Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog's perception in different countries
    Posted: October 18 2010 at 12:51
In Greece not many people are into Prog.  Most of the younger generation listen to pop, hiphop, rap, and this awful "Skyladika," a Greek invention, a kind of pop music sung by young male singers with boyish faces which girls aged 13 or 14 go crazy about... yuck.  The older generation (over 40) are into Greek "ethno" music or folk music,  a genre on its own, known as  "rembetika," or "laika"

A typical conversation on the subject goes like this:

-What music are you interested in?
- Prog rock.
-What???
-Progressive rock.
-What's that?
-music like Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, Marillion, Jethro Tull...
-Oh, I've heard of Pink Floyd.

That just about sums it up!
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk
sarge View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 23:57
A cafe/pub venue called 'Higherground' in Adelaide, Australia. Some full on fusion heads.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 18:37
Hi,

In the early days of the 70's, a lot of this stuff was called "ART ROCK" ... and I usually like to joke that too many folks here don't like to use the word "art" ... I guess it makes them feel inferior. I keep telling them that only the dust under their feet is inferior, but they don't believe me! Picasso is still sh*t for Phish and Metal lovers!.... Wink  Rawks
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 18:30
Well all the guitar teachers in my city are huge DT fans but other than that...
Jinura View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 18:22
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

In Denmark prog doesn't exist unless you want to severely criticize some music. It's very looked down upon by the music critics, music enthusiasts, record shop owners etc. The good prog bands are just not referred to as prog. 

Not quite my experience.
There's this record shop where i buy most of my vinyls. The guy that owns it is this 50+ guy that mostly listens to metal ( black-death metal that is ) which is pretty awesome. I asked him about King Crimson, thinking he would dismiss it and say he never heard of it. Asked him if he had some prog rock in particular, and dug out "Script for a Jester's Tear" by Marillion out. This came as a bit of a surprise seeing as most people don't even know what the term means.

But I think I've seen it mentioned a total of one time in the press, and that was when talking about Porcupine Tree.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 18:04
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I am also a teacher and find that 0% of students have an existing interest in or knowledge of prog, but a handful become interested if I talk about it or play them some.

You have to catch them "unawares" of what you are playing ... and in fact, you should create music exercises .. play something and have the class write an essay, or paper, on what qualities in music you have heard in this piece.

If you have listed in the past 5 for Beethoven or 4 for Mozart, you will find these in a lot of "progressive" music ... so stop showing them that it is progressive music, have them search the music for something else. ... and one day one of the kids will go ... that's far out ... who and what is that? And the other kids will tinkle their ears too!

I think that we tend to throw "prog" or "progressive" down people's throats ... and just like the music found us, it also has to find these other people. And shoving brocolli down the kid's throat is going to get your kids saying ... I hate that rabbit food! But if you make some really fancy brocolli rolls, and have 3 sauces and you are dipping them, the kid will want to try ... and you have to say ... you don't like brocolli or this kind of stuff ... and the discussion is over ... the kid will now actually pay attention to some brocolli!

You just have to stop being pushy like so many of us ... think of how you can surprise the kid ... and it will get their attention ... unless they come in with the iPod earbuds on ... that's gonna be another story ... and a serious one by the time they get to classes and university ... it's called D's and F's ... ! ... and you pay for it!

Edited by moshkito - October 15 2010 at 18:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 17:09
I go to a music school and there are quite a few who appreciate Progressive Rock music. Both teachers and students. Lalle Larsson has taught  at the school, sadly not while I've been attending.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 15:35
Prog as a little place in my country, and i think it's reflecting the same state all over the world, but the community that embrace prog music is strong and prefer that prog remains a music genre that a minority like. It's like our litte secret that we share mostly with people on the web, fortunately.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 15:32
Yeah, as I said, they're only into prog because I introduced them to it.  And this "group of friends that listens to prog"  is really two people, with a third who is somewhat interested.  I can't imagine how happy I'd be if someone I didn't know just started talking to me about Hawkwind, Camel, Gong, or something else I'm really into.  I'd go crazy and talk their ears off.

