Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Alan Parsons Project VS Utopia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: The Alan Parsons Project VS Utopia (US band)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [44.00%]
17 [34.00%]
6 [12.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Alan Parsons Project VS Utopia
    Posted: July 10 2022 at 07:38
I love the first two Utopia albums and the first three APP albums, but that's about it. However, I love the debut Utopia album about 2,351,447 times more than the others combined, so voted Utopia.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 05:47
The Alan Parsons Project
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
EduTatsumi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EduTatsumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 15:45
The Alan Parsons Project
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 14:46
Utopia !
APP is nice , a bit to mellow for my tastes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 13:04
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

I think comparing APP to Camel would be a better comparison.  I picked APP.  As much as I revere Todd, there is simply more APP content to listen to.

Ok, but do you seriously think APP stands a chance against Camel on this site? 

Btw, I'm a bit surprised(but glad) to see someone else who is my age and from the Philly area. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 24 2021 at 13:06
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 19:33
I think comparing APP to Camel would be a better comparison.  I picked APP.  As much as I revere Todd, there is simply more APP content to listen to.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 13:54
Thanks for explaining that Friede. That's a very interesting story. For whatever reason, I never got around to owning any AD2 (although I have heard a little here and a little there). Oddly enough though, I do have the AD album "paradieswarts Duul."
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 11:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Please note that this refers to the US band Utopia and not the rather obscure German band with the same name. Wink

Neither band made it out of the 80's so they have that in common if nothing else. The winner goes up against Saga. Wink

Also, you don't have to be super familiar with both to vote one or the other but please know more than just a handful of songs by each and preferably at least one or two albums by each. 

The German band Utopia are not that obscure; actually their only album was re-released as an Amon Düül II album.

Historically this is incorrect though; Utopia were formed when Amon Düül 2 temporarily broke up due to an internal feud that included threats with revolvers and knives. Some of the members formed Utopia and started recording a self-titled album while Amon Düül II recorded "Wolf City".

But since they both recorded in the same studio it was inevitable that they ran into each other again and again. And so they made peace with each other again, which resulted in all members playing on both albums.

And one song, "Deutsch Nepal", was liked so much by both bands that it appeared on both albums, albeit in different versions.

This information is from the Amon Düül II biography "Tanz der Lemminge" written by German rock journalist Ingeborg Schober. She and her boyfriend, filmmaker Rüdiger Nüchtern (who shot the short movie "Amon Düül II plays Phallus Dei"), were close friends of the band.

Edited by BaldFriede - November 22 2021 at 11:51

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 09:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I only know APP and I don't really love anything in particular. I know Todd Rundgren more as a producer and especially for The Tubes Remote Control album which I like a lot. 

Yes, that's a great album. Although a bit proggy they Tubes apparently don't have enough prog in them(according to those who make those kind of decisions) to even qualify as prog related on this site(along with a few other bands). I remember seeing the Tubes in the 80's as a teen(with Utopia opening no less) and they started their set off with "turn me on."

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 22 2021 at 09:34
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 08:25
APP by a wide margin
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:29
APP gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 01:58
I only know APP and I don't really love anything in particular. I know Todd Rundgren more as a producer and especially for The Tubes Remote Control album which I like a lot. 
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 12:47
I almost love both equally; both have had plenty of killer and filler over their histories but both hold a significant place in my own listening history.. but i've just got to go with Todd & co... From the first Utopia lp right up to the fantastic Redux 92; live in Japan which just Kicks the proverbial from start to finish! 

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 11:21

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

yay, it's a tie! 

I didn't think it would be this close. I figured Utopia would take the lead because of their debut album. 

I could say the same about APP LOL

Really? You think it's better than I Robot?

I actually prefer Pyramid to both the debut and I Robot.

I rarely listen to Utopia, and I've overplayed some APP albums. That explains my vote, doesn't it? LOL

Maybe. Wink

I'm gonna listen some Utopia tomorrow. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 10:45

yay, it's a tie! 

I didn't think it would be this close. I figured Utopia would take the lead because of their debut album. 

I rarely listen to Utopia, and I've overplayed some APP albums. That explains my vote, doesn't it? LOL

Maybe. Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 10:42
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Not sure how to vote on this one: Utopia had 1 & 1/2 great prog albums, APP had four or five very good proggy albums. Todd Rundgren's Utopia is, IMO, one of the finest true prog albums ever made (even if he and the boys may have been just playing around in a kind of JTULL/Thick as a Brick style. Nobody casts Ian and the Gang any shade for their tongue-in-cheek little joke, though, do they?)

Tough one . . .

Absolutely. It's a gem. Another Live is also superb. TRU & AL are great keyboard albums — Moogy, Ralph, Roger!

As the first quartet album, Ra is a step down, but it's still a very, very good prog record. 

APP produced nothing I'd put on par with those.

Edited by verslibre - November 21 2021 at 10:44
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 10:30

Gnosis, this site and wikipedia all say 87. I'm talking about an official release date which is usually what we go by. Jan. of 87 but still 87. I suppose you are one of those people who thinks Permanent Waves by Rush is a 70's album even though it was released in early 1980. LOL 

Oh, it's "officially" '87. I just love to see you scrambling to collect deets. LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 10:29

You can do "both." That's what I would probably do but I'm not really familiar enough with Utopia so I won't vote at all.

Er, why even do a poll like this, then...? Confused

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 10:07

yay, it's a tie! 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 10:03

yay, it's a tie! 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 21 2021 at 10:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>