Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeart vs. Portnoy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Who is technically better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
70 [68.63%]
32 [31.37%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peart vs. Portnoy
    Posted: September 20 2006 at 13:21
Peart
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 19:49
Portnoy has alot of trouble with some techniques and his hand speed just isn't that impressive.

Besides, nobody beats the best.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 19:44
Originally posted by Supertwister Supertwister wrote:

I'm going to say Neil Peart, I'm no drummer but I thought Peart's solo was way more entertaining than Portnoy's on Live at Budokan which seemed to never end.

ahhahhaha...  wanna hear a drum solo from a god of drumming that will have you hitting the Jack and Coke's to deaden your senses..

Blind Faith (Ginger Baker) - Do what you like

hahahha Wink  Had to be on the heroin when he put that down.  Winwood and Clapton only barely manage to save that one.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Supertwister View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 19:38
I'm going to say Neil Peart, I'm no drummer but I thought Peart's solo was way more entertaining than Portnoy's on Live at Budokan which seemed to never end.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 19:29
Originally posted by xtopher xtopher wrote:

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

If this is such an "easy" win for Peart, then why has this thread lasted so long?  I'm not sure enough to vote, and I'm pretty sure if more people looked at this poll objectively, most of them wouldn't be sure enough either.

Vote for Peart or I'll change your forum name to "Pinky"

I can't vote! It's like choosing which one of your children should live and which should die!

Well it might be.... if I thought that highly of drummersLOL

hahhaha... pinkie .. I think you're a bit young to even start talking about children... much less having any LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 18:53
Gotta give it to the Professor.Hug
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

xtopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 02:56

If this is such an "easy" win for Peart, then why has this thread lasted so long?  I'm not sure enough to vote, and I'm pretty sure if more people looked at this poll objectively, most of them wouldn't be sure enough either.

I can't vote! It's like choosing which one of your children should live and which should die!

Well it might be.... if I thought that highly of drummersLOL
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 11:52

And they say the British are natural born democrats...

yet you still have time!
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 18:27

xtopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 18:24
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 17:24
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Interesting how the debate in this thread seems to be split 50/50 ( I vote Portnoy BTW) but Peart Is running off with the poll.

It's simple, there are more Rush fan boys than DT  fanboys! I agree withn you, Portnoy is s much better player!
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 17:12
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

Calm down, guys, there is no need to argue and remind each other of all mistakes ever made...

However, I sustain my previous opinion - the world is not going to end if someone really sends post mistaking Portnoy with Collins. It would simply have only one, correcting reply.

I think you've missed the point completely mate.

Anyway back on topic....check out the three tracks on Peart's Myspace Page to hear what all the fuss is about:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=107016624&MyToken=e513f20e-1b57-40cd-b62a-e89295f54c89
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 11:32
Calm down, guys, there is no need to argue and remind each other of all mistakes ever made...

However, I sustain my previous opinion - the world is not going to end if someone really sends post mistaking Portnoy with Collins. It would simply have only one, correcting reply.
yet you still have time!
MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 07:08
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Originally posted by MattiR MattiR wrote:

With all due respect,if you weren't in possesion of the facts then why make that post?     
There are many errors in PA music service, for instance length of songs, classification of bands (prog metal!!!!)...I think - in that situation - my error is insignificant.

I agree Matti, not everyone is as omniscient as you, Tony R and I think that MattiR had every right to post this thread bona fide, even with the limited information he possessed.

I think the aim of every discussion on this forum is also to gain new information about favorite artists from other progfans. I think that we have all liberty to post completely false thesis, which eventually would be expelled by other participants, thus learning something.

Ok, I dont really like Portnoy's drumming on Selling England By The Pound,it sounds too much like Phil Collins. The three albums he recorded with Magama contained some very poor technical performances too....

Yeah, but Peart wasn't all that great in his early days with The Monkees either.

Do you pretend stupid guys or jesters? I suppose you don't understand anything.
I commited insignificant mistake, I admit. But you're talking about big mistakes.

Indicate my 'other' big mistakes in PA forum, please.

And what about 'your' (as admins, collaborators) mistakes?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 22:13

With all due respect,if you weren't in possesion of the facts then why make that post?     
There are many errors in PA music service, for instance length of songs, classification of bands (prog metal!!!!)...I think - in that situation - my error is insignificant.

I agree Matti, not everyone is as omniscient as you, Tony R and I think that MattiR had every right to post this thread bona fide, even with the limited information he possessed.

I think the aim of every discussion on this forum is also to gain new information about favorite artists from other progfans. I think that we have all liberty to post completely false thesis, which eventually would be expelled by other participants, thus learning something.

Ok, I dont really like Portnoy's drumming on Selling England By The Pound,it sounds too much like Phil Collins. The three albums he recorded with Magama contained some very poor technical performances too....

Yeah, but Peart wasn't all that great in his early days with The Monkees either.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 21:22

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 21:12
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

for the first and only time in my PA's career ..a vote for Peart.... though I think I voted for him in some 'completely overrated prog lyricist' poll once..

Happy Birthday Neil...  consider the vote a birthday gift ahahhah

*pinches herself hard*

I can't believe it, I really can't.... You sure you're feeling well, aren't you?Wink

BTW,  I didn't remember it was Neil's birthday today.. though Geddy's is on the same day I joined PA, so there must be some meaning in it!LOL

Overrated lyricist?Angry Think again... He didn't stop at "2112", that's for sure!

don't hurt yourself hahahaha.... and as far as feeling well.....  hahahhaha....  I'm feeling great boss....

hahahhahahaha .....    I may have given up on DT but can always count on getting a rise out of Tony's elite fighting force ...  though  I didn't say he was a bad lyricist.... just not a great one... even if he's won awards in Canada for his books  (wasn't his competition one year a book of poetry by  Bob and Doug McKenzie LOL)
Silhouette View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 11:20
Neil Peart hasn't proven his skills lately, but I still think he's better than Portnoy, he just has to show it.
Silhouette

Profile @ Last.fm
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 11:01

There are many errors in PA music service, for instance length of songs, classification of bands (prog metal!!!!)...

I think - in that situation - my error is insignificant.

yet you still have time!
MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 10:48

There are many errors in PA music service, for instance length of songs, classification of bands (prog metal!!!!)...

I think - in that situation - my error is insignificant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>