Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a guitar
    Posted: March 03 2009 at 02:19
^ you can always take less of a valve, but never more, there is no minumum wattage Wink - but an EL34 would have been an (expensive) overkill - well spotted.
What?
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 19:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

EL34 make more sense - they could have ganged up several 12Ax7's but it's not worth the effort due to reduced reliability, though many heads use 12Ax7 i/p stage and MOSFET o/p stage.

There's no way Trademark's H&K preamp would have been sporting an EL34 (or a 6L6 for that matter)
About the minimum amount of power a single EL34 will make is generally about 20 watts.
If you look around in guitar shops/guitar catalogues etc you'll see those little 5 watt tube amps are typically loaded with a single EL84 or 6V6, since those can go down to about 5 watts, in a class A configuration much of the time too.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 19:47
Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

Hughes   & Kettner used to make a little tube preamp (used a 12Ax7 I think) that had an output of around 5w when hooked directly to a speaker cab.  I practiced through mine a lot.  Don't know if you could get this onto battery current though.  I suspect not unless you raid the folks' car.

It would have had to have had a built in power amp somewhere down the line.
5 watts suggest it would have used a single EL84 or 6V6 power tube somewhere in there.
As for the preamp tube, the only 3 that spring to mind immediately are 12AT7s, 12AU7s and of course, the 12AX7, the AX7 being the highest gain preamp tube of the bunch.
You don't recall the exact name of the H&K preamp you used do you?

Edit: nevermind, didn't see the extra posts when I posted mineEmbarrassed

Edited by HughesJB4 - March 02 2009 at 19:48
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 16:13
EL34 make more sense - they could have ganged up several 12Ax7's but it's not worth the effort due to reduced reliability, though many heads use 12Ax7 i/p stage and MOSFET o/p stage.
What?
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 16:07
Cant recall the model number, but I believe it was called the "Bluesmaster" or Crunchmaster".  It was a 1/2 rack unit with the H&K Red Cab circuitry for cabinet simulation (mid eighties style).  Can't help you on the tubes.  It may have another tube for power output (EL34 maybe?), I don't remember.  I haven't seen one in close to 15 years since I got rid of mine.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 16:06
Originally posted by N Ellingworth N Ellingworth wrote:

opps, yeah I did mean 384 (I'm was a little preoccupied with sourcing heatsinks at the time)

Yeah I just noticed that myself PP3 batteries really aren't suitable for this project unless I limit myself to a really low power chip like the LM386, which is going to be very disappointing.
The LM384 will be fine - just plan for 2.5W, it's only 3dB down from 5W and you'll hardly notice the difference - the reduced current will improve battery life and big decoupling caps will source all the current you'll need for transients giving you a pretty good peak power capability - just don't expect to sustain it for any length of time. Also, shop around for batteries - they don't all have the same ratings.

Not going overboard on the LEDs will also help LOL

Edited by Dean - March 02 2009 at 16:08
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 15:57
Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

Hughes   & Kettner used to make a little tube preamp (used a 12Ax7 I think) that had an output of around 5w when hooked directly to a speaker cab.  I practiced through mine a lot.  Don't know if you could get this onto battery current though.  I suspect not unless you raid the folks' car.
9V PP3 bateries would struggle to power the heaters, let alone supply enough power to juice-up the amp itself LOL - an inverter needed to convert 9V to 300V would be pretty inefficient, reducing battery life further.

I'd be curious to know the H&K model number - I'd love to know how they got 5W out of a 1W valve.
What?
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 15:29
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 14:38
opps, yeah I did mean 384 (I'm was a little preoccupied with sourcing heatsinks at the time)

Yeah I just noticed that myself PP3 batteries really aren't suitable for this project unless I limit myself to a really low power chip like the LM386, which is going to be very disappointing.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 14:24

thanks mate.

^ good luck with that, it sounds like a good project.

(I think your going to struggle to get 5Wrms from 9V batteries but let us know how you get on)

Well I've just stumbled upon the LM385, a power amp chip that produces 5w at 22v, since I'll be running at 18v it'll be slightly less but still fairly close. Big smile
Do you mean LM384?

Power will drop to just over 3W @ 18V (at 10% THD!) - one very minor problem is going to be current vs. battery life - 3W into 8R is 0.6A - and a PP3 battery will last about 30 minutes (and get warm, which will reduce its efficiency) - but you won't be running at full power continuously - so that shouldn't be a major issue. Still looking good though Thumbs Up 
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 14:00
thanks mate.

(I think your going to struggle to get 5Wrms from 9V batteries but let us know how you get on)

Well I've just stumbled upon the LM385, a power amp chip that produces 5w at 22v, since I'll be running at 18v it'll be slightly less but still fairly close. Big smile
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 01:26

ClapClapClap  well done Nick it looks amazing!

Prog Archives Tour Van
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 12:35
that would be the peak power, I reckon that the average will be closer to 2.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 12:03

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:05
It's a warm up for my final year electronics project, we've been given free reign to design and build something. anything goes as long as we can finish it in 12 weeks (+3 weeks over easter). I'm currently coming to the end of the design process.

As it stands the amp will require 9 or 18 volts from batteries this will be determined by the type of operational amplifiers I use. the power amp section will be fairly standard and should kick out just under 5 watts RMS or just over 5 watts peak to peak to an 8 ohm speaker.

It's the pre amp that's taken most of my time to develop, it starts with a unity gain amplifier which simply acts as a small current booster which will make working with the signal a little easier. Then there is the EQ section which has taken ages to develop, the EQ uses the standard Baxandall style tone stack as used by the likes of Fender and Marshall, however it is in fact 2 EQs in one as I will be building both Fender and Marshall style EQs (modified slighty to suit my intended control layout) and the design will allow blending between the 2 EQs giving access to all sorts of mid atlantic tones. Wink

After the EQ I've got a small fixed gain amp that will take the voltage up to the level required by the power amp. 

Doesn't sound like much but for a 15 week period it's a lot of work particularly since I've got to build a prototype.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 10:49

... and a rather demanding project have got in the way (designing a battery powered guitar amp).
prey tell... Big smile

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 10:47
Just spotted this post, this will be my first post for ages.

The wilkinson is a great trem, it's say it's really just an alternative to the standard Fender 2 point trem that needs a different rout ,so no floyd rose style whammies to be had. If you really a wilkinson trem a new one has been released that will fit any guitar with a fender 2 point trem. Although it is really expensive, but that's inevitable for a brand new design that fixes all the little niggles with the original. link

tbh the best trem of this type that I've used is the one fitted to recent Burns reissues, pity that their guitar aren't right for my playing style though.

Amazingly I've still not had time to set the guitar up properly, a mix of exams and a rather demanding project have got in the way (designing a battery powered guitar amp).
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 03:29

I've finished it, or rather I finished it yesterday and never got round to posting about it. Big smile

Still not got it properly set up but it sounds great and the raw Pau Ferro neck is simply incredible, if any of you get a chance to play a raw neck go for it.

Hehe, can't believe I missed this post the first time aroundConfused
Looks good dude, nice stuff.

How's the trem working for you?
Can you compare it to a Fender 6 screw or 2 point trem for performance to give me an idea of how well it works?
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 16:28
My brother is learning to build guitars at a college nearby. He's working on his second and third guitar at the moment, but his first one was made all with hand tools! It's acoustic guitars by the way. He said he'd get around to making me a bass if I got him money for the cost of the materials.

himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 16:20

Yeah man, I got it done right, my guitar has been perfect for years, just a freaky moment.  By the way, is that YOUR Moog in your picture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>