Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the most underrated studio Yes album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which do you feel is the most underrated studio Yes album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [7.89%]
9 [11.84%]
15 [19.74%]
10 [13.16%]
7 [9.21%]
4 [5.26%]
5 [6.58%]
1 [1.32%]
3 [3.95%]
2 [2.63%]
2 [2.63%]
3 [3.95%]
5 [6.58%]
1 [1.32%]
3 [3.95%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the most underrated studio Yes album?
    Posted: April 14 2020 at 09:09
TALES 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 06:40
I'd say The Ladder. Judging by its actual quality and what stuff scores on this site, it should have ~3.50 average rating instead of 3.26 it has now. I think it's better than Fly from Here which is at 3.41 now.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 15:03
I've chosen "Tales From Topographic Oceans" because I love the extended side-long tracks on the album and I've heard the album is underrated by Rick Wakeman. Smile
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2019 at 05:07
Union only gets hated because of the politics associated with it. Very good album.

Tormato gets knocked as it suffers from solo album syndrome. It gets pulled in different ways; has no clear direction as one might expect from a Yes band all pulling together a a team...

Tales to me is way underrated at least lyrically. Too much to take and you have to read the words, even think about them, and worse, understand them. Oh gawd...

Big Generator is maligned for the exact opposite reason of Tales  - easily digestible understandable music. With strong tunes. We want this inaccessibility not something readily available. Got to laugh really.

Anyway the mainstream underrate Relayer; prog fans Tales and Big Generator. Equally.
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 04:59
Originally posted by Libor10 Libor10 wrote:

Madrigal is great song, only its end always seemed to me somehow "hurried", like they were in studio and didn't know what to do with it (or like they'd ran out of time) - I've always thought there's something missing there... :-) Otherwise it's really one of the best pieces on Tormato.

I find that's true of a lot of Tormato - Don't Kill the Whale is a solid track but the ending always has let it down a bit imo
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 01:14
It's between Talk, Drama and 90125, all of which are very good albums IMO.

I'll go with 90125 a it's my personal fave. I actually think it's one of their best albums, and in fact these days I'd also include Drama in the top 5 Yes albums.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2019 at 18:26
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I love Madrigal

Good to hear from you.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2019 at 17:43
Madrigal is great song, only its end always seemed to me somehow "hurried", like they were in studio and didn't know what to do with it (or like they'd ran out of time) - I've always thought there's something missing there... :-) Otherwise it's really one of the best pieces on Tormato.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 23:47
Madrigal is one of the best songs on that album; I love the classically inspired arrangement on that one. My biggest issue with the album has always been the cheesy late-70s tones... and with the predominance of acoustic instruments on Madrigal, it doesn't sound nearly as dated as the rest of the album.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 14:40
I love Madrigal
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 12:58
I am genuinely surprised that Tormato has got so many votes but as I said on another thread I do love Alan White's drumming on that album (seriously how hard does he hit the snare on Arriving UFO?). I suppose if you remove Madrigal and Circus Of Heaven then it could almost be a 4 star album.
TFTO - no surprise its winning but still only getting 17.5% of the total vote. This is an album that fits the 'prog profile' perfectly . 4 long tracks allowing one of the greatest bands ever to indulge its every wish. Yet its nearly being beaten by an album with a bunch of half arsed prog tracks by a line up that was fast disintegrating. Yep we shouldn't take these polls too seriously!
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 11:19
Voted 90125

as for Tales....    I'll stand with Rick Wakeman....   don't like it very much
Prog On!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 10:36
From this list I would say Drama, But my pick would be Going for the One.  I'm not sure it always gets the praise it deserved. One of their best IMO. 
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 10:17
Well, this one is tough. I always considered TFTO the most Yes underrated album, maybe together with Drama (sometimes I used to think it's the most hated album due to Anderson's missing). As the years went I've found both of these records above have their devoted fans (I myself absolutely adore TFTO and love Drama too). So in the end I think it's poor little Tormato which should get my vote. Because it's realy fine album with sooo many cirtics from Yes circles...

I agree with Frenetic Zetetic we have here two periods of Yes music. Only for me the first period ends with Drama in 1980 and then the second one starts after that. 90125 is good album, more pop oriented, but its quality is undeniable. And it is not underrated, because it brought many new fans to Yes camp (who love this record still). Only the change in Yes music is much more visible/audible here than on previous Drama. After that I slowly started to loose interest in their music, so I couldn't count their works after 90125 as "underrated" (because of their music were rather ok, but nothing special IMO... sometimes better, sometimes worse, never sub-par, but never exciting at the same time).

TORMATO gets my vote.

Edited by Libor10 - August 26 2019 at 10:21
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 08:56
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

It's obviously Tales for me. My favorite record of all time and it can't even crack the PA Top 100.

Not even the top 250. It's one of those divisive albums, along with the likes of Captain Beefhearts Troutmask Replica, Tangerine Dream's Zeit, and Can's Tago Mago. Of course Yes is a giant in Progdom. At RYM, searching for Progressive Rock specifically, it's listed at number 68 for 1973. For all genres, it's at #263 for 1973, and is at #9,589 overall. At PA, it's listed at number 35 for 1973 specifically.

One might say that most albums are underrated by some and overrated by others (in terms of specific objective merits/ valuations) in some respect.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 08:31
It's obviously Tales for me. My favorite record of all time and it can't even crack the PA Top 100.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 05:50
Big Generator!   I love it!   
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 05:29
Drama.
Chris Squire unchained!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 15:24
Time and a Word
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 14:43
Tales... mo doubt.

Although ABWF and Fly From Here rarely get their due.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>