FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 underrated prog bassists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 underrated prog bassists
    Posted: July 25 2023 at 11:30
1. Neil Pepper (Galahad)
2. Tom Hyatt (Echolyn)
3. Jonas Reingold (The Flower Kings)
4. Pete Trewavas (Marillion)
5. John Jowitt (IQ)
novox14 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote novox14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 01:15
Ray Bennett - Flash
Gustavo Montesano - Crucis
Andre Bernardi - Eskaton
Doug Nethercote - Windchase
Marco Meduri - Jet Lag
Michel Dion - Toubabou
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2019 at 23:24
Mike Rutherford. Get 'Em Out By Friday looses half the excitement without that monster baseline.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 15:07
Forgot to mention Steve Rodby from Pat Metheny Group.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 00:29
I always thought Douglas Campbell "Dougie" Thomson of Supertramp was very underrated....Supertramp as a band doesn't seem to get many props on PA.  They did some fine music, and Dougie was a major part of it.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Nephew Meat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nephew Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 19:05
Tom Fowler - Frank Zappa

Mario Mutis - Los Jaivas
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 13:10
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Colin Henry of Porcupine Tree does also seem to lack some prise, hes playing is cool and hes tone is solid as concrete.

Yes...I have always liked his work with PT.
Good call....
I also  will say John Jowitt..who is not longer with IQ.

Now there's a bassist who does deserve more recognition. I saw Arena live in '98 and John tore it up. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 13:09
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I'm not a fan of the term "underrated" and top something lists (because for me the order and contents change every day) of any kind but to me Jσzef Skrzek's bass playing deserves more recognition. He's mostly associated with keys but that guy was also a ripping bass player.

I concur.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 10:08
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Colin Henry of Porcupine Tree does also seem to lack some prise, hes playing is cool and hes tone is solid as concrete.

Yes...I have always liked his work with PT.
Good call....
I also  will say John Jowitt..who is not longer with IQ.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
santirodriguez View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote santirodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:50
I think that there are a lot of underrated bassist but my top four is:

Ray Shulman - Gentle Giant
Gustavo Montesano - Crucis
Jose Luis Fernandez - La maquina de hacer pαjaros
Pedro Aznar - Seru Giran

I deeply recommend those bands if you haven΄t heard of them
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 05:34
I'm not a fan of the term "underrated" and top something lists (because for me the order and contents change every day) of any kind but to me Jσzef Skrzek's bass playing deserves more recognition. He's mostly associated with keys but that guy was also a ripping bass player.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 14:53
Anyone mention Mick Karn yet? 

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 10:02
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 08:13
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I love Moshkito's suggestion of David Darling.

I don't know what it is ... and I got a couple of his solo albums, and they are also rather nice and tasteful, and I have yet to find something of his that is "conventional" that does not stand up above everyone else.

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Nicky Beggs is astonishing; I love when a bass can lead or establish and hold the melody. 

He is excellent, and is probably the main reason why the Steven Wilson tour went so well ... I doubt that any other conventional bass player would have added to much to Steven's ideas, who has become well known for his megalomania ... and thinking that he is the musician and everyone else plays for him!

It's amazing that he has learned the Stick and its use so well, and added a touch to SW's work that was not there before, not that Colin did not have that touch ... he had a very different touch for PT ... but it was not exactly a "new touch" as much as it was a well defined moment to make the song or piece of music even better.

In the special on the tube, Nick explains to SW ... let me do this, and if you don't like it we can go back to the other way ... and based on what we heard in concert and on the album, it was obvious that Nick could color SW's music even more ... and some credit should be given to SW at that moment for realizing how good someone can be ... you gotta let them add to what you have, sometimes ... and helps define your work even better ... because you know that person "is there!".
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 08:05
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

I like Hugh Hopper.

He's also in the Richard Sinclair album (Caravan of Dreams) and it makes it spectacular … shame that few folks here will ever listen to it, because they have to have their "prog" fix first!
What does that mean?

Chopper ... I forgot the emoticons ... it was a joke that all that stuff couldn't possibly be "progressive".

The album is far out ... and really neat, and if you are doing a radio type show, there are many songs that can be played ... really nice album!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 13:31
Percy, always Percy.

Among those who crashed and burned in their youth I am always blown away when I hear the contributions of Doug Rauch (Santana et al.)

Danny Thompson and Victoria are in a league all their own.

I love Moshkito's suggestion of David Darling.

Nicky Beggs is astonishing; I love when a bass can lead or establish and hold the melody. 

