Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll: Sounds of Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Poll Question: Which three are your favourites?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [12.12%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [15.15%]
2 [6.06%]
2 [6.06%]
1 [3.03%]
2 [6.06%]
4 [12.12%]
2 [6.06%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [9.09%]
2 [6.06%]
4 [12.12%]
2 [6.06%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll: Sounds of Asia
    Posted: September 16 2021 at 14:22
Thank you for the Chieftains vote, Anders!  And yes, much thanks for the instrument information to Mirakase and Mila!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 14:13
Thanks to Mirakaze and Mila for explaining the instruments :)

These are my votes:
The Chieftains ft. Akiko Jano: Sake in the Jar IRL/JPN
Toshimaru Nakamura: Live @Japanorama
Monks of DipTseChokLing Monast: For Gya Ling&Dung Chen,Tibet

Honorabe mentions:
Jambinai: Onda/Prelude KOR
Isfar Sarabski & Band: Novruz AZE

Edited by The Anders - September 16 2021 at 14:14
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 01:18
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Very intimate atmosphere in the beginning with only the piano. The main chord progression after the intro reminds me a bit of ”Everything in the Right Place” by Radiohead. Before the 2:00 mark, a band sets in, including, double bass, drums, violins, cello, plus a string instrument that I am not familiar with. We get a few bars with the 7/8 time signature. Then the piano is alone again, and we move into a traditional jazz trio section with double bass and drums. The previously mentioned string instrument has a solo from just before 5:00. Looking at the frets, it appears it was built to contain microintervals of some sort (some frets are very close). I am aware that music from that area often contains microintervals, so it should come as no surprise. Then there’s a piano solo which gets kind of ”wild” towards the end. Very enjoyable performance, and it is another contender.

The name of that string instrument is 'tar'; it belongs to the family of long-necked, waisted lutes used by many cultures in and near the Caucasus and Central Asia. Here you have an overview of all traditional music instruments used in that region.

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 14:40
My picks are as follows:

3. Jambinai - Onda
I'm not a huge fan of most post-rock and I've never paid this band much attention for that reason, but the traditional Korean instrumentation certainly adds a whole new dimension and flavour to this style of music that I can certainly appreciate.

2. Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Osorezan
This group I'm familiar with because of their work on the Akira OST and their 1990 release Ecophony Gaia; this is a much less "listener-friendly" side of theirs that I wasn't aware of. I'll definitely try to check out more of their older works.

1. Isfar Sarabski - Novruz
I don't think it was as specifically Asian-sounding as my other two selections but this is what I was most engaged by while listening to this playlist. A fantastic performance.

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

The thing is, despite being traditional Tibetan sacred music (so the description says), it sounds kind of avant-garde to my ears. But then avant-garde music from the western world is often inspired by music from other parts of the world. I wonder if it is some sort of bagpipe that we hear? The low-pitched wind instruments sounds like a tuba or a deep trombone, but I believe it is a local instrument too. I wish the info in the clip provided informantion about this. I like this piece a lot too. Contender.

The titular Dung Chen and Gya Ling are the names of the instruments, the former being the low-pitched 12-foot metal trumpets and the latter being the high-pitched "bagpipes" (the liner notes to my disc copy describe them as oboes but they're actually more related to the zurna). Both are played in pairs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 09:30
Last batch

Very intimate atmosphere in the beginning with only the piano. The main chord progression after the intro reminds me a bit of ”Everything in the Right Place” by Radiohead. Before the 2:00 mark, a band sets in, including, double bass, drums, violins, cello, plus a string instrument that I am not familiar with. We get a few bars with the 7/8 time signature. Then the piano is alone again, and we move into a traditional jazz trio section with double bass and drums. The previously mentioned string instrument has a solo from just before 5:00. Looking at the frets, it appears it was built to contain microintervals of some sort (some frets are very close). I am aware that music from that area often contains microintervals, so it should come as no surprise. Then there’s a piano solo which gets kind of ”wild” towards the end. Very enjoyable performance, and it is another contender.

Baraka: Balinese Monkey Chant IDN
The music here starts in quite a cinematic mood until there’s a very surprisng transition to a rather wild choir. It reminds me a bit of the Finnish shouting choir Mieskuoro Huutajat. I like it a lot.

