the first Dune will always be the best
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 02:13
Originally posted by Mikeypoo Mikeypoo wrote:

ooo nicely put. i would tend to lean towards Sci Fi still with most everybody i hope... but  it clearly has elements of both (or according to Peter) and i can see your point. sames true for music and its just that that sets off many arguments in these very forums.. prog or not,  metal or not, mainstream or not, etc.

Yes, Dune has many fantastic elements as well: Royal families, a power that is effectively magic, etc.

But, overall, it's classed as sci fi. Lots of hardware/technology.

An excellent read! The first one, especially is very, very absorbing!

Edited by Peter
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 02:08
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Well, Dune is generally regarded as science fiction (often concerning the future, spaceships, other planets, advanced technology, etc).Ermm

Fantasy, on the other hand, generally involves magic, and often, a pseudo-medieval setting.

The two genres are related, yes, but generally treated as separate (though sometimes the lines blur, and writers often don't necessarily stick to just one or the other).

I don't know if Herbert has ever written any pure fantasy.Smile

But, just in case you don't want to take my word for it, I got this from the Official Dune Website:

"Frank Herbert's Dune series is one of the grandest epics in the annals of imaginative literature. Selling millions of copies worldwide, it is science fiction's answer to The Lord of the Rings, a brilliantly imaginative epic of high adventure, unforgettable characters, and immense scope."

Great books, BTW, though, for me, the first was easily the best.Thumbs Up

You make a point Peter, when saying limits are blur, lets see an example:

Star Wars: A futuristic space saga with spaceships, interstellar voyages, etc no doubt about it, but it has all the characteristcs of Fantasy that you mention:

1. Magic: The limits beyond magic and mysticism in the Jedi Knigts is very soft, so at least we have one component of Fantasy.
  2. Swords: Light sabers are the equivalent to swords. the monsters we see take the place of the dragons, etc.
  3. Pseudo Medieval settings: We have Queen Amidala, Princess Leia, Jedi Nights who fight for the sake of goodness.

What's this Sci Fi or Fantasy?

Iván

Space opera!

It's a "fairy tale" set in space -- think of the opening: "long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." substitute "kingdom" for "galaxy," and you have a typical fairy tale opening. 

For sure, Ivan, that one is a major blend. I've always noticed how Star Wars "looks like sci fi, but acts like fantasy," as it were. Princesses, magic (the "force"), etc -- it is really more fantasy than sci-fi.

(Notice that I was careful to use words like "generally" and "often" in my post -- there are always exceptions.)

SW is pretty clumsy in its sci fi, too -- witness the spaceships making sound in the vacuum of space! Ha!LOL Too much of the "science" is never explained, as well: just how does a non-aerodynamic craft, with no wings or rocket blast, levitate silently when within a planet's atmosphere? "Anti-gravity?" All indications are, such a thing is flat-out impossible.

There are many other examples of such fantasy/sci fi blends, but that one is certainly an obvious one! (For one excellent such blend, check out Robert Silverberg's stunning Lord Valentine's Castle. An amazing, engrossing read!

Science fiction is a type of "fantastic" literature, anyway. (An offshoot of fantasy, which came first in the guise of the folk/fairy tale.)

But there are generally certain broad parameters between the two.Smile

Most popular fantasy is sword and sorcery -- but by no means does all fantasy fall into that category.

Much science fiction (Larry Niven, Arthur C. Clarke, David Brin, william Gibson, etc) focusses on actual, possible science and technology (so-called "hard" science fiction)  but some sci fi, like that written by Ursula K. LeGuin, for example, in her outstanding novels The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness, effectively "gloss over" all that, and concentrate instead on social sciences like anthropology (her father was a famous anthropologist) and psychology. Her character development, insights into human nature, and portrayals of the clash of "primitive" and technological cultures, is simply awesome, but the science of say, interstellar travel, is just taken for granted as being in place, with no real attempt to explain or justify it. (She writes excellent fantasy too, in her Earthsea series, as well as mainstream fiction. A very versatile author, and certainly one of America's best, in ANY genre!) 