Of the modern prog bassists I have to admit to being quite fond of the work Antoine Fafard has been doing.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 09:25
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

I forgot Danny Thompson. Love his playing on standup bass.

I don't really think he can be classified as "underrated".
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 09:09
I forgot Danny Thompson. Love his playing on standup bass.

PROGMATIC
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 09:04
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

I like Hugh Hopper.

He's also in the Richard Sinclair album (Caravan of Dreams) and it makes it spectacular … shame that few folks here will ever listen to it, because they have to have their "prog" fix first!
What does that mean?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 07:10
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

You are undoubtedly, far and away one of the single-most pretentious, haughty, arrogant posters on this forum community on a consistent basis.
…

AND, of course, it takes one to know one, right?

My notes and ideas have come, largely from theater, film and the spoken arts. Almost all musicians, only met one that didn't fit the idea, are 100% afraid of experimentation, and specially exercises that can lead to experimentation that would help create something new … and this was, for a long time, the thrust of the ECM label, that got so many folks comfortable with each other … you lock them up in a white room and leave them alone … maybe with some coffee … rotgut for you probably!

Nowadays, a description of an exercise that works wonders with actors … is not, SUPPOSEDLY, any good for a musician … easy to see why … you (likely) can not play beyond the notes and chords that you are familiar with … and … what chord is that in that the guitarist is doing, kind of thing, when so much of the music in the 60's, including jazz was almost about being opposite that as far as possible … but today, we're all supposed to be conformists, just the way you wrote them!

I'm probably the quietest and humblest person you ever could meet for a cup of tea … but I know what I SEE, and I know what I have experienced in my life with actors, on stage and with some musicians, and I study the history of a lot of music … not just your notes and chords … there are vastly different schools out there that do not follow the "notes and chords" concept that easy … witness the Berlin School that gave rise to so much of the synthesizer folks and music … you probably have no idea how many folks said it wasn't music, up to a reviewer calling TD "washing machine music" … and if you are so stuck up as to not even know the difference between a washing machine and music (well --- it does have music that can be used in krautrock, you know?) … then you are an idiot and are allowing another idiot to rant stupidly.

I'm merely defending the "experimentalists", because too many musicians dismiss them and think they are stupid because it all has to have notes and chords! You don't like that, because you have no "control", and would have a hard time defining what to play next! You want it easy as pie … challenging you is not possible … you have gotten lazy in your older days!

You're attempting to argue a position of authority on bass playing based on the number of "records you've listened to", as if that's any objective standard measure of anything outside of your opinion.
…

"Listening" to thousands of records isn't the same thing as playing a bass on stage in front of people night after night after night after night, nor being in a recording situation, and adapting to what the big picture needs as a whole. 
…

I never claimed to be an expert on anything … and your comment is a perfect example, of how you don't like folks to challenge your status quo!

My experience, is not limited to having listens … but almost all your professors learned music the same way … but they know "more" than you do, of course!

My experience is related to something that you could not understand … and think that your stage experience is all there is to life … stage experience is the same, be it film, theater or music … the discipline is needed to help make it better … the real issue is that rock and jazz music, do not .. make use of a "director" to help formulate the music, and musicians are in love with the easy stuff they can get stuck on. Have you heard the last 10 pieces of music to find the same drum beat and style? That's listening to you, not just counting!

My status quo is "OPEN" and has been from day one, otherwise things like this and that and THIRD EAR BAND and other odd balls, would never make it to my ears … just an odd example, since no one listens to it, anyway!

My favorite moment in "listening", believe it or not, was in 1972 when my roommate played me something that made me sick, and I had to go to the bathroom … and when I came back, he said … sit down … let's try this again … and it was fine. Since that day, there has never been a single piece of music that has undone me … or surprised me … and I had a very large collection of all the old electronic stuff that came from movies, all the way back to FORBIDDEN PLANET. That piece of music was TD's Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares!

...And God forbid people like riffs! We can't have that! Prog rock only borrows some of it sound from rock and roll which GASP is riff based! Those heathens! Knowing what they like (in your wardrobe, of all places)! How dare they?!
…

You are sooooooo  out of line … you have no idea … it has nothing to do with the "riff" and what it sounds like … has to do with folks thinking that one riff makes a song … and nothing else … the next time you mis-represent your comments, kindly take them to the cleaners first … you are not reading a single word of what I have written … that's OK … I'm a writer anyway … you have no idea what that means, I don't think!

And how much music people know and study. One riff does not define Mozart or Beethoven … so now, in the 21st century all music has to have a riff so we know that Stravinsky was wrong in not having any riffs in his music!

I think your "logic" needs some studying!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>