Nursat Fateh Ali Khan: Mustt Mustt PAK
This one has reggae vibes, and there is a funky slap bass too. Call-and-response between the main singer and the backing vocalists. There’s an accordion too (I think).

The thing is, despite being traditional Tibetan sacred music (so the description says), it sounds kind of avant-garde to my ears. But then avant-garde music from the western world is often inspired by music from other parts of the world. I wonder if it is some sort of bagpipe that we hear? The low-pitched wind instruments sounds like a tuba or a deep trombone, but I believe it is a local instrument too. I wish the info in the clip provided informantion about this. I like this piece a lot too. Contender.

Edited by The Anders - September 15 2021 at 09:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 15:56
Second batch

Mono: Nowhere, Now Here JPN
Starts with some silent guitar in the left channel. Bass and lead guitar enter after a minute or so. The arrangement builds up gradually with more instruments (cellos). Around 3:20 there is a sudden change of tempo and mood, and the music becomes more like metal (the more soft corners of it). A whole string orchestra is added along with the rock instrumentation. The electric guitars beomre more prominent in the soundscape after some time. It all culminates around 8:00. Not so much my thing, but it’s not uninteresting. Poor violinists, they have to try and read the notes while all these epileptic light effects are on.

This one begins with some drums.. Then the music moves towards a folkish sound containing a pentatone melody which is sung with a lot of ornamentation. Instruments include flutes, some string instruments, a marrimba (?) and a harp. From 3:00 there is also some jazzy piano. Very charming, and it is a strong contender for my part.

We are in the experimental electronic area here. It builds very slowly with some very dissonant sounds that are sort of floating around (probably as a result of being out of tune, thus creating a vibrating sound). Very minimalistic. Around 3:00 a ”beat” of sorts is faded in while the previous sounds fade out. Various sounds are floating in and out while the ”beat” is on, including, after 8:00, what sounds like electronic feedback. The beat fades out, and the ”feedback” is alone as the track moves towards the end. The music ends rather abruptly. Strong contender.

Altin Gün: Tatli Dile Güler Yüze TUR/NLD
I knew some songs by Altin Gün, but not this one. The song is in the funk-rock universe, with a prominent guitar riff in the instrumental sections. Think I liked some of their other songs a bit better, but I enjoy this one too.

Fatih Erkoç: Emmoglu TUR
The song starts with oriental sounds in the Lydian mode, but then the music changes to something more American, complete with Louis Armstrong type of ”growl”. Then back again to the oriental, and at last he goes hard rock. Overall it’s more like a medley than a song, and it’s a tad too gimmicky for my taste. But tastes differ.

Edited by The Anders - September 14 2021 at 15:56
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 14:34

@Lorenzo
I'm glad that you enjoyed the poll! It's not easy to find a new topic after so many editions. Smile

Edited by Mila-13 - September 12 2021 at 14:35
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 14:23
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

A personal reflection on our Asia poll.

I wonder whether I am on the right track or is it rather a preconceived idea that I have about East Asian nature?

Hmm, interesting read. I'm not knowledgeable enough to state something more general about music made in Asia or one of the Asian countries, however, I'm very reluctant to generalize about cultures or about artistic expressions... And I'm very weary to think that there could exist such a thing as "a pure form" of ("ethnic") music, as their is no "pure form" in painting or in cinema (even when there have been claims to it; e.g. "cinéma pur"). Next step would be to think that there is a "pure form" of this or that culture and then we arrive in very dangerous territory, in my opinion.

We probably know our own culture the best, but would have a damn hard time to define it by just a couple of keywords: there is so much diversity within our own culture that I suspect that there is as much diversity in other cultures, which generate a wide variety of artistic expressions. Bringing them down to a limited number of characteristics may help us understand some aspects of that culture, but many other aspects will have been left out and could lead to other views... What I find very interesting with this poll theme is that it has shown this diversity of the artistic/musical expressions. In my eyes (and ears), this richness is much more telling than any generalization about it could be. And in the end, it is just about personal appreciation and preferences...

