Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you support universal healthcare?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Poll Question: Do you support universal healthcare?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
61 [73.49%]
18 [21.69%]
4 [4.82%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
krishl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you support universal healthcare?
    Posted: December 07 2010 at 16:27
No.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 21:46
Welcome to the intellectual elite. Or perhaps old fools who think about things like civic virtue.

Totally support low bling political ads where the actual candidates have to speak for themselves.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 21:40
Agreed. 

I'm tired of the noise.  And the tv commercials are just brutal right now.  Attack ads should be banned.  All political ads should be the same.  Candidate sitting at a table with one camera on them, and they get to talk about their ideas.  That's it.  No other effects or dramatic announcers or anything allowed other than the candidate speaking to the camera.  LOL

If all they could do is speak, maybe they'd actually say something.  Big smile

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 21:32
No problem, it's nice to talk about the actual issues involved (delivering the care that actually needed and how to pay for it) rather than getting sidetracked.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 21:29
I have the hunch there are a lot of good ideas out there that could be tried.  And almost everyone seems to hate the model that we're going to try.  I wish this thing could have worked out differently.

Thanks Jay for thoughts, I always wondered if this approach could work and its nice to get some feedback from someone in the field.  Smile

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 21:21
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Sure, you could make the deductible amount slide based on a person's income.  But I still think even the poorest should have to start out of pocket, to encourage wellness, and because we all have to be part of the solution.  If they can't afford their base deductible, which in my opinion should go no lower than $2500, they would NOT be denied care, but would be expected to make minimal payments going forward to cover their part of the bargain. 

I'd love to try something like this, which solves the economic devastation issue but still requires the individual to contribute a reasonable amount for what they use in exchange for the safety net. 

Has anyone in Government suggested anything like this,  combining single payer with initial patient deductible?

Yes this has been on the table. No one has the stones because of inertia to put it nicely or too many superfluous bureaucrats losing their jobs to be not so nice. 

I was just thinking about someone on medicare or even public aid. I would actually advocate increasing their (government provided) income by their deductible, but then they have to pay that first amount (keep it at $2500 or $5k or whatever). But still, they as the direct consumer have to choose "Do I want to go to the ER because I'm too lazy to make a basic appointment or do I want that money in my pocket?"

Even with this, taking claims out of the transaction for all the small stuff would save massive amounts of money in overhead. Simply pay at the time of service and that's it. 

Medicine actually used to look alot more like this. 

Edited by Negoba - September 30 2010 at 21:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 21:14
Sure, you could make the deductible amount slide based on a person's income.  But I still think even the poorest should have to start out of pocket, to encourage wellness, and because we all have to be part of the solution.  If they can't afford their base deductible, which in my opinion should go no lower than $2500, they would NOT be denied care, but would be expected to make minimal payments going forward to cover their part of the bargain. 

I'd love to try something like this, which solves the economic devastation issue but still requires the individual to contribute a reasonable amount for what they use in exchange for the safety net. 

Has anyone in Government suggested anything like this,  combining single payer with initial patient deductible?

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 21:05
It would make a huge difference. The costs you target are definitely part of the problem. 

One of my biggest beefs with insurance in general is that the person receiving the service and the one paying are not the same person. Having some choice to say "yeah that service is worth $500 to me personally" would put economic pressure our system needs in all sorts of ways.

Some other care I think the state should pay for because it's cheaper to do it preventatively than deal with the actual diseases: Immunizations, prenatal care, proven cancer screenings like mammograms and pap smears (probably colonoscopies too). 

The $5k number would of course be an issue and I would advocate a sliding scale depending on a few different items.

ed. Your plan doesn't address all the problems but it would be a big step forward IMO.

Edited by Negoba - September 30 2010 at 21:06
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 20:48
Jay, would excluding that first $5K make the price tag much more possible than the outlays for the coming reform?

Or, would that not really make much difference because the over $5k is really where the vast percentage of the expenditure is?

Any idea?

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 20:42
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I wonder if it would work to have HSA for individuals to cover their own base yearly deductible of say, $5K, with single-payer protection for catastrophic care....or anything above the deductible.  That way patient is responsible for something, thus has incentive to be healthy and use care judiciously, but everyone has a safety net against the nightmare of a major illness.....no one loses their home or savings account to an illness.

