Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Top 100: Albums 70 to 79

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: What's your favorite out of these?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [6.58%]
8 [10.53%]
2 [2.63%]
11 [14.47%]
2 [2.63%]
3 [3.95%]
7 [9.21%]
13 [17.11%]
15 [19.74%]
10 [13.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PA Top 100: Albums 70 to 79
    Posted: January 25 2022 at 08:24
I'll go with the Hamburglers
Prog On!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 06:21
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

^ Not that beloved - they occupy the bottom 3 slots on this poll

I was explaining why it deserves to be in the poll. 
4.28 611 ratings | 45 reviews 

2 people still voted for the album and considering the competition, I dare say- not bad! 
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 06:17
^ Not that beloved - they occupy the bottom 3 slots on this poll
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 05:33

I have just listened to them - very conservative to the point of predictability and not at all progressive.  To be honest, 'Opeless are more interesting.  I don't really know how this stuff gets into any progressive top 100.  At least it's got the bum's rush from the voters here.

Tech/extreme progressive metal is another prog subgenre, so I do not have a problem with artists of extreme progressive metal being in the Top 100. 

I dislike a few albums in this Top 100, but that does not mean those albums should not be there, especially since they are beloved by others. 
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 05:14
Arbeit Macht Frei is on the top of the mountain.

Gong and Hackett, on the hills around, watch him with envy.

The other ones are very far in the lowlands.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 24 2022 at 05:40
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 04:59
I have just listened to them - very conservative to the point of predictability and not at all progressive.  To be honest, 'Opeless are more interesting.  I don't really know how this stuff gets into any progressive top 100.  At least it's got the bum's rush from the voters here.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 04:43

So what's that Death album doing there as well?  

tech/extreme progressive metal album, again quite beloved, that's why it's there.  
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 04:18
So what's that Death album doing there as well?  
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 15:40
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Did I say I disliked them?  All I am saying is that they are not prog - I've said that about Jethro Tull as well, a band I am definitely a fan of!

Have you heard Heritage or their new stuff? It's just straight up progressive rock, not much any metal anymore.

Is it still growly or clean vocals now?

it's explained there. 
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 15:29
Hamburger
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 14:38
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Did I say I disliked them?  All I am saying is that they are not prog - I've said that about Jethro Tull as well, a band I am definitely a fan of!

Have you heard Heritage or their new stuff? It's just straight up progressive rock, not much any metal anymore.

Is it still growly or clean vocals now?
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 13:02

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 12:22

Did I say I disliked them?  All I am saying is that they are not prog
Dislike or like whatever you feel like. I don't care, but actually yes. That's how I interpret

Still don't get it - a friend told me they were prog until he was blue in the face so I went along - curious.  What a waste of time it was.  Boring too.  Daft vocal technique - entertaining for 10 year olds I suppose.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 11:04
Khan....Hackett...Gong...then the rest.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 10:58

They used to be progressive death metal or call it extreme progressive metal. It's still a progressive music subgenre. 

Even the music they've been doing since Heritage, it's still progressive rock. If you call TFK that, then Opeth needs to be called that, too. 
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 10:41
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 10:36

It seems my comments about 'Opeless have set the cat among the pigeons.  I do love classic heavy metal, etc. but the sight of watching 'Opeless churning out turgid metal and then pretending they are 'prog' left a negative impression on me.  By the way, I have seen hundreds of bands so I know what I am talking about it.

So you dislike Opeth, you said it several times. Now that we all know, can we move on? 
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 10:34
It seems my comments about 'Opeless have set the cat among the pigeons.  I do love classic heavy metal, etc. but the sight of watching 'Opeless churning out turgid metal and then pretending they are 'prog' left a negative impression on me.  By the way, I have seen hundreds of bands so I know what I am talking about it.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 05:23
Khan's incredible album gets my vote, although some great albums here. Gong is a close second
Songs cast a light on you
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 05:01
Hackett
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>