Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe beatles vs the rolling stones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: which one do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
132 [84.62%]
24 [15.38%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: the beatles vs the rolling stones
    Posted: May 06 2012 at 05:07
The Stones
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 04:52
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

There have been tons of Beatles imitators that followed in their wakes. I could play you at least 20 songs where your first reaction might be, "Is that McCartney singing?" But who else sounds like the Stones? The New York Dolls, maybe...

Eh, practically every 'gritty' hard rock band, be they authentic or wannabe, is heavily influenced by Rolling Stones.  Starting with Aerosmith.  Yes, they may be a pale version of the Stones but so are most if not all Beatles imitators.  
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 03:42
Wow, no love for the Stones? Okay, the Beatles wrote the songbook. But who can listen to it fresh? Even as a pre-pubescent child, it already sounded worn. Yeah, I went through a Beatles phase at 13; it was over at about 14 or 15. It's great stuff, there's no denyin' it.

But The Stones, though. Wow. BEGGAR'S BANQUET, LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, EXILE ON MAIN STREET. Even at their lowest, they were still writing songs like "Fool to Cry" and "Angie." And just when you think they were over, out comes TATTOO YOU, SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE. (Admittedly, I stopped after those.) Listening to BEGGAR'S BANQUET is like listening to Robert Johnson or something. It's more than music, it's an attitude.

There have been tons of Beatles imitators that followed in their wakes. I could play you at least 20 songs where your first reaction might be, "Is that McCartney singing?" But who else sounds like the Stones? The New York Dolls, maybe...

The Beatles, in retrospect, were white bread. The Stones, though, were rock, blues, glam, punk, funk - a black band in Edgar suits (MiB, lol).
mongofa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 17:19
Quarry

Edited by mongofa - May 05 2012 at 17:19
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 16:53
By very very very very far The Beatles. I don't like so much The Stones. It's like comparing Genesis (Peter Gabriel days) to ABBA
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 07:27
I think the Stones might have benefitted more if they'd quit in their prime instead of becoming a sad reflection of their former selves.  They were a great band in their day, but now the name conjures up images of the cryptkeeper-like faces of Mick and Keef as they sleepwalk their way through another sloppy set of classic tunes accompanied by an every growing army of sidemen.
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 21:36
The Stones had a run of some absolutely great albums (Beggar's Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Get Your Ya-Ya's Out, Exile on Main Street), but their catalog is riddled with less than stellar releases as well. In context with the era, The Beatles were uniformly brilliant. You have to feel a little sad for the Stones, though. Throughout the 60s they were always in The Beatles' shadow. Then The Beatles quit, and what happens? Along comes Led Zeppelin.LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 21:19
Personally, I find this funny because there is no question, nor has there ever been for me, that the Beatles are far better than the stones. LOL
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 14:21
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

^Me neither.
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Beatles every time for me.

All of the above.
The-Winkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 13:56
They both switched places in my favour over the years....at the moment its The Beatles and tbh i can't ever see that changing again
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 13:38
^Me neither.
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Beatles every time for me.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - May 03 2012 at 13:39
Hober Mallow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 11:04
Never really liked the stones

“When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life.” John Kennedy Toole
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 05:51

The Stones so easily. Don't like Britpop Wink
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 18:58
Beatles by far but i love the Stones too Wink
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 16:01
Yes it was true that in their early days Jagger hoped "people don't think we're a rock group. We're a blues band." Back then rock had just come out of it's "whitened" (diluted popular integrity perception is my understanding of the term) and the last thing Brian Jones' band wanted was to be... seen as musically Caucasian. Tres horrible nes't pas!

Of course prog rock has non-Caucasian authenticity as it's cultural heriitage.LOL Bach 'n' roll...
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 09:30
Hehehe. Bugger off Mick, you old ponce!

Seriously, great respect and admiration for both. For the most part, the Bea'les (that's Cockney ) seemed to draw from various genres of music while the Stones seemed to work within the confines of R & B.

Edited by hobocamp - August 20 2011 at 11:37
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 06:52
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

The thing is that a style of music is all about the audience / listener. And progressive listeners should at least try to be progressive (move outside of the match box) in their thinking.

That is right but as we well know, prog in itself has become a style and a fashion for at least those who track the scene.  A truly progressive outlook is to be able to recognize that intrigue can reside in any combination, any format, be it a seemingly radio-ready pop song or a challenging instrumental suite. But I concede it is an idealistic position.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 06:44
Ah but we know prog related listeners have these problems. They are here and tell us. But out in the so-called real world the formatted pop rock song (pretty much defined by the Beatles) has ensured the format (and established perception of how any popular song should be.

The thing is that a style of music is all about the audience / listener. And progressive listeners should at least try to be progressive (move outside of the match box) in their thinking.

Progressive equals not conservative. The blues is a great form of music as is rock in opposition (in so far as that IS a style... more of a variety of approaches.

Speaking of conservative, ever read any of Geoff Downes'  Yes site forum postings as he reacted to the shall we ay, "conservative" opinons of the new Yes opus? Which I think is great btw. I feel for GD. He put in so much work to have it summarily dismissed.

Which is another problem. Music is taken so much for granted. It is associated with the word disposable. This "idea" should be dispensed with henceforthdly!

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 06:17
^^^ But, in fact it is generally either prog oriented listeners who seem to have trouble accepting Beatles or RS's place in rock music (because they, wrongly, believe it lacks progressive qualities, particularly in case of Beatles) or metal listeners who don't find