Edited by himtroy - October 15 2010 at 15:34
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 15:29
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

And since people are bringing up age, my friends that are into it are all 18, and they have been into it since 16 or 17.  Myself, I've been into prog since 15 or 16, and was very into a lot of psychedelic music that bordered on prog for as long as I can remember.  

When I was in my teens, I had no "peers" that were into prog.  But you never know, they might just get bored and want to explore more.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 15:21
Other than at concerts like Zappa Plays Zappa, Rhythm Devils, and Umphrey's Mcgee, I've never met anyone in real life who listens to any psych/prog rock.  With the exception of a few close friends who have gotten most of it from me, and definitely got into it because of me.  All of my friends play instruments, which seems to lend them to being more prone to enjoying prog.

It's really a shame because a lot of the time I show people good prog albums and they think it's really interesting,  it just doesn't get around.  And people don't have the attention span most of the time....

And since people are bringing up age, my friends that are into it are all 18, and they have been into it since 16 or 17.  Myself, I've been into prog since 15 or 16, and was very into a lot of psychedelic music that bordered on prog for as long as I can remember.  

And I don't consider people who have listened to DSOTM or The Wall prog fans very much.  Both are pretty commercial examples of prog, and I often feel like I find people that aren't really into Floyd but have just heard a few popular songs.   Either way, I don't really care about Pink Floyd that much anymore.   However, if somebody starts talking to be about Piper at the Gates of Dawn, that'd be a step up.

Edited by himtroy - October 15 2010 at 15:26
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 15:20
My bad, double post.

Edited by himtroy - October 15 2010 at 15:22
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 12:54
Originally posted by Makntak Makntak wrote:

Clearly there is a substantial world market for Prog but I suspect most of us are in our bedrooms, living rooms etc listening on our own with no-one to talk to about the music we like.  It seems that places lie PA and the many other Prog forums are the only place to vent the feelings inspired by the music we love.

I live in London and I know not one single person who has any interest in Prog, in fact the question I get asked most after I tell people what kind of music I like is, "Prog?! What's that?"  I teach at a drama school and I often use music in my sessions and I often choose something proggy, depending on my purposes.  What's really interesting is the way that the students' ears prick up with genuine interest in what I've been playing them.  I've got one guy into Ayreon (well one album, anyway) and I've been burning some stuff for another guy who, like me, is in his forties but hasn't listened to anything since 1979, it would seem.  He's hugely excited by a lot of the stuff I've been sharing with him and hopefully, he'll dip into his wallet and order some stuff for himself after having been introduced to these new artists.

What's really interesting and, I think, really exciting is that his son (who is 15) has been curious about what his Dad's been playing and has pilfered a lot of the disks for his own listening pleasure.  I think getting youngsters at that age, when they're first learning to appreciate music, interested in Prog is vital.  Audiences seem to be composed mainly of blokes, and mainly of blokes my age and older.  We need some spotty young boys (no offence) to be poring over artwork and lyrics and learning to love progressive rock just as I did when I ( and I'm sure many of you) was 15, and I'm still here 30 years later.

prog is coming back i was doing a recording session for a blues band at college today, and the guitarist suddenly starts playing those classic first notes from Rush's The Spirit of Radio, then the bassist and drummer joined in, i was the only one who knew what was going on and everyone looked at me like i was a freak when i suddenly jumped up and went "BEGIN THE DAY WITH A FRIENDLY VOICE..." haha that was the best morning i have ever had!  
Makntak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 09:10
Clearly there is a substantial world market for Prog but I suspect most of us are in our bedrooms, living rooms etc listening on our own with no-one to talk to about the music we like.  It seems that places lie PA and the many other Prog forums are the only place to vent the feelings inspired by the music we love.

