Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters Time Redux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters Time Redux
    Posted: October 10 2023 at 06:49
^ Sounds absolutely dreadful.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2023 at 06:00
Review of the recent Palladium show that a friend of mine was at

Quote I just came back from the RW Palladium show, or at least half of it...I went to see an intimate RW show knowing I would have to suffer the Dsotm redux- what I did not know was that the first half of the show will include only 2 songs (The Bar and Mother).
The rest of the first half were the ramblings of a man in his old age and a very long story from his upcoming memoir about a duck (I kid you not).
Turns out there were 2 more stories that were left out because they were too long (thank god for that).
I left before the dsotm bit to try and salvage the evening, managed to see about 55 minutes of King Krule which was about 10000 times better.
Regarding the performance itself, if I disregard all the self centered ramblings- his singing was very good, no playback, and once he even forgot to take the microphone when it was his turn to sing again, so he just shouted one verse. Also, when the first song (out of the two!) was finished, he seemed a bit baffled and asked the band what should he do now, almost left after just one song! I am afraid dementia is creeping in.

P.S. - there were no encores in both shows, talking with someone who stayed the entire show- he said the audience just got up and left after eclipse. I guess I was not the only one underwhelmed.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 09:00
This thread is for the Time redux, there is already a thread on the whole album
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 07:42
^ I think he earns way more money from touring than from CD/vinyl/download sales. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 07:21
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Here's a thread where we can discuss Ukraine (if we want to) ... tomorrow the DSOTM Redux album will be released, at least then this thread should turn back towards discussing it. :-) 

Nah...why?? It's a Waters money grab, profiting off a resurgence from the vinyl community if u ask me. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 06:44
Here's a thread where we can discuss Ukraine (if we want to) ... tomorrow the DSOTM Redux album will be released, at least then this thread should turn back towards discussing it. :-) 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 06:01
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I would have to think Russia is secretly wishing the war would end so they don't go into bankruptcy.....but then you have China, probably helping fund Russia as well providing weapons and tech for the war. China will keep Russia afloat after the war is over is my guess.

I can understand the reasoning behind this, but I think China has bigger problems of their own. The biggest one is an inevitable demographic collapse from their one-child policy. Some have argued that this is already happening and the limited data coming out of China is hiding this. Inevitably this is going to lead to an economic collapse that's going to have repercussions throughout the world for countries that rely on specific resources from China. The U.S.'s move away from globalization is a move in the right direction, but it's coming too late. Further, Xi Jinping has pretty much eliminated any political competition he might have within China, has surrounded himself by "yes men," and has consolidated his power. It doesn't seem like he understands the seriousness of the situation and this is a bad time for a country to have a leader like this. 

Russia is also in the middle of a demographic crisis, though not as severe as what China is or will experience, but this war is exasperating Russia's problems. Who would have ever imagined Russia looking to North Korea for weapons?
I've seen and heard this myself on my business trips to China, which were back in 2006-2010 visiting wood mfgs and all we heard was how they did not see any future for internal growth. Most of the current work force at that time was very old, slowing down and dying off....Even if the younger generation was interested in the work there are not enough volume to replace, for sure nowhere near a 1:1 ratio.

Yes the US moving away from SE Asia as a supply chain provider is good, some segments have been doing this but some are too late. Imagine what someone like Walmart would go thru if China collapsed......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 05:47
^ I don't really know what you're saying there - hard to parse. But in any case, when it comes to economic power Russia seems to be doing great, as the sanctions are mostly hurting European countries. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 04:45

Doesn't justify the invasion, but as you also said, Putin has nukes. It's pretty reckless to treat him as if he hadn't. Geopolitics is not about ethics or justice, it's about power.

Hi,

And in this case it was/is about adding to the economic power of the country ... which we know did not happen ... but then, many a leader made severe mistakes that caused them to fall ... just crazy that this one does not see that in history! He must have really been given the Uncle Scrooge Theory of something or other!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 01:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Its pretty clear he did it because he was lead to believe that it would be quick and easy and Ukraine would fold.

Maybe it was also because in the days and weeks before the invasion Ukraine was intensifying the bombardement of the Donbass and Zelenski and NATO were making increasingly aggressive remarks about making Ukraine a part of NATO and stationing nuclear weapons there, when all the time Russia had been saying that they see this as an existential threat and Ukraine has to stay neutral?

