FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

There are no 1-star albums, are there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: There are no 1-star albums, are there?
    Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

there are plenty of 1 star albums... in fact.. I'd say there are more of them than people who really should be rating them.

some of my favorite albums and reviews.. were of 1 star albums..  get it.. 

1 star has not a damn thing to do with being....good or bad.

I gotta say: This barely makes sense!
It has nothing to do with being good or bad? Would you rate your favorite albums with 1 star? And if yes, why the hell would you do so?
Do you know the purpose of a rating system? Sorry, your comment is bullsh*t!
Ah, you gotta know micky in order for that to click.

Hmm, I really don't know him/her...
yeah, I believe he means that no matter how much he likes someone's work, if there's no progression from previous works, then it's lacking critically.

Gotcha. I was initially infuriated by the comment though. LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:01

there are plenty of 1 star albums... in fact.. I'd say there are more of them than people who really should be rating them.

It has nothing to do with being good or bad? Would you rate your favorite albums with 1 star? And if yes, why the hell would you do so?

yeah, I believe he means that no matter how much he likes someone's work, if there's no progression from previous works, then it's lacking critically.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 06:55

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 05:38

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 02:31

the very definition of rating abuse. LOL 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 02:08

Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 17:03
Reading all your posts, I would still maintain it's really hard to accurately rate something you don't like because immediately there is a bias.  You just lived through listening to it.

Also things can change.  When I first bought Caravan and the New Symphonia In 1974, I hated it and that's after having several Caravan's in my collection already.  I almost never played it, it just seems a bad sound recording.  I would have given it a 1 star then because I just did not like it compared to my other Caravan's.

A few years ago I rebought it on CD as a remastered version for completeness and I was blown away as that was not how I remembered it.  I can listen to it a lot now.

Either back in 74 it truly was the poor sound quality or my ears at that time just did not want not hear.  Hard for me to say for sure almost 50 years later.  But I would be foolish to rate it 1 star today.

Perhaps if someone has the 1974 version vinyl they can confirm if it was a bad sound recording or just me not wanting to get to like the album back then?

Edited by Spaciousmind - October 28 2020 at 17:08
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 17:03
1 star alums are rare, with the precondition that I refuse to count in styles I usually don't listen to, such as Tech/Extreme Prog Metal: I don't want to give an album that deserves four or five stars a 1-star rating because I am not familiar with the subgenre. So the only albums that pop up in my mind are Warchild and Roll the Bones, and Saga's live album In Transit.

Edited by someone_else - October 28 2020 at 17:04
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:42

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:42
Oh... there are 1-star albums.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:30
If you buy something, and that purchase makes you mad: You simply have the urge to express your pain. I'm not talking about albums and books and such stuff here, but things that are malfunctioning or lacking decent quality. You want to have the revenge and warn people not to buy that product.

If you listen to something, and that disappoints you: You generally ignore it. But if you listen to some awesome stuff, you want others to listen to that too. Some people do it out of their goodness, some want their "idolized/iconized" album to get more attention, which would indirectly satisfy their ego and reassure that they have good taste/understanding in music.

This is why "complaints" are more abundant than "compliments" in the marketing sphere, about the products' physical or functional aspects; while it is almost the contrary regarding the cultural productions that enrich and reflect people's "tastes" and/or apprehension.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:18
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Acting very strange is a good one! That is a horrible one star album! Makes me wonder what Mike was thinking! Even Mike and the Mechanics isn't as horrible. At least I don't think so.Tongue

Some of the songs weren't that bad and were even catchy but the problem was with Mike's singing which was absolutely wretched. His singing makes Tony Banks' singing sound like Phil Collins. Speaking of Tony Banks his fugitive album is one I thought was pretty bad when I first heard it but it sort of grew on me(warts and all). Some albums aren't really so much bad as they are just downright boring.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 28 2020 at 16:20
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:15
Since 2006 I've given few 1-stars. Usually is when artists that I like release a stinker. Keeping people away from those stinkers helps the artists, too.
Imagine a guy who approaches Camel for the first time and buys The Single Factor. He will surely miss a masterpiece like Moonmadness. Imagine that you have read something about a Greek keyboardist and his collaborations with Jon Anderson...then you listen to Suffocation from See You Later. Would you buy anything else from Vangelis?
1 star ratings may be useful.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 10:55
I'm working on one, ask Mosh. ;-)

Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 07:24
I sometimes try an album, find it absolutely not in my taste, but I don't give it a poor rating. It feels a bit unfair for me to rate albums with music styles that I don't like. The album may be very well received by fans of that particular genre, so I'd rather not rate it at all. That may give it a more accurate average rating than if I gave it 1 star.

Albums I would give 1-2 stars are those somewhat within my musical taste, but that is straight out bad or there's something about it that turns me off.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 06:48
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I would rate (and have rated) only albums from artists I know and like, genres I enjoy. 
I would never rate poorly an artist that is not my thing, that i would never listen to anyway. 
So if you auto-buy a new release of your favorite artist/band and it's a stinker you would not rate the album?

That I would do.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 06:47
^Well said. It should be a reviewers obligation to warn others about the quality of the release. No reviewer should only review what they like.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 06:34

I would rate (and have rated) only albums from artists I know and like, genres I enjoy. 
I would never rate poorly an artist that is not my thing, that i would never listen to anyway. 
So if you auto-buy a new release of your favorite artist/band and it's a stinker you would not rate the album?
And this is the heart of my feelings Mr. Grumps, but said much more succinctly by you. We all get a "stinker" from our heroes from time to time. Often more bad then good with some of them, but they still deserve the ink as we purchased these albums site unseen. Not as retribution for purchasing a bad album but as an obligation to others who will purchase them based on a whim. 

Edited by SteveG - October 27 2020 at 06:35
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 06:30

Yes, I would. I thought it's what I just meant.

DT - The Astonishing is a good example. 
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 06:26
I've only had ~30 reviews or so, but awarded a few 1 star ratings without stressing about it too much.

Generally, I'd rather read (and trust) a reviewer who is hesitant to give out 5 stars instead of 1's. These guys are usually very honest and thoughtful. The mere fact that I LIKE something isn't NEARLY enough to award the highest rating, in my book.

Also, 1 star ratings shouldn't be reserved only for bootleg/garage/"sonic experiment gone wrong" music. Perfectly produced & promoted also DESERVE 1 star time and time again - it boils down to being dull, unoriginal, cheap, dishonest etc. And there is plenty of that in Prog.

By the way, cross-genres comparisons (i.e. symphonic is 4-5 stars always, rap is 1 full stop) is a bit silly.

TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>