People who want to run to the Doc for every little sniffle will have to flip the bill.....but no one ever has to worry about losing everything to cancer. 

Private profit insurance can get out of health care and find other ways to screw us, and taxes need only be expended for actual cost of care to those who rack up more than $5 K per year in expenses.  Substantial yes, but much less than single payer for EVERY single cent of care.  

Ready to get roasted from both sidesLOL

I would clappy that plan. Better than the current Democrat "reform" bill.

There are some modifiers I'd add, but using this as the basis of our health care system would leave me very happy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 19:35
I wonder if it would work to have HSA for individuals to cover their own base yearly deductible of say, $5K, with single-payer protection for catastrophic care....or anything above the deductible.  That way patient is responsible for something, thus has incentive to be healthy and use care judiciously, but everyone has a safety net against the nightmare of a major illness.....no one loses their home or savings account to an illness.

People who want to run to the Doc for every little sniffle will have to flip the bill.....but no one ever has to worry about losing everything to cancer. 

Private profit insurance can get out of health care and find other ways to screw us, and taxes need only be expended for actual cost of care to those who rack up more than $5 K per year in expenses.  Substantial yes, but much less than single payer for EVERY single cent of care.  

Ready to get roasted from both sidesLOL

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 18:14
Originally posted by GY!BE GY!BE wrote:

I don't because II think there's always a hidden agenda, especially in a capitalist system and a money based economy.

A money based economy? As opposed to what, exactly?
GY!BE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 17:10
I don't because II think there's always a hidden agenda, especially in a capitalist system and a money based economy.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 04:16
The bottom line from a healthcare worker. We can whine all we want about taxes, but the fact is that the U.S. has a large and growing population of uninsured working poor. Obviously they cannot afford to pay out of pocket for catastrophic injury/illness. Doctors are bound by Hippocratic oath to care for people in those situations, regardless of whether they can pay for it or not. Either doctors and healthcare staff does the work for free, or some method of providing payment publicly must be in place. Right now, the associated states (using the word 'united' is an utter farce at this point) have a terribly inadequate system to compensate in these cases...which is why safety net hospitals across the country are going under. In other words, universal healthcare is a fact of life but nobody wants to call it that so it doesn't get fixed to a point where it works and hospitals can stay open.

So what's it going to be? Change the rules of engagement? No more Hippocratic oath. You're sick and poor so you have to die now?

And you want to know what private insurance gets you now? I work in an oncology department for which the insurance that covers us will not even pay for the oncologists we work with. Its pure fantasy to think that 'for profit' insurers are going to get us any kind of fix for the current crisis. They make their money by NOT PAYING! There are a lot of people on this board, I am sure more than a couple have some idea what the out of pocket is for Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia for just the workup and induction chemo. Not counting the months of support and maintenance therapy. 

Regardless of which side of the fantasy pitch you are on, if you are in the U.S., DO NOT GET SICK!   
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 14:07

As far as I know, corporations are not taxed on income from other countries until they bring that money into the US, then it falls under normal tax rules. Wikipedia says for personal income the US will deduct the amount of the tax you already paid to the foreign country so you're not being doubly taxed.

if you own a sodastream i hate you
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 12:46
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

BTW (as an aside) ain't americans taxed on all their global income by the US government?

Good question. I'm no expert, but I think that individuals pay income taxes on all their global income, but corporate income tax only applies to money earned domestically. I might be wrong, though.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 12:44
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

It all falls down to consent. You held the view that you haven't given your consent. i have always agree with the social contract view. You have given it. 

Also, another thing: the only way to eliminate taxes is to eliminate all kinds of services altogether. If you have those services, you have to pay for them. You pay through taxes (like roads, etc). 

You can't give consent unknowingly. It goes against the definition of consent. That's why we have all these date rape cases where the girl gets super drunk and the guy is like "but she gave consent" and the judge is like "uh uh, you can't give consent if you're super drunk." If I believe that I have not given consent, I have not given consent, by definition.

Also, I am happy to pay for services that I use. I pay for the food I eat, the clothes I wear and the TV I watch. Why would eliminating taxes force me to give up these things? I would pay for roads I walked on (I don't have a car), or that were used to ship in the goods I buy. Why are taxes necessary for me to pay for these things?