Doesn't justify the invasion, but as you also said, Putin has nukes. It's pretty reckless to treat him as if he hadn't. Geopolitics is not about ethics or justice, it's about power.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 01:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Putin was never forced into anything, the idea that he had no choice but to invade Ukraine is just plain daft.

Who is putting forward that idea?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 16:41
Putin was never forced into anything, the idea that he had no choice but to invade Ukraine is just plain daft. Its pretty clear he did it because he was lead to believe that it would be quick and easy and Ukraine would fold. However never understimate the power of patrotism and a feeling of duty to one's country. Up to a point it served Hitler well and similarly Putin has a lot of support as does Zelenski of course. The situation is incredibly dangerous and we've still not got to a point where Putin will eventually be defeated like Hitler was. Hitler didn't have nuclear weapons though and thank the god he didn't because none of us would be here now typing away.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 16:19
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

^ You have no idea what I think and what I already know but thanks for your lessons. Let's leave it at that with the off topic.

I know what you wrote, and it suggests a very binary view of the situation - it’s either completely Putin’s fault, or 100% the West. If I got that wrong, please do accept my apology.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 15:41
^ You have no idea what I think and what I already know but thanks for your lessons. Let's leave it at that with the off topic.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 13:48
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

^ Are you saying NATO should've told Putin "you can have Ukraine, fine by us"? Sure, it's all "the west"'s fault if Russia decides to invade Ukraine...

It's all black or white to you, isn't it? In reality it is Any Color You Like.

Listen to the Mearsheimer talk I linked to above, he explains quite clearly why Putin never intended to "take" the Ukraine. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 12:39
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Second release. Whadda think? I give it one generous star. Horrid.

Hey Grumpy! Your thread appears to have gone slightly off-topic through no fault of your own. Time to set the record straight..... I love Roger's redux version of Time, with only faint Echoes of the original version. One of These Days I may even go out and buy it, although they say a fool is easily parted with his Money. Tongue
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 12:24
^^^
If NATO hadn't advanced its pawn in Eastern Europe against Russia for almost three decades (90's to 20's), we wouldn't be facing this situation. We have systematically refused to hear Russia's fears & insecurities for 30 years and kept onwards in our "capitalo-military march" eastbound.

Of course, Putin's aggression is unqualified and legitimates NATO's sordid & twisted expansion politics.
Indeed, this legitimately pushed Sweden & Finland into our toxic arms and arms and harm.

We've discussed this in PM before, not only about Ukraine, but also in EC's member Latvia's important Russian minorities, where 300 000 russianophones (15% of Latvia's population) are denied citizenship and therefore can't be counted along the other russianspeakers who have it (another 25% of the population)

Edited by Sean Trane - October 04 2023 at 12:29
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 11:31
^ Are you saying NATO should've told Putin "you can have Ukraine, fine by us"? Sure, it's all "the west"'s fault if Russia decides to invade Ukraine...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 09:27

Who would have ever imagined Russia looking to North Korea for weapons?

How do we even know that this is the case? Through the evening news? Cannot trust them on matters of national importance. We know this is obviously true in Russia, but as history shows, it is true in the West as well. Has been in every major war that I can recall.

Let me rephrase that to "allegedly looking." It is curious that Sergei Shoigu went to North Korea and inspected North Korean missiles and later Kim Jong Un went to Russia and inspected bombers, hypersonic missiles, and warships. Perhaps nothing, perhaps just two leaders seeing how big their penises are. Beats me.

Not sure Putin enjoys North Korea as a partner at all, but since he's being pushed (by us westerners), he's probably feeling compelled to at least to see what his direct neighbor (couple of hundreds of kms from Vladivostok) is doing with his army.

The west pushed Russia into China's arms AFAIAC, and we (the' whole planet) will be sorry in the mid-future (the Artic route being rebuilt by China)

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 09:21

Who would have ever imagined Russia looking to North Korea for weapons?

How do we even know that this is the case? Through the evening news? Cannot trust them on matters of national importance. We know this is obviously true in Russia, but as history shows, it is true in the West as well. Has been in every major war that I can recall.

Let me rephrase that to "allegedly looking." It is curious that Sergei Shoigu went to North Korea and inspected North Korean missiles and later Kim Jong Un went to Russia and inspected bombers, hypersonic missiles, and warships. Perhaps nothing, perhaps just two leaders seeing how big their penises are. Beats me.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>