This was a first attempt to approach traditional music from East and Southest Asia that I am hardly familiar with. I used the term ‘ethnic music’ as a synonym for ‘roots music’ and as a differentiation from ‘folk music or song’. Based on the traditional music from Japan, Tibet and Bali that we have seen here I was trying to recognize some characteristics and put them in relation to what I know. I am aware that this is a greatly simplified view. But my intention was primarily to point out this contrast between tradition and this distinctive individualism that we can see in the contemporary work of the Japanese video game music composer Kikuo and the free imporvision of Toshimaru Nakamura  That is why I put it up for discussion since music from that part of Asia was well represented in this poll. Another reason why I decided to introduce an artist from Azerbaijan since oriental music and music from India and Pakistan is what I know best from Asia.

Edited by Mila-13 - September 12 2021 at 17:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 13:53
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

3) Dewa Alit & Gamelan Salukat: Yeh Ngetel/Dripping Water: Is this traditional? It sounds so strikingly modern! Maybe I'd play this less often than Black String, Jambinai or some others, but how this is connected to some of the most groundbreaking 20th century Western music is just striking.

Thank you for the vote. As for how modern it is, the piece is composed by Dewa Alit (whom you can see conducting towards the end of the clip), and without being an expert on Gamelan music, I believe it would count as a modern take on the genre. A bit like much of the folk music that is made in Europe today btw.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 13:22

INFO - Nomination Deadline: Sunday 5. September 2021

Hi everybody,

I'm sorry for being a bit late. Now that all suggestions are in, I would like to ask you to nominate your final choice, if possible until tomorrow evening, by about 22:00 CET. Otherwise Monday would be fine as well.

For overview I have made a playlist including all your suggestions. You can find all info also on the first page of this thread.

01-03 jamesbaldwin

Nursat Fateh Ali Khan (PAK)

04-06 JD:

Stomp, Jap. Kodo (JPN)

Harry Partch (U.S, influences Japan, Ethiopia?)

Electronicos Fantasricos (JPN)

07-07 The Anders

Dewa Alit & Gamelan Salukat (IDN, Bali)

08-12 Mathman

Wahh World Fusion Band (U.S., influences India)

Jonas Hellborg (Sweden, ft. Indian artists)

Kyaw Kyaw Naing & Ensemble Bang (MMR, Burma)

Yoshida Brothers (JPN)

Black Strings: Hanging Gardens of Babylon (KOR)

13-15 Logan

Geinoh Yamashirogumi (JPN)

Haco + Sakamoto Hiromichi (JPN)

Yoshihiro Kanno (JPN)

16-19 Lewian

Anoushka Shankar ft. Alev Lenz (IND, TUR/DEU)

Cornelius (JPN)

Talvin Singh (IND/UK)

Toshimaru Nakamura (JPN)

20-22 Shadowyzard

Fatih Erkoc (TUR)

Haktan (TUR)

Erkan Gümüşsuyu (TUR)

23-25 TCat

Kahimi Karie (JPN)

Jambinai (KOR)

Sales (U.S./CHN)

26-28 Snicolette

Marla Leigh (U.S., influences, i.a. India, Middle East)

The Chieftains ft. Akiko Jano (IRL/JPN)

Wang Xue (CHN)

29-32 suitkees

Altin Gün (TUR/NLD)

33-34 I prophesy disaster

Balinese Monkey Chant (from the 1992 documentary film Baraka) (IDN, Bali)

Toe (JPN)

35-39 Cristi

Atravan (IRN)

Lovebites (JPN)

Casiopea (JPN)

Mono (JPN)

Skyharbor (IND/UK)

40-42 Mila

Anandi Bhattacharya (IND)

Kikuo ft. Hanatan (JPN)

Isfar Sarabski & Band (AZE)

43-45 Mirakaze

The Monks of the Dip Tse Chok Ling Monastery (CHN, Tibet)

Toru Takemitsu (JPN)

anNina (vocals: Annabel, composition: Inazawa, JPN)

46-46 cstack3

Fareed Haque (PAK/CHL)

Thank you very much for participating and for your great contributions! Smile

Playlist with nominated songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z71tKxrztC4&list=PLRF2N4J-pa5SpaPmgsKvyFcPNXFSiVEaY

Excellent poll!
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 10:11
MY PODIUM AND SPECIAL AWARDS_

I see two masterpieces in this poll,

two very elaborate and inspired pieces, which involved me a lot

(even more than my Ali Khan, which I consider an excellent song with a great impact for the author's vocals but not a true masterpiece)

and these are:

1) Geinoh Yamashirogumi: Osorezan

2) Jambinai: Onda/Prelude KOR

For third place, I have several candidates:

-  Black String: Hanging Gardens of Babylon (GREAT AND PUMPED MINI SUITE)
-Baraka: Balinese Monkey Chant

Which one to choose?