Both types of sci fi can be equally rewarding reads, in different ways.

Happy reading!

He chortled in his joy.
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 00:41
  • George R.R. Martin
  • David Eddings
  • JRR Tolkein (i know he influenced the above authors but i still enjoy them more so they go above him)
  • Terry Brooks
  • I used to like Jordan before he decided to drag out his gold mine. That freaking series is never going to end.
  • I don't like Terry Goodkind

anyways...there you go

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
Mikeypoo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 23:36

ooo nicely put. i would tend to lean towards Sci Fi still with most everybody i hope... but  it clearly has elements of both (or according to Peter) and i can see your point. sames true for music and its just that that sets off many arguments in these very forums.. prog or not,  metal or not, mainstream or not, etc.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 22:36

Well, Dune is generally regarded as science fiction (often concerning the future, spaceships, other planets, advanced technology, etc).Ermm

Fantasy, on the other hand, generally involves magic, and often, a pseudo-medieval setting.

The two genres are related, yes, but generally treated as separate (though sometimes the lines blur, and writers often don't necessarily stick to just one or the other).

But, just in case you don't want to take my word for it, I got this from the Official Dune Website:

"Frank Herbert's Dune series is one of the grandest epics in the annals of imaginative literature. Selling millions of copies worldwide, it is science fiction's answer to The Lord of the Rings, a brilliantly imaginative epic of high adventure, unforgettable characters, and immense scope."

You make a point Peter, when saying limits are blur, lets see an example:

Star Wars: A futuristic space saga with spaceships, interstellar voyages, etc no doubt about it, but it has all the characteristcs of Fantasy that you mention:

1. Magic: The limits beyond magic and mysticism in the Jedi Knigts is very soft, so at least we have one component of Fantasy.
  2. Swords: Light sabers are the equivalent to swords. the monsters we see take the place of the dragons, etc.
  3. Pseudo Medieval settings: We have Queen Amidala, Princess Leia, Jedi Nights who fight for the sake of goodness.

What's this Sci Fi or Fantasy?

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Mikeypoo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 21:28

AHHHHHHHH!!! i love fantasy novels but you put my four top authors on here!... how is a guy supposed to chose? AAAAAHHHHHHHHH brain aneurism!!! i ended up casting my vote for terry goodkind since his was a lonly percentile of ZERO... George RR Martin, Robert Jordon, and David Eddings all had votes so i had to level out the playing feild a little bit. i read almost as much as i listen to music so this poll has done me serious emotional dammage. watch out for a lawsuit progarchives!! im comin' for ya'! Wink

PS Feast for Crows is wonderfull and Knife of Dreams looks scrumptious as well, though i havnt had the pleasure of beggining Jordan's yet.

PEACE!,

mike

Lorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 21:06

Originally posted by Badabec Badabec wrote:

The best fantasy-author is the german author Ullrich Kiesow!

DisapproveAnd by "the best," of course, you mean "my current favourite, of the limited number of authors I've read," right?

Sigh -- does there always have to be one "winner," in everything? Art is not sports, you know.Stern Smile

Gawd, I hate this prevailing mentality that increasingly reduces all human endeavor to competition, and "winners" and "losers!"Dead

Well said Peter  

And by the way, thanks for your clarifying remarks regarding Dune.  I guess I am both a Fantasy and Science Fiction fan, and never thought about the distinction between the two. 

I have read all Dune books in existance at least twice through, and I am currently working on the original 6 for the third time. 
Two heads are better than one, but if you want something done right, do it yourself.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but better safe than sorry.
Look before you leap, but he who hesitates is lost
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 16:46

Originally posted by Badabec Badabec wrote:

DisapproveAnd by "the best," of course, you mean "my current favourite, of the limited number of authors I've read," right?

