Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Going Solo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Going Solo
    Posted: May 30 2024 at 07:28
^ Maybe when I wrote that intro I had in mind "Mind, Body & Sole" - a local shoe repair shop. Tongue
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 06:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Roger Waters - Give Birth to a Smile Smile, from the soundtrack album, Music from the Mind & Body (1970), featuring Ron Geesin & the other three members of Pink Floyd on this final song from the album.
Hi,

Disgraceful ... that you would ignore the best song in there ... "Our Song" ... making all the others sound silly and shmoozy!

Wink
Embarrassed
Geek

It was "Music from the Body" the mind was somewhere else, probably. It's a soundtrack of a documentary entitled "The Body" that I was lucky enough to see on TV a life ago. I have a vinyl copy.
"Our Song" has nice instruments, but Geesin's piano is better than the others 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 06:21
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

'Amused to Death' is head and shoulders above anything else in his solo canon, I reckon.

I totally agree, along with Rick Wright's 'Broken China' one of the finest two Floydian solo albums.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 06:04
5 stars 1990: Roger Waters - The Wall: Live in Berlin - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyGHs2yXwu1Sg4DXha46hfqGs6LarGe8w

Is There Anybody Out There? No, there's Nobody Home. Well, apart from the massive crowd of 350,000 people, making The Wall: Live in Berlin one of the largest concerts in rock music history at the time. Cool

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 01:05

5 stars<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> 2022: Roger Waters - The Lockdown Sessions - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kHSppQrHjZrehfvgTQBS9nwG9b-dCKqZE</span>

An absolutely perfect rendition of "Mother" which Roger then has to go and ruin by not stopping recording at the end of the song. Confused

I was not really fond of the lockdown sessions project. For me the perfect rendition of Mother is the one in his solo live album In The Flesh. Having a woman sing the mother's parts really helps the song.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 01:02
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

Roger Waters - Give Birth to a Smile Smile, from the soundtrack album, Music from the Mind & Body (1970), featuring Ron Geesin & the other three members of Pink Floyd on this final song from the album.

I've always considered this to be a 'lost' Pink Floyd song, and as such include it in my spreadsheet of every song/track the band recorded together.

You're right! Give Birth to a Smile would have been a perfect closing song for the Meddle album. Thumbs Up

I've always thought that 'Biding My Time' which was released on the collection 'Relics' earlier in 1971 would have been perfect for Meddle (fitting in with the overall romantic theme of the album), but due to the strictures of 2 sides of vinyl they would have had to have had to drop the jaunty cocktail hour number 'San Tropez' and the hilarious 'Seamus'. [on a CD that wouldn't be a problem]

Well, I wouldn't have cared if they dropped those songs. Though I'm not a fan of Biding my Time either... it sounds rather similar to San Tropez, or at least that was my impression. However, as with many of their early songs, I did like well enough the live version of the song from the Early Years Boxset.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 03:28
5 stars 2022: Roger Waters - The Lockdown Sessions - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kHSppQrHjZrehfvgTQBS9nwG9b-dCKqZE

An absolutely perfect rendition of "Mother" which Roger then has to go and ruin by not stopping recording at the end of the song. Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 30 2023 at 03:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2023 at 13:54
4 stars 2010: Roger Waters - The Wall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAtusYxDlaw

Not wishing to be typecast as a Jew-hating anti-Semite, Roger dresses in a black leather Gestapo-style trenchcoat with red and black Neo Nazi symbiology acting as a backdrop, which is strongly reminiscent of the Nuremberg rallies. Just another day in the life of Roger Waters. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 28 2023 at 15:15
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 11:45
ATD is Roger's finest solo album IMHO, with 'Radio KAOS' and 'When the Wind Blows' a close second.

The Wall Live ii Berlin is excellent too, tho probably best watched on the DVD version.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 10:50
4 stars 1992: Roger Waters - Amused to Death - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ka1U3tes8Atdy1A_8oxGbPw7qVyg2qhIQ

Roger gets all romantic, which makes a nice change from carrying the troubles of the world on his shoulders. Smile

I go there, sometimes twice a year now, sometimes only once
And sometimes when I feel like crying, I just go there...

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 26 2023 at 14:58
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 05:22
^^It's well worth seeking out if you've not heard it, and probably the most listenable track on the whole album.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 05:00
^^ a nice bit of knowledge and information here, fellas. I had no idea “give birth to a smile” existed.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 13:32

I've always considered this to be a 'lost' Pink Floyd song, and as such include it in my spreadsheet of every song/track the band recorded together.

You're right! Give Birth to a Smile would have been a perfect closing song for the Meddle album. Thumbs Up

I've always thought that 'Biding My Time' which was released on the collection 'Relics' earlier in 1971 would have been perfect for Meddle (fitting in with the overall romantic theme of the album), but due to the strictures of 2 sides of vinyl they would have had to have had to drop the jaunty cocktail hour number 'San Tropez' and the hilarious 'Seamus'. [on a CD that wouldn't be a problem]

Edited by Floydoid - December 26 2023 at 05:23
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 12:10

4 stars<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> 1992: Roger Waters - Amused to Death - </span>http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ka1U3tes8Atdy1A_8oxGbPw7qVyg2qhIQ

Perfect Sense - Parts 1 & 2 (1st version)

Perfect Sense - Parts 1 & 2 (2nd version)

So bloody good. Merry Christmas, Paul.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 11:58
5 stars 1990: Roger Waters - The Wall - Live in Berlin - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyGHs2yXwu1Sg4DXha46hfqGs6LarGe8w

Roger Waters and the Scorpions - In the Flesh  - where Roger dresses up as an ultra right-wing fascist dictator! Who says he's anti-Semitic? Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 11:44
Roger's Plaice - http://www.youtube.com/@rogerwaters

Another Brick in the Wall of Roger Waters' discography:- I've been fishing around on YouTube today collecting together all of Roger Waters' official singles and videos from every studio album, and so, without further ado,  here they are. Smile

Another Brick in the Wall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrxX9TBj2zY

3 stars 1983: Roger Waters - The Final Cut - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFEDE25F4A684239E

4 stars 1984: Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l4S4hqzoPYGSTOnbGutKs28BGGLoCNfHI

The Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWwJzpHdX1M

3 stars 2017: Roger Waters - Is This the Life We Really Want - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mPigivZV2DMiN4zZXBZyuFIWJeIZ4PfJY

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 25 2023 at 14:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 07:47
4 stars 1986: Roger Waters - When the Wind Blows (soundtrack) - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHcPTPk2B4oyVVKA-cNwccoKqQ6h7YGFZ

When David Bowie was unable to commit to recording the full soundtrack for When the Wind Blows - an animated film about an elderly couple who survive a nuclear holocaust, only to slowly die of radiation poisoning - who else was director Jimmy T. Murakami going to turn to other than the obvious choice of doom and gloom merchant Roger Waters. Tongue

David Bowie - When the Wind Blows

Roger Waters - Folded Flags

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 25 2023 at 07:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 05:23

Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 04:35

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 04:09
3 stars 1983: Roger Waters - The Final Cut - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFEDE25F4A684239E

The Final Cut - The complete uncut, full-length feature film in its entirety.... all 19 minutes of it. Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>