I live in London and I know not one single person who has any interest in Prog, in fact the question I get asked most after I tell people what kind of music I like is, "Prog?! What's that?"  I teach at a drama school and I often use music in my sessions and I often choose something proggy, depending on my purposes.  What's really interesting is the way that the students' ears prick up with genuine interest in what I've been playing them.  I've got one guy into Ayreon (well one album, anyway) and I've been burning some stuff for another guy who, like me, is in his forties but hasn't listened to anything since 1979, it would seem.  He's hugely excited by a lot of the stuff I've been sharing with him and hopefully, he'll dip into his wallet and order some stuff for himself after having been introduced to these new artists.

What's really interesting and, I think, really exciting is that his son (who is 15) has been curious about what his Dad's been playing and has pilfered a lot of the disks for his own listening pleasure.  I think getting youngsters at that age, when they're first learning to appreciate music, interested in Prog is vital.  Audiences seem to be composed mainly of blokes, and mainly of blokes my age and older.  We need some spotty young boys (no offence) to be poring over artwork and lyrics and learning to love progressive rock just as I did when I ( and I'm sure many of you) was 15, and I'm still here 30 years later.

Whoever Controls Your Eyeballs Rules The World
petrica View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 04:08
Totally agree with you. I was in the same situation during the '90. Heard about Rush, DT, Queensryche but only later discovered KC and Yes and the others. For this I'm grateful to this site and to the reviewers.
In my country, Romania, I have only two friends interested in prog music. The others around me simply they don't care.
cyclysm748 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 02:03
I have met a few prog people, mainly prog metal type people.  I actually saw someone wearing a symphony x shirt and had to go talk to him.  Other than that, I've met some Dream Theater fans, which is about as prog as most people go.  I do know a lot of people who seem to think in a proggy sort of way and are always looking for cool new things that they have never heard.  I am trying to plant the prog seed in these people. We'll see if I eventually have more people to discuss this stuff with!
ferush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 18:42
Great poll; prog has a centre and one axis: innovative music only and don't matter where you are from. At 1962 the music changed with The Beatles arriving, they were and they are the first and the best, one of the greatest prog bands all time.

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 17:05
The difference was clear to me when I submitted a cd of mine to one of the musicians in White Willow. The reaction was honest and the details of the music which I had worked on composing for quite some time were spoke of highly. There was an understanding of dimensional measures between myself and this person. It was completely natural for musicians in Norway to understand your music and to even appreciate it. It was tough in the U.S. 
OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 03:03
I know a lot of people who like prog. The funny thing is, they are quite often somehow associated with classical music, or classical musicians themselves. On the other end of the scale, pop/rock fans seldom recognize prog at all.

Prog is a form of modern classical music, played with the methods of popular music, and previously also marketed and promoted by pop industry and media. Ideologically, it has less to do with pop music than Stravinsky or Coltrane.

JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 05:30
I think that that view of young people and Progressive music is right on the money. While a lot of young people here in the UK have heard OF Prog ,not many have actually HEARD Prog.

Usually I find that friends and acquaintances have really only heard the usual suspects (Tool, Dream Theater, Mastodon ect) because their beloved Kerrang once mentioned them. Unfortunately they refuse to admit that anything that doesn't sound like they think Prog should sound like (the kind of thing their dad would listen to -horror of horrors!), is connected to the Prog world at all. 

It is horrendously unfashionable amongst people my age to admit that they listen to anything older than about three years, because the whole band culture thing is all about image and who's fashionable now, rather than who's any good. There is a certain appreciation of classic rock, but never Prog. the fact that my ipod is even behind the idiot who brings his/her High School Musical Soundtrack/Jonas Brother's collection in the 'party playlist' gives an insight to what most people under 20 think.

I have also had the 'denial' conversation, where my friend completely refused to admit that Porcupine Tree was influenced by Prog in any way, supposedly because he had heard them on the radio....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>