Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSabbath, Zeppelin of Purple?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Sabbath, Zeppelin of Purple?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [26.17%]
47 [43.93%]
32 [29.91%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sabbath, Zeppelin of Purple?
    Posted: June 11 2008 at 15:17

this order:

Studio albums

Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
deep Purple

as a live band
led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2008 at 07:59
Sabbath. I never liked Zeppelin that much and Purple don't have as many good albums as the Sabs.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Jack-in-the-Green View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 05:13
Zeppelin indeed. Wink
Sorry if i have spelling mistakes, english is not my mother tongue.

http://www.last.fm/user/grumfossil
PROGMONSTER2008 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 19:31
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

i saw Purple on the Stormbringer  tour at Wembley arena and i have to say there were terrible Coverdale got so pissed of he left the stage in a huff and Glen Hughes took over the vocals for most of the rest of the Gig  and he did a far better Job to,  i haven't   listen to Come taste  the Band for many many yearsso maybe i should listen again with new ears, i do Remember it being  rather  Funky   , i cant be doing with Purple  with Tommy Bolin   i have Last Concert in Japan on vinyl   not a good album at all, Wild Dogs Terrible song

Sorry to sound agressive but I love my Purple with Coverdale. So I really care a damn the concerts, the studio albums are awsome, IMO. Also the live album with Tommy Bolin is really good.

Stormbringer is very good and Come taste the band not far behind
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 19:22

i saw Purple on the Stormbringer  tour at Wembley arena and i have to say there were terrible Coverdale got so pissed of he left the stage in a huff and Glen Hughes took over the vocals for most of the rest of the Gig  and he did a far better Job to,  i haven't   listen to Come taste  the Band for many many yearsso maybe i should listen again with new ears, i do Remember it being  rather  Funky   , i cant be doing with Purple  with Tommy Bolin   i have Last Concert in Japan on vinyl   not a good album at all, Wild Dogs Terrible song

Sorry to sound agressive but I love my Purple with Coverdale. So I really care a damn the concerts, the studio albums are awsome, IMO. Also the live album with Tommy Bolin is really good.
PROGMONSTER2008 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 19:07
Deep Purple for me. They were mildly progressive. They have plenty of jazz and classical influences in their music. Mainly classical keys and jazz influences in the guitar and drums. Gillan, Evans and Coverdale mainly had pretty good voices during early purple. There are at least 4 high quality songs on each of the following remasters with bonus tracks:

Machinehead
Fireball
Stormbringer
Come taste the band
Book of taliesyn
In Rock-Hallejah included

Zeppelin probably have 2 albums with 4 high quality songs. Alot of their heavy songs don't sound proggy to me. They just sound stale to me. There's not many jazz or classical influences in alot of their heavy songs. I love alot of their acoustics and some heavy songs. But half of their catalogue is based on American rock n roll. That's why I don't rate Zeps as good as Purple. I'm not too keen on Plants voice either

Led Zeppelin 3
Houses of the holy

I prefer Sabbath over Zeppelin also. They have jazz influences in some of their music. They have cooler riffs than page and I prefer Ozzys voice. Purple and Sabbath are definately more prog than Zeps when it comes to the heavy stuff. Their melodies are more interesting and more English. They are more fun to listen to because they have alot more jazz in their upbringings. Zeppelin are more of a hard rock band and were better off being born in America :D. Here are the Sabbath remasters that have at least 4 high quality songs:

Paranoid
Master of reality
Sabbath bloody Sabbath
moderan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 17:30
If Purple had stayed with MK II that would have done it for me. Sabbath wins because their first 5 spent more time on my turntable than the others' first five. Zep is too overplayed and imo their best doesn't approach the other's best-let's say (for sake of argument) Into the Void versus Child in Time versus Kashmir.
Purple in their day were easily the best live band of the three, probably still are.
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self." - Cyril Connolly
modspace
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 21:30
i saw Purple on the Stormbringer  tour at Wembley arena and i have to say there were terrible
Coverdale got so pissed of he left the stage in a huff and Glen Hughes took over the vocals for most of the rest of the Gig  and he did a far better Job to,  i haven't   listen to Come taste  the Band for many many years
so maybe i should listen again with new ears, i do Remember it being  rather  Funky   , i cant be doing with Purple  with Tommy Bolin   i have Last Concert in Japan on vinyl   not a good album at all, Wild Dogs Terrible song
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 21:17

Sabbath for me there first 4 albums are superb also love Deep Purple early years and the Classic line up,Burn ent bad album ether but was all down hill after that , as to Zeppelin most over rated over Hyped Band of all time yeah they were good but not that good again the first 4 albums were good but after that it was all overblown Tripe

For me Deep Purple decayed of awsome song-writing after Come Taste The Band, since you're new, somehow, you'll know I'm a ULTRA fan of Deep Purple, and I love Coverdale-Hughes era, since Come Taste The Band was my first Deep Purple album. Then of that Strombringer, that I do LOVE. And well I LOVE all of their albums since 1968 up to 1976. Then I LIKE some albums of the 90's and 00's.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 21:08
Sabbath for me there first 4 albums are superb  also love  Deep Purple early years and  the Classic line up,
Burn ent bad album  ether but was all down hill after that , as to Zeppelin most over rated over Hyped Band of all time yeah they were good but not that good again the first 4 albums were good but after that it was all overblown Tripe 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 21:04
Too many good memories with Zep.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 20:38
This has to be the oldest running poll in music (outside of Bach, Beethoven or Mozart) . I remember the battle lines clearly in the early 70s" : Gillan vs Plant vs Ozzy , Blackmore vs Page vs Iommi , Bonham vs Paice vs Ward etc.... It was endless gnagnagna "My guitar is bigger than yours":  Smoke on the Paranoid Ocean Water , I say.
Overall, the keyboard rules Mr Lord ! Deep wins slightly ahead of the monster Bonham's band.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Citizen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 19:18

Out of those three, Purple. But the real answer is Blue Öyster Cult.

This is my signature.
Amazing, isn't it?
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 18:54
Zeppelin by a country mile.

Sabbath's first four albums are excellent, but after that the law of diminishing returns set in very fast.

As for Purple, they had their moments but I can't think of any of their albums that I'd rescue from a burning building.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 18:47
Hmmm, a purple sabbath zeppelin?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 12:00
Sabbath for me as I only like Deep Purple a bit and I think Led Zep are crap.  
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 10:12
Originally posted by Gentlegiantprog Gentlegiantprog wrote:

Whole career - led zep, first 8 albums - sabbath

I agree
Relayer09 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 08:55
Zep, although this isn't really a prog poll.
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 07:17
My vote goes to Led Zeppelin, although I would have gone for Deep Purple if they'd called it a day after 'Who Do We Think We Are'.
arnoldlayne View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 05:16
No contest, I thought to myself, Zep all the way.

Think I'll stick to that, although I should point out I've only got 7 Sabbath albums and 3 of those are post Ozzy, and as far as Purple are concerned I think I only have 4, so it's hard to compare since I have the full set of Zep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>