first, anyway), serves as a perfect backdrop for the way the song progresses. The interesting thing about D'Angelo's lyrics are how they feel perfectly crafted as an homage to a bygone era, essentially becoming a post-modernist sound collage (think NEGATIVELAND's "U2") of what is essentially, "I'm here for love-making". Furthermore, on the direction of the music video, producer ?uestlove questioned Archer, asking if he was receiving oral stimulation in the music video. The music video rose in a meteoric fashion, eclipsing the musical talent of Archer, which lead to a subsequently tumultuous tour. In an attempt to please his fans, Archer would take every moment possible to maintain his physique, to the point of starvation and physical exhaustion. On top of that, Archer felt his music meant nothing to his fans, as he was essentially that "hot dude from that sexy video," becoming even more disenchanted with his musical pedigree. Eventually, he overcame his insecurities, fighting them with the comments that he'd rather just be fat, over anything. Archer's story served for a long time as a precaution to being objectified in many ways, even staring in his own Eddie Murphy-type sex sting. In spite of that, as well as sloppily mixing the political and sexual in his latest album, "Black Messiah," D'Angelo has persisted, lending his southern Virginia ways to the likes of Red Dead Redemption 2.

Edited by gerunding - April 01 2019 at 02:16
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2019 at 22:24
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Not prog, but Brian Johnson's band previous to ACDC, Geordie, had a beautifull, sad song named "Oh Lord". They also had a song named "Natural Born Loser" which is more of a rocker, but the lyrics are quite sad and depressing.

If we are mentioning non prog beautiful sad songs... well, there's a song from The Rolling Stones that seems to be mostly ignored but that I do love and that just came to my mind. Memory Motel, one of my favourites from what little I know from the band, rather long for the band's standards (at just over 7 min), and very melancholic sounding (sorry if this has just about nothing to do with the songs you mentioned either).
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2019 at 20:31
prog related, Tom Rapp's Snow Queen.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f06N9gZRkY

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>