FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are your top 10 Jethro Tull songs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are your top 10 Jethro Tull songs?
    Posted: January 28 2022 at 11:27
One brown mouse (live Bursting out)
Ring out solstice bells (Songs from the wood)
Minstrel in the gallery (same)
Skating away on the thin ice of the new day (war child)
Thick as a brick (same)
Aqualung (same)
Roots to branches (same)
Hunting girl (Songs from the wood)
Heavy horses (same)
Baker St Muse (Minstrel in the gallery)
No special ranking , could add without any problem a second list of 10 :-)

Edited by mellotronwave - February 01 2022 at 11:54
jess.fin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jess.fin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 06:06
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

"Living in the Past"
"With You There to Help Me"
"To Cry You a Song"
"Teacher"
"Aqualung"
"Cross-Eyed Mary"
"Locomotive Breath"
Thick as a Brick (Pt. 1)
"Living in the Past"

The same for me. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2022 at 14:35
There’s over 10 fine songs from 79 alone

North Sea oil
Dun ringill
Somethings on the move
Old ghosts
Warm sporran
Orion long version
Stitch in time
Kelpie
Lyricon blues
Urban apocalypse
Dark ages early version
Broadford bazaar

Remixes are great
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
DayDawnsDark View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayDawnsDark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2022 at 02:59
If I had to narrow that 30 down to 1, I would say:
Baker St. Muse (plus TAAB obvs)
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2022 at 18:17
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I will refrain from choosing Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play, and go with just single compositions that don't cover whole albums.

First 10
Nothing Is Easy
Reasons for Waiting
Up to Me
Sweet Dream
Skating Away
Baker St. Muse (Medley)
Salamander
The Whistler
Acres Wild
Dun Ringill

Second 10
Serenade to a Cuckoo
Fat Man
Witch's Promise
Locomotive Breath
Sealion
Minstrel in the Gallery
Rainbow Blues
Taxi Grab
Pibroch
One Brown Mouse

Third 10 (because 20 ain't enough)
Hunting Girl
Velvet Green
Mother Goose
A Time for Everything
My God
Life's a Long Song
Only Solitaire
Bouree
Flying Dutchman
Aqualung

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Philchem8 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philchem8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2022 at 18:00
Great little summary and critical analysis from Sacro-porgo above on the different styles of Jethro Tull's LPs up to the end of the 70s. I sort of felt the same thing but had not articulated it very clearly in my mind. While Tull continued to have some very good albums until Stormwatch, I feel their really classic amd creative stuff is in their early albums, from Stand Up to Thick As a Brick although one could probably argue that about most of the classic prog bands (Pink Floyd and King Crimson may be exceptions here)
In any case my favorite Tull songs include:

Living in the Past
The Witch's Promise
A New Day Yesterday
Bouree
Aqualung
Cross Eyed Mary
Wond'ring Outloud
Locomotive Breath
Thick as a Brick
Cup of Wonder
Broadford Bazaar

Oops that's 11...But I like many others.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 04:02
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Stand Up has this strong and lingering jazziness from the first album (which is also quite good!)
Yes (to the rest of your post as well) I like This Was very much too. A blues-rock solid debut. But it's just a little less surprising to see it left out of a prog-fans run of favorites.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 02:37
Okay, so I'll do "no epics" and "one from each album". Not all are absolute favorites, but all are <3.

This Was A Song for Jeffrey
Stand Up For a Thousand Mothers
Benefit A Time for Everything
Aqualung My God
Thick as a Brick (-)
Living in the Past The Witch's Promise
A Passion Play Magus Perdé
War Child Sealion
Minstrel in the Gallery Black Satin Dancer
TOFRNRTYTD Quizz Kid
Songs from the Wood Velvet Green
Heavy Horses Rover
Stormwatch Orion
A Crossfire
The Broadsword and the Beast Fallen on Hard Times
Under Wraps European Legacy
Crest of a Knave Dogs in the Midwinter
Rock Island Ears of Tin
Catfish Rising Like a Tall Thin Girl
Roots to Branches At Last, Forever
J-Tull.com Far Alaska
Christmas Album Weathercock

TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 02:22
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The first 10 songs on Aqualung. Perfection.

I don't disagree but it makes it a bit dull for someone wanting to acquaint themselves with the music of Jethro Tull.

also not the best album for prog fans imo.

Their run of albums from TAAB to Stormwatch is one of the best ever. All great stuff to get your teeth into. Aqualung is a bit like DSOTM for me , an excellent song based album that leave me wanting more of something else.
Strange (imo), even for a "prog fan" to skip flawless albums such as Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung (my top three of theirs, I think) in favour of War Child, Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die! and Stormwatch in particular. To my ears those latter three albums all contain a few gems, but mostly unmemorable material. While the former three albums are packed with classic tunes that represents some of the the best music of the era. I don't mean to argue against your preferences (what would be the point of that). I just found it strange enough to comment on. We look for different things, I suppose.