Of course I'm talking about services provided by the government. 

In a different issue, do you think consumption taxes are better? Maybe you "agree" to pay them when you agree to buy something? Or are they as bad as income taxes? 

Yes, I much prefer consumption taxes, because you can choose how much you want to pay based on how much you consume. Paying too much in taxes? Consume less! Much, much better. Clap

That sounds more reasonable... 

Let's find a way to fund universal healthcare with consumption taxes then... Tongue

You do realize universal health care here would raise the cost of health care tremendously, don't you?  I thought you said you wanted lower costs.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 12:42

It all falls down to consent. You held the view that you haven't given your consent. i have always agree with the social contract view. You have given it. 

Also, another thing: the only way to eliminate taxes is to eliminate all kinds of services altogether. If you have those services, you have to pay for them. You pay through taxes (like roads, etc). 

You can't give consent unknowingly. It goes against the definition of consent. That's why we have all these date rape cases where the girl gets super drunk and the guy is like "but she gave consent" and the judge is like "uh uh, you can't give consent if you're super drunk." If I believe that I have not given consent, I have not given consent, by definition.

Also, I am happy to pay for services that I use. I pay for the food I eat, the clothes I wear and the TV I watch. Why would eliminating taxes force me to give up these things? I would pay for roads I walked on (I don't have a car), or that were used to ship in the goods I buy. Why are taxes necessary for me to pay for these things?

In a different issue, do you think consumption taxes are better? Maybe you "agree" to pay them when you agree to buy something? Or are they as bad as income taxes? 

Yes, I much prefer consumption taxes, because you can choose how much you want to pay based on how much you consume. Paying too much in taxes? Consume less! Much, much better. Clap

That sounds more reasonable... 

Let's find a way to fund universal healthcare with consumption taxes then... Tongue
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 12:41

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I'm still waiting for that explanation of why taxes aren't theft. You keep saying why you think taxes are justified, but that's not the question I asked. You said they are not theft because 1) everyone does it and 2) our elected officials fail to discontinue them.

Then Rob pointed out that everyone committing a crime does not make it not a crime (to which you seemed to agree) and then you admitted that elected officials are in fact capable of committing injustice even though we voted for them. So I still have no idea where you idea that taxes are not theft comes from.

All property derives from mostly ill-gotten gains. Certainly in the past (and today) people acquired property and means of production by less than holy means. Taxes are only just to compensate for that. 

Wealth cannot be acquired without the structure of a society. You don't acquire it by yourself. You acquire it thanks also to the structure and to other people's contributions. Society as a whole is then justified to collect a part of it in the benefit of everybody. 

Although I wouldn't go this far re 'ill gotten gains' this is exactly what my (admittedly w**kyEmbarrassed) little caveman story was banging on about in the Libertarian Friends thread. To make any tangible good with which you can then trade with others and create wealth, you need to use a social context (customers) and natural resources (like coal in my pathetic example)
The questions the story was designed to ask was:
who owns natural resources?
Answer: everyone
How do you compensate those people who have had their property appropriated in the production of goods?
Answer (same as The T's): a tax system

Believe it or not I actually agree with Ayn Rand when she states an individual's ability, ingenuity or imagination in transforming natural resource to create goods should be rewarded with wealth (I have no problem with that) But as The T points out, those raw materials in the oceans, air and earth etc belong to the citizens of earth (dammit)

But I promise no more caveman stories (honest) Wink

That's the first well reasoned argument I've ever seen you make. Wink That's what I'm looking for, T. An actual explanation of your views, not just "GREED IS BAD, OMG!!!"

That being said, I don't agree that natural resources are everyone's property. If that were the case, then I should be compensated for all the companies in China that use natural resources, not just American ones. I take it, Lemming, that you support a global tax system, rather than a series of national ones?

A cunning objection but I did walk into the trap certainly. Given the logistics of exchange rates and administrative burdens this would (as you know full well) be unworkable from a practical point of view. However I don't think it necessarily follows that a tax aimed at addressing a property rights issue that at the outset, was a localised phenomenon, need aspire to parity at a global level.

BTW (as an aside) ain't americans taxed on all their global income by the US government?
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 12:40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>