I go with the ethnic choir of 

3) the Balinese Monkey Chant

So, 

4) Black String (almost masterpiece)

5) Isfar Srabskj

6) Akiko Jano

plus the honorable mentions already ... mentioned.

Grand Prix of the public:
-Fatih Erkoç: Emmoglu TUR
-Mono

Grand Critics' Prize:

-----

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 12 2021 at 10:26
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 10:02
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

First impressions:

- Jambinai: Onda / Prelude Minimalistic atmospheric song, which touches the new age, short, it seems like an intro to me.

- Kodo: Stomp. Short percussive piece, which might have been interesting if it had a development

- Geinoh Yamashirogumi: Osorezan. Long piece, an evocative mini suite based on voices and percussion. Contender

Lorenzo,

Apparently you did only listen to the prelude part which is an intro.  This was supposed to have been combined with the track "Onda" and should have been a total of over 9 minutes.  It sounds like you missed the main part of the video.  I noticed that it is listed wrong in the voting section as it should read....

Jambinai - "Prelude/Onda"  

You heard the prelude part but missed the main part of the video.

Thanks, Mike, in fact the song last almost 10 minutes, very poerful and aggressive. Wonderful
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 09:57

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I too avoided paying attention to who posted what. I didn't know or remember that that was yours and also don't wish to be biased against voting for someone's choice who I have voted for various time before in my desire for equal opportunity. 

Hahaha, this probably means both of us have a weak enough memory that we can "forget" who posted what when going through the playlist. Tongue I know it works for me, chances are it wouldn't work for somebody with an at least "normal" (?) memory. Wink
Otherwise, thanks a lot for the kind words!

I used to pride myself on my memory, but in recent years it has declined significantly. It doesn't help that I sleep so little. Recently, though, I must admit that I haven't been paying as much attention to the posts as I used to and am more likely to just wait for the playlist to go up to listen and not listen as many times as I used to. Or at least I think so, I forget.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 09:48
Other impressions:

Monks of DipTseChokLing Monast: For Gya Ling & Dung Chen, Tibet
The nice thing about this song, for my taste, is the sound of ethnic instruments. I have practiced Zen meditation and Qi Gong, and I have already heard something similar. Overall, the result is hypnotic and perhaps a little boring if a person listens to it not for meditation. Honorable mention.

Baraka: Balinese Monkey Chant This is a tribal song, hypnotic, as always happens with tribal dances and songs, the valuable thing is the singing, which takes on rhythmic figures worthy of the verses of the birds. In its own way, this too is experimentation. Contender or honorable mention.

Isfar Sarabski & Band: Novruz; this is a syncopated instrumental piece with a progressive beginning and then western jazz digressions, then the syncopated piece restarts to reach a crescendo final climax. Contender or honorable mention.

Fatih Erkoç: Emmoglu: this song starts melodic, turns into an American style blues, comes a jazz trumpet solo (the best part of the song), then the same sequence starts again with an instrumental piece at the end. The mix of musical genres here is achieved in a brutal way, with very strong passages.

Altin Gün: Tatli Dile Güler Yüze: Basically is a syncopated blues with an oriental guitar swing and singing, quite pumped pop music, very enjoyable.

Mono: Nowhere, Now Here A ten and a half minute piece, instrumental, very pumped up mini suite. I like the soft beginning more. Honorable mention
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 09:42
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

First impressions:

- Jambinai: Onda / Prelude Minimalistic atmospheric song, which touches the new age, short, it seems like an intro to me.

- Kodo: Stomp. Short percussive piece, which might have been interesting if it had a development

- Geinoh Yamashirogumi: Osorezan. Long piece, an evocative mini suite based on voices and percussion. Contender

Lorenzo,

Apparently you did only listen to the prelude part which is an intro.  This was supposed to have been combined with the track "Onda" and should have been a total of over 9 minutes.  It sounds like you missed the main part of the video.  I noticed that it is listed wrong in the voting section as it should read....