Sigh -- does there always have to be one "winner," in everything? Art is not sports, you know.Stern Smile

Gawd, I hate this prevailing mentality that increasingly reduces all human endeavor to competition, and "winners" and "losers!"Dead

He chortled in his joy.
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 15:59

Well, if I were going to pick a best fantasy genre writer: It would be Robert E. Howard, followed closely by Moorcock. For me, it never got any better than the best of their stuff.

Now, as Ivan seems to suggest, if we should include criticallly acclaimed literary authors who wrote fantastic literature, I would say that Bruno Schultz's two books provided me with the most surrealistic experiences I've ever gotten from the printed page. I very highly recommend his works to those who like Borges, Kafka, Alain-Fournier, Carrol, Poe, (and even authors like Virginia Woolf, whose "Orlando," is fantasy-style literature).

"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Badabec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 15:01
He has written a book called "Das zerbrochene Rad" in English "The broken wheel".
All sets in the great world of DSA (if anybody knows it).

Das Schwarze Auge
=
The Black Eye

Edited by Badabec
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 16:30

Originally posted by Lorak Lorak wrote:

I cannot believe that you did not include Frank Herbert in this list. 

The DUNE saga is pure fantasy and deep....very deep. 

You can have Tolkien, try getting through the original Dune novels, and then pick up the the prequels done by his son Brian Herbert and collaborator Kevin Anderson (who, by the way, is into prog.  I read that he listens to Dream Theater, and another prog band that I cannot remember at this time, on his blog)

Edited by Peter
He chortled in his joy.
Lorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 16:05
I cannot believe that you did not include Frank Herbert in this list. 

The DUNE saga is pure fantasy and deep....very deep. 

You can have Tolkien, try getting through the original Dune novels, and then pick up the the prequels done by his son Brian Herbert and collaborator Kevin Anderson (who, by the way, is into prog.  I read that he listens to Dream Theater, and another prog band that I cannot remember at this time, on his blog)

Two heads are better than one, but if you want something done right, do it yourself.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but better safe than sorry.
Look before you leap, but he who hesitates is lost
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 04:19

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I can't believe that nobody here has mentioned Stephen Donaldsen from the list

The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant-The Unbeliever (6 books) are outstanding.

Since its publication in 1977, this award-winning trilogy has become an indisputable fantasy classic. Outselling The Lord of the Rings in its day, hailed by critics and loved by readers all over the world, no fantasy library could be considered complete without it.

Thomas did not believe the strange world he found himself in, but, undeniably, the Land tempted him. Back in his world, his illness made him an outcast, unclean, a pariah – but here, he is the reincarnation of Berek Halfhand, saviour and hero. Only the mystic power of his white gold ring can protect the Lords of Revelstone and the Land from the evil of Lord Foul, the Despiser. Foul possesses the Illearth Stone, his deadly armies hold sway, and to free himself from his prison, he will destroy the Land.

With only a small but determined band of followers, Covenant is inexorably drawn into a confrontation with evil that will decide the fate of both worlds . . .

I cannot recommend them too highly.

Er, doesn't that plot synopsis remind you of something?Confused

A trifle derivitive, no?Stern Smile

Too much of the newer fantasy is too formulaic, IMO.

(Much like some say about neo prog/retro prog.)Ermm

Hmmm... "Lord Foul -- the Despiser".... I guess he's a bad guy, right?LOL

Signed,

Major Pain, The Irritating

Let's just say that Eduard Dujardin's Les lauriers sont coupés preceded Joyce's Ulysses.

And re-telling stories is just as important as creating entirely new ones (something that seems nigh impossible in the light of the myths). Read some medieval literature. 

Somehow I can't see Lord Foul the Despiser using his real name - "Rodney James Horowitz III is trying to invade the Land!" somehow doesn't work. Neither does "Bow before Possum Jenkins!"

Tony - I wouldn't call the differences between LotR and The Chronicles subtle... the only real similarities are between the lands. 