I couldn't make a top ten. I don't think I ever could. So many great songs, and so many (for me) not yet fully digested non-album gems ca 1968-1978. I see songs on some of the lists here I'm not even familiar with.

I think I agree. Aqualung, Benefit, and Stand Up in particular may not be the proggiest little records ever to prog... but they're each fantastic and immersive in their own way. Stand Up has this strong and lingering jazziness from the first album (which is also quite good!), just beginning to meld itself to more classical or baroque sounds, and of course rock and blues are still the meat and potatoes of the band. Benefit is a whole different cat. The jazz has seeped too deep into the recipe to be recognizable any more, and the guitars have gotten chunkier, weightier, more uncompromising. If Jethro Tull had deserved the first metal grammy it would have been for this album. There's a dark and wispy cast to the album, from melodies to production, which makes it wholly unique, if a bit dense. And then there's Aqualung. Sudden clarity after the thick fog. The heaviness remains but is used more wisely, and more sparingly. Every instrument is at the band's beck and call, but with the implicit understanding that not everything should be used at once. All ideas are on the table, but not all of them must be used all the time. It's the beautiful balancing act and patient execution which make this album special. These elements would be gradually lost over the next two records in favor of a more maximalist approach to prog. That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially as they produced some of their best records with this approach. However, by the time Anderson sees fit to write more than one song per album again, that maximal philosophy has begun to border on overstimulating. The albums are still great overall, but the songs are a bit more muddled than they used to be, oversaturated with good ideas. I'm more likely to spin Benefit than War Child, or Stand Up than TOTRARTYTD. The discography has a great run from Stand Up through Storm Watch, but in some ways it's quite a different band that emerged out the other end of the 70s.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 02:02
The first 10 to spring to mind:
A New Day Yesterday
To Cry You a Song
Teacher
One Brown Mouse
Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day
Thick as a Brick part 1
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Moths
Locomotive Breath
Bouree
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 01:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The first 10 songs on Aqualung. Perfection.

I don't disagree but it makes it a bit dull for someone wanting to acquaint themselves with the music of Jethro Tull.

also not the best album for prog fans imo.

Their run of albums from TAAB to Stormwatch is one of the best ever. All great stuff to get your teeth into. Aqualung is a bit like DSOTM for me , an excellent song based album that leave me wanting more of something else.
Strange (imo), even for a "prog fan" to skip flawless albums such as Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung (my top three of theirs, I think) in favour of War Child, Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die! and Stormwatch in particular. To my ears those latter three albums all contain a few gems, but mostly unmemorable material. While the former three albums are packed with classic tunes that represents some of the the best music of the era. I don't mean to argue against your preferences (what would be the point of that). I just found it strange enough to comment on. We look for different things, I suppose.

I couldn't make a top ten. I don't think I ever could. So many great songs, and so many (for me) not yet fully digested non-album gems ca 1968-1978. I see songs on some of the lists here I'm not even familiar with.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 00:10
Hm... I don't know

1. Thick As A Brick

well it'll take a while to get through that one, may as well just leave it there actually, lol.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 22:35
1. Heavy Horses
2. Thick as a Brick (the whole thing) 

3-10 in alphabetical order:

Aqualung
Hunting Girl
Living in the Past
Minstrel in the Gallery
Moths
The Mouse Police Never Sleeps
Songs from the Wood
Weathercock

These were the what came to mind quickly. Might change some if I really sat down to think. 
JBH525 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBH525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 20:49
In no particular order

One Brown Mouse
Nothing To Say
Cross-Eyed Mary
Thick As A Brick
Velvet Green
Locomotive Breath
Songs From The Wood
Cup of Wonder
Minstrel In The Gallery
Up To Me
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 20:15
Thick as a Brick
Life is a Long Song
Wondering Aloud
Dun Ringill
To Cry You A Song 
Just Trying to Be
Thinking 'Round Corners
Roots and Branches
Rock Island
Look Into the Sun
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 19:25
Oh man, give me three days and lots of espresso.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ProgLin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgLin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 15:00
1. Aqualung
2. My God
3. Heavy Horses
4. A Passion Play Part 2
5. Locomotive Breath
6. Sealdriver
7. Flying Dutchman
8. Budapest
9. Hunting Girl
10. Flying Colors
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 10:24
1- Thick as a Brick (Part 1)
2- We Used to Know
3- Aqualung
4- Heavy Horses
5- Locomotive Breath
6- Thick as a Brick (Part 2)
7- The Rover
8- Bouree
9- Fire at Midnight
10- Up to Me 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 02:02
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Coruisk

Very cool, hadn't heard that one before.

Love it. I can’t stop playing Crossfire remix. It’s longer than before and sounds great. I never used to listen to it much at all
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 18:34
I know very little post 1980 so will limit to before that, in no particular order

With you there to help me
Nothing to say
Inside
Aqualung
Cross Eyed Mary
Thick
Third Hurrah
One White Duck/Nothing at all
Rover
Moths

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>