Jambinai - "Prelude/Onda"  

You heard the prelude part but missed the main part of the video.

Edited by TCat - September 12 2021 at 09:44

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 09:40
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I too avoided paying attention to who posted what. I didn't know or remember that that was yours and also don't wish to be biased against voting for someone's choice who I have voted for various time before in my desire for equal opportunity. 

Hahaha, this probably means both of us have a weak enough memory that we can "forget" who posted what when going through the playlist. Tongue I know it works for me, chances are it wouldn't work for somebody with an at least "normal" (?) memory. Wink
Otherwise, thanks a lot for the kind words!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 09:13

Ultimately I managed to click myself through to the playlist a few times without server errorsOuch, so I can vote. This is very, very hard, with more than three choices that appeal to my tastes very much, mixing modern and to me "exotic" and surprising elements.

I wasn't tempted to vote for, but still like...
The Balinese Monkey chant... big fun, if probably a bit far from my cultural setup;
Fatih Erkoc - not my style really but I have to admire the vocal performance, and listening to end end ultimately it's quite something;
Kodo: I have seen something like this live, surely not bad but with the existing competition can't win in 1:40.

I have a hard time voting against...
Altin Gul and The Chieftains, really well done and fascinating pop music to which teh Asian element attracts me a lot;
Isfar Sarabski - this is just high quality stuff and a good mix of different influences well brought together.

I have a very hard time voting against...
Mono: I love post rock and this is a great example - just went for those where I can hear Asia more clearly this time...

Monks of DipTseChokLing Monast: Meditative music that works very well for me and has a richer sound spectrum than most I have heard of this kind... meditation however is different from finding a winner in a competition...
Jambinai: For a long time I was convinced I would be voting for this, really great stuff of the kind that will always get me, but ultimately decided to only vote for one of this and Black String and the latter had a 0.1% higher fascination factor.

Still left with four I guess, so...
Black String goes out, too, as the Geinoh Yamashirogumi one is such a feast and still, in my perception, the same "direction" in some sense.

That leaves me with:
3) Dewa Alit & Gamelan Salukat: Yeh Ngetel/Dripping Water: Is this traditional? It sounds so strikingly modern! Maybe I'd play this less often than Black String, Jambinai or some others, but how this is connected to some of the most groundbreaking 20th century Western music is just striking.

2) Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan: This is addictive as the best (or worst) drug...

1) Geinoh Yamashirogum: SO impressive this one! Could be contender for best out of all interactive polls, surely top 3.

As always I didn't check whose suggestions I have voted for (I kind of prefer if this is not indicated in the poll, as I may be biased by it to some extent, like "I have voted for X last time, so now I vote for Y" or something), so I'll now look who got my votes...

...some of the usual suspects.

I'm so happy it was appreciated. I know it could seem a bit too extreme and over-the-top for some in part. I know lots of Geinoh Yamashirogumi and find that a very unique piece. I like everything about it, and really enjoy the Krautrock-like groove to it as well as the cultural qualities that come through.

When I mention that track to others, I usually preface it with a quote from the film Barbarella: "A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."

Interestingly, though maybe not surprising, you choice was my number one this round. I too avoided paying attention to who posted what. I didn't know or remember that that was yours and also don't wish to be biased against voting for someone's choice who I have voted for various time before in my desire for equal opportunity. That said, everyone in these polls has posted music that I really like, so not sure how much that would effect me.

I wanted to post your post in full because it resonates with me on my thinking process when it comes to deciding, and this is me sharing related thoughts and tangents as I often do. I commonly don't like to analyse music that much and instead just experience it without my mind ticking over (like a meditative state of mind stillness without intrusive thoughts), which is one reason why I don't tend to review music much or comment that much on the music generally. Such analysis can spoil my pleasure. I would be comfortable approaching it as you have there. I remember writing papers on films where afterwards, despite having been favourites, I never wanted to watch them again. If there are two similar sounding tracks, even if I really like both, I am less likely to want to vote for both, and so will go with the one that has some edge to me. The more unique ones, maybe not intrinsically but in comparison to others in the list, tend to stand out. I knew I wanted to do Osorezan from the get go, and it is a unique offering in the list (most are in their ways). I also found your choice unique in the list, and such expression does really appeal to me. Like you, I like the Mono very much (also unique in the list) and despite knowing it well already, I was tempted.   As always, plenty of great ones to choose from. I am constantly impressed with the selections in these polls, and love being exposed to new musical avenues. It gets me listening to things properly of an ilk that I might not otherwise and appreciating the diversity.