Edited by Manunkind
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 21:35

Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

for fantasy with some humour try Fritz Leiber or the outrageous

Robert Aspirin.

Yep.Clap (I prefer Leiber and his brilliant Fafhrd & Grey Mouser books, though.)

[/QUOTE]

Fafryd and The Grey Mouser are exactly what I am talking of. Also , as far as setting goes, nothing beats the dark and dangerous world of Newhon on which our two anti-heroes, rogues tread. Plus, name a city in any other book as cool as that as decadent Lankhmar

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 20:09
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

for fantasy with some humour try Fritz Leiber or the outrageous

Robert Aspirin.

[/QUOTE]

Yep.Clap (I prefer Leiber and his brilliant Fafhrd & Grey Mouser books, though.)

The aforementioned Jack Vance (Cugel's Saga & The Eyes of the Overworld) and L. Sprague de Camp (The Unbeheaded King trilogy, & others) are absolute masters of humourous, very well-written fantasy, too.

(Not so well-known, these days, perhaps -- look for them in second-hand bookstores, or online, I suppose.)

Also, has anyone read The Aquiliad, by S.P. Somtow? Three HILARIOUS books, with the ancient Romans (in the new world), a wily native chief, UFOs, hot-air balloons, an evil time-travelling pig, etc, etc. Take my word for it -- very funny, and well-written. All of my fantasy-reading friends really loved these 80s gems!Big smile

He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 19:52

Lord Foul, the Despiser

Big smileSpeaking of being irritating on the web, here are some more character-revealing fantasy villain names, that, my sources say, Donaldson originally considered:

Baron Bumfogg, the Redolent

Major Trauma, The Drunk Driver

Captain Bringdown, the Buzzkiller

Lord Icky, the Unwashed

Sir Wheezalot, the Athsmatic

General Mayhem, the Unrestrained

Prince Ponce, the Preening

Duke Doorknob, the Dorky

Prince Pronghorn, the Priapic

Sir Swish, the Unmanly

Princess Nympho, the Easy

President Bush, the Bumbling Belligerent

EmbarrassedSorry, Donaldson fans -- I'm just happy to see so many committed readers here!

No?Ouch

OK, I'll go read a book: hmmm... one of the wife's "bodice rippers":

"He was a handsome (and unfeasibly well-endowed) Scottish laird, as wild and free as his highland home. She, his captive, was a haughty, highborn English noblewoman. Sworn enemies, they would nonetheless (eventually) have sex, just before the end of the novel."

Now THAT'S original! And isn't that Fabio on the cover?Big smile

Read on, Progholes!Wink

He chortled in his joy.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 18:38

Apart from one or two archetypal references Thomas Covenant (written in 1977 BTW) is subtly different to TLOTR. Just as all space-operas are set in space then all fantasy novels are set in an alternate world.

Manunkind:I've read Runes,it's not a patch on the original books.

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 18:32

Since its publication in 1977, this award-winning trilogy has become an indisputable fantasy classic. Outselling The Lord of the Rings in its day, hailed by critics and loved by readers all over the world, no fantasy library could be considered complete without it.

Thomas did not believe the strange world he found himself in, but, undeniably, the Land tempted him. Back in his world, his illness made him an outcast, unclean, a pariah – but here, he is the reincarnation of Berek Halfhand, saviour and hero. Only the mystic power of his white gold ring can protect the Lords of Revelstone and the Land from the evil of Lord Foul, the Despiser. Foul possesses the Illearth Stone, his deadly armies hold sway, and to free himself from his prison, he will destroy the Land.

With only a small but determined band of followers, Covenant is inexorably drawn into a confrontation with evil that will decide the fate of both worlds . . .

Signed,

...Good one. The whole Thomas Covenant series bores me to tears.

Micheal Moorcock is my favorite and for fantasy with some humour try Fritz Leiber or the outrageous

Robert Aspirin.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 18:07

Signed,

Edited by Peter
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>