Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Chronicles of Father Robin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tosunpasha View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tosunpasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Chronicles of Father Robin
    Posted: February 29 2024 at 12:10
My favorite is book 2
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 11:22
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Well, what do expect from Norway?Wink

I take that as a jest. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, but I’ll answer too.

I don’t know what I expected, but not that. They have wowed me with Wobbler before. Still did at times with the books, but scattered.

I’ll make a playlist and see how that works out for me.

Norway surprised me when I first discovered Norwegian prog. I’d not been much of a fan of Norwegian music before listening to Wobbler, Susanne Sundfør, Jordsjø, Aurora and others, but once I got over that idea and looked, there was quite a lot of amazing music.

I guess I expected something else.

Edited by Zeph - February 29 2024 at 11:26
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 10:26

Excellence, maybe? Are we supposed to pretend that Motorpsycho, Shamblemaths, Wobbler, Seven Impale, Ihsahn and Leprous, among many others, haven't awed us in recent times? 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 10:21

Fjords.

I was looking at the reviews and ratings at PA of the third last night and do find the spectrum of ratings quite interesting. I have not heard it but will sample some of it anon.

Edited by Logan - February 29 2024 at 10:23
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 09:37

What's that supposed to mean?! Ermm 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 09:31
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

They ruined this project by releasing three subpar albums instead of one strong one. They have material to make one good album instead of three short ones. But I guess that this way they can charge you three times instead of one, and money threw artistic integrity out of the window. 

The more I listed to this project, the more disappointed I am. I have enjoyed, Wobbler, The Samuel Jackson Five and Jordsjø in the past (I never cared about Tusmørke), but my interest in them certaintly took a hit after what they have done here. 

I was also thinking that they could have made one 40-60 minute album instead. There are a lot of easy going tracks across all three volumes. They belong together, but listening to them in order is two hours of music, which struggle to keep my attention even when I find it more varied and engaging. I very rarely use playlists, but I am tempted to create my own mix of the books. It’s likely to get more playtime than the albums as a whole. It’s got some good tunes, but there’s too much between.

Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 09:27

They ruined this project by releasing three subpar albums instead of one strong one. They have material to make one good album instead of three short ones. But I guess that this way they can charge you three times instead of one, and money threw artistic integrity out of the window. 

The more I listed to this project, the more disappointed I am. I have enjoyed, Wobbler, The Samuel Jackson Five and Jordsjø in the past (I never cared about Tusmørke), but my interest in them certaintly took a hit after what they have done here. 

I was also thinking that they could have made one 40-60 minute album instead. There are a lot of easy going tracks across all three volumes. They belong together, but listening to them in order is two hours of music, which struggle to keep my attention even when I find it more varied and engaging. I very rarely use playlists, but I am tempted to create my own mix of the books. It’s likely to get more playtime than the albums as a whole. It’s got some good tunes, but there’s too much between.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 08:40
I love all three Books. Different strokes for different folks.Wink

edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 08:14

Edited by edefakiel - February 29 2024 at 08:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 06:36
Pete- from Sea of Tranquility- gave Book III a 4.5/5.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv6ws-UUsmY&t=2s

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 29 2024 at 06:39
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 01:43
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Book III is interesting to me if only because it's goes against the idea of a 'big finish'. They seem to have gone in a counter intuitive opposite direction. I never thought of the Yes comparison at all but perhaps it could be a lost Jon Anderson solo album.Wink

The most Yes song to me is Cloudship from Book III. That could have been taken from a Yes album.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2024 at 18:13
I>>II
waiting to order the third
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2024 at 17:05
Book III is interesting to me if only because it's goes against the idea of a 'big finish'. They seem to have gone in a counter intuitive opposite direction. I never thought of the Yes comparison at all but perhaps it could be a lost Jon Anderson solo album.Wink
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2024 at 13:37
I love all three!!!
The Prog Corner
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2024 at 13:28
Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

The other day I listened to Book III. Definitely a lot better than Book II. If I had to rank the albums I would say

3. Book II
2. Book III
1. Book I

Pretty high quality band imo

^My feelings, exactly.Wink
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2024 at 11:24
The other day I listened to Book III. Definitely a lot better than Book II. If I had to rank the albums I would say

3. Book II
2. Book III
1. Book I

Pretty high quality band imo
D~B
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2024 at 01:26
^ gave it 3.5 stars (good, but not great). Found it to be really boring at times, and highly derivative of classic Prog (even down to the vocal phrasing it sounds exactly like CttE, the “get up, get down part”).

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - February 24 2024 at 01:26
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2024 at 01:19
Book III is certainly more ambient and folk based but wouldn't call it a 'snoozefest' as was suggested earlier in the thread. Enjoyable at least.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 06:04
I'm going through and listening to all 3 albums in a row, now that Book III is released 
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
TheEliteExtremophile View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEliteExtremophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2024 at 09:20

I enjoy some of Wobbler's music. Particularly, their first album Hinterland, which showcases clear influences from Gentle Giant. However, I did not find Afterglow to be as impressive, as it sounded thin and unusual to me. Similarly, Rites at Dawn seemed like a weak imitation of Genesis. From Silence to Somewhere left a lasting impression on me, I consider it their most successful effort and a classic on its genre, but Dwellers of the Deep, while still a good album, did not quite measure up to its predecessor. 

Having this in mind, I listened to The Chronicles of Father Robin. I did not enjoy the first one much. I had recently heard Fire Fortellinger and found it more engaging, although it had a similar sound. I enjoyed Book II, which sounded fresher, more concise, and interesting. On the other hand, I was completely unimpressed by Book III, which, in my opinion, should not even exist.

From my perspective, only the existence of Book II is justified, the rest of this project is pretty much redundant.

In my opinion, none of the Chronicles of Father Robin matches the excellence of Wobbler's best moments. Additionally, Book III is the weakest release from this "band/collective/gang".

Finally! It's so refreshing to find someone else who isn't on the Wobbler worship train. (I do most of my music discussion over on Reddit, and the prog rock subreddit goes *hard* for Wobbler.) Like, I enjoy them, but my views are pretty close to your own. They're so heavily inspired by Yes and Genesis, it often borders on feeling like regurgitation. Plus, Dwellers of the Deep was just a spotty record overall.

I agree that Book II is the most original of the trilogy, but it just takes so, so long to get going. And it's not that long a record. That's probably why I prefer Book I. It's a bit more bloated, but it doesn't spend a quarter of its runtime slowly introducing things.

And to answer Cristi, I got Book III early because I've got a music blog, and Karisma Records sent me the files for a review. I've got my review scheduled to go up on Monday 2/26.
(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'85880db24f71c52d',t:'MTcwODQ0NTc4MC45MzAwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium; visibility: ;">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>