Message Reverse Sort Order
Kyle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catapilla
    Posted: February 07 2008 at 23:44
Originally posted by ClassicRocker ClassicRocker wrote:

I agree with you Kyle: definitely like the first album better!Thumbs%20Up
ClassicRocker, scroll up a few posts and see the one I posted on the 31st of July. When I first started this thread months back, I preferred the s/t debut. This past summer Changes became my new favorite for a number of reasons. It requires repeat listenings, at least in my case, but the more I listened to it, the more I got out of the album. Like I said earlier in this discussion, the song "Reflections" is otherworldly, and "It Can Only Happen to Me" has one of the most passionate, underrated guitar solos of all-time. Also, I prefer Anna Meek's smooth, haunting vocals on Changes compared to the more abrasive approach on the s/t debut. Graham Wilson is a very good guitarist, very over-looked. His solos on Changes are killer. The addition of a keyboardist in Ralph Rolinson provided an almost essential texture to the music. Brian Hanson, now a member on PA, is a very active drummer, and in my opinion, has a very distinctive style that I dig. Carl Wassard is a solid bassist, and adds to the creative fire. Let's not forget about Robert Calvert and his spacey sax playing on the opening song, and his beautiful playing on the closer. I think the Changes line-up was better from a technical stand-point, and even more unique otherwise. Also, the production values are of higher quality, especially when comparing this album to the debut.

Sorry for the big rant, but the whole time I've been a member of this site, I've been trying to get people to give Catapilla a spin. In the past year or so, I've become quite a big fan, and I've played the two albums to all my friends countless times. I also turned my Dad their way, since he's a Prog rock fan as well. It is just way too cool that a member of the group has posted here. This group is among my musical heroes, and I'm not just saying that for the hell of it!
Kyle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 22:56
Life is crazy! In the midst of trying to gather more information on this group, a Catapilla member joins in on the discussion!! Wow, this is definitely awesome! I've been trying for so long to hear from an actual member of the group. Brian, please check your private messenging inbox.
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 22:08
I agree with you Kyle: definitely like the first album better!Thumbs%20Up
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 21:58
Originally posted by artartart artartart wrote:

Hi
Just discovered this website. I was the drummer on "Changes", the 2nd album - and I'd just like to say it's good to see that people are still discovering and enjoying the music after all this time!
Regards
Brian

Wow, hi. =)

I have always wondered about how it must feel to a musician, to see enthusiasts writing about them and their work...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 15:20
Originally posted by Tetragon Tetragon wrote:

Hi all new here
Please note that Anna's sister Jo(Lady Jo) is the vocalist on Julian Jay Savarin's 'waiters on the dance' LP...Everyone should have this album in there collection.A tad better than Julian's first effort (Julian's treatment 'A time before this') Jo's not on that album but an Australian singer called Kathy Purden...

Actually Jo Meek was the original singer with Catapilla before handing over to Anna.

Please note that Catapilla Sax man Rob Calvert has nothing to do with Hawkwinds Rob...Also original drummer Malc Frith never toured with the band..

but he is the Robert Calvert who plays saxophone on most Mother Gong albums, except for "Fairy Tales" and the "Robot Woman" trilogy

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
artartart View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 14:59
Hi
Just discovered this website. I was the drummer on "Changes", the 2nd album - and I'd just like to say it's good to see that people are still discovering and enjoying the music after all this time!
Regards
Brian
Tetragon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 17:17
Hi all new here
Please note that Anna's sister Jo(Lady Jo) is the vocalist on Julian Jay Savarin's 'waiters on the dance' LP...Everyone should have this album in there collection.A tad better than Julian's first effort (Julian's treatment 'A time before this') Jo's not on that album but an Australian singer called Kathy Purden...

Actually Jo Meek was the original singer with Catapilla before handing over to Anna.

Please note that Catapilla Sax man Rob Calvert has nothing to do with Hawkwinds Rob...Also original drummer Malc Frith never toured with the band..

Edited by Tetragon - August 02 2007 at 17:18
Kyle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 16:42
Fassbinder , the same thing happened to me. For the longest time I liked their debut more, but  on about the 7th listen to "Changes" I completely changed my mind. The song "Reflections" was not made on this planet, and the closer to the album, "It can only Happen to Me" is just pure beauty and melancholy mixed into one. You'd be hard-pressed to find sax work more stunning that what's layed down in that song. It still boggles my mind that this group isn't more acclaimed on this site. "Changes" may very well be the most underrated masterpiece in Prog history for me. I encourage all to get out and discover Catapilla!!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 04:34
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Are they on the site?

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 00:42
Are they on the site?
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 20:17
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Fassbinder Fassbinder wrote:

Finally I've managed to find their second album, fortunately.

Unfortunately, I enjoyed it much less than the debut album, for some reasons...

Give it nother shot! I find them both pretty equal.

Committed Approve  Just re-listened to both of them.

Now I seriously wonder where my ears have been and what kind of a blackout has passed over me at the first listening... Confused

Because Changes is not less enjoyable than Catapilla, at least... if not even more.

Anyway, both albums are superb. The debut is somewhat rawer (or how do you say it in English?), the second one seems to be a little bit richer musically.

Utmost enjoyment Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up

Edited by Fassbinder - July 26 2007 at 20:19
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 05:15
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

not everyone will like the vocals of Anna Meek (who sounds like a female version of Peter Hammill on acid). but I personally really like their two albums (and prefer the first, because Meek sounds wilder on it)

Well Meek is in the Janita Haan, Sonja Christinson register (a belter that can't control the full spectrum of her voice) , but I find her singing adequate (but no more) for Catapilla.

Originally posted by Fassbinder Fassbinder wrote:

Give it nother shot! I find them both pretty equal.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 18:45

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 04:02
Originally posted by Kyle Kyle wrote:

Well over the months I've became an even bigger fan of this group. I also now prefer their second album to their s/t debut. The album "Changes" is not only much better produced, but it really does sound out of this world. I believe this group and their second album are among the most underrated Prog EVER.

Since someone mentioned they sound like Gong: Their sax-player Robert Calvert (not to be confused with the Hawkwind singer of the same name) later played with the Gong spin-off Mother Gong.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Kyle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 21:40
Well over the months I've became an even bigger fan of this group. I also now prefer their second album to their s/t debut. The album "Changes" is not only much better produced, but it really does sound out of this world. I believe this group and their second album are among the most underrated Prog EVER.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 10:19
not everyone will like the vocals of Anna Meek (who sounds like a female version of Peter Hammill on acid). but I personally really like their two albums (and prefer the first, because Meek sounds wilder on it)

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
chrisk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 17:38

180 gram vinyl reissue was available from Arkarma in Italy - Don't know if it's still in their catalogue

chrisk
Politician View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 14:43
A truly remarkable band. I've often described Anna Meek as "the first punk vocalist": her singing and lyrics on the first album in particular uncannily presage Johnny Rotten and the nihilistic "no future" ethos of the first generation punk bands.
A Guy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 13:19
I've heard of them before I think, but I haven't heard their albums. :(
My website
Signatures are for people who can think of anything to put in their signatures.
kingdhansak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 11:12

Great group on Vertigo, not to everyone's taste though. I do know a chap who lives in London who saw this band live in 1972. However this was in a pub, so its unlikely they ever made it to the USA.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>