Edited by Logan - September 12 2021 at 09:17
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 07:57
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

A personal reflection on our Asia poll.

Hmm, interesting read. I'm not knowledgeable enough to state something more general about music made in Asia or one of the Asian countries, however, I'm very reluctant to generalize about cultures or about artistic expressions... And I'm very weary to think that there could exist such a thing as "a pure form" of ("ethnic") music, as their is no "pure form" in painting or in cinema (even when there have been claims to it; e.g. "cinéma pur"). Next step would be to think that there is a "pure form" of this or that culture and then we arrive in very dangerous territory, in my opinion.

We probably know our own culture the best, but would have a damn hard time to define it by just a couple of keywords: there is so much diversity within our own culture that I suspect that there is as much diversity in other cultures, which generate a wide variety of artistic expressions. Bringing them down to a limited number of characteristics may help us understand some aspects of that culture, but many other aspects will have been left out and could lead to other views... What I find very interesting with this poll theme is that it has shown this diversity of the artistic/musical expressions. In my eyes (and ears), this richness is much more telling than any generalization about it could be. And in the end, it is just about personal appreciation and preferences...

Edited for space considerations.

Even though I am just waking up, have not yet had coffee, so will not be terribly erudite, I agree so much with this, Kees.  The quest for and the definining, insistence upon purity can be a very dangerous thing,  indeed.  

Strength in diversity and all that, which this poll certainly illustrated.  And always, in the end, just personal appreciation and preferences.  I would add that the sharing here can also expand those things that we appreciate and prefer, with the exposure to them, it is something I have certainly experienced herein.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 07:10

By the way @Lorenzo: I don't know to what extent and in which sense what Nakamura does is "typically Japanese", neither do I know which aspects of it are of Japanese origin, and to be honest, I don't mind much. Or let's say, I'd be interested in the information, but it wouldn't affect my listening. I know that he is not alone in Japan doing such things, and I suspect a certain connection to Japanese fascination with technology, and a certain extreme strain in Japanese culture that can manifest itself in very experimental avantgarde art and music... but then this is not only Japanese, see above.

I should also say that I don't normally listen to Nakamura's music analytically. It has a certain direct, meditative, enrichening effect on me. One could maybe say that such music integrates more in my life and environment and enhances it. I can perceive it as autonomous music, however it has more interaction with my general perception than most other music has (for example I can perceive other sounds and noises happening at the same time as integrating with it).

Thanks for the answer Christian, because, in fact, I was going to ask you how you approach this music, that is, what is the way and the moment in which you listen to it. I am ignorant of electronic music (or electronic musical experiments) and in fact I often wonder what kind of approach it requires, because in my opinion cultured music or jazz or electronic often requires a different listening in comparison to that of rock. For example, you don't listen to a rock piece while you are meditating, unless it is a moving meditation, such as those designed by Osho. I also did Zen meditation, but we were silent, while some oriental or new age music would be good for meditation at the end of the yoga sessions.

What you tell me is an experiment of integration between music and you who meditate and hear other sounds and noises around you, a bit like Cage's 4 minutes and 33 of silence, which has its meaning especially live, where you hear the noises surrounding.

In any case I am interested in sound research, in fact I love the Beatles who among the firsts made it starting from Rubber Soul / Revolver, and if I ask you for information it is because when you post experimental electronic music that combines sound experimentation with a musical score (as you did in the penultimate poll), the masterpiece often comes out, so this Japanese artist might be interesting to me if he tried to write less extreme pieces.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 06:51
Akiko Jano.

I know this song well because I have this Chieftans album, which I liked very much although not as much as the previous one (where Ry Cooder, Sting, Van Morrison etc. were). This is a hybrid song between Celtic folk and Japanese atmospheres and singing, very soft and pleasant, with interesting moments especially when the interpreter sings, the music always remains on an accompanying level, it does not have great narrative moments. There is no climax but it is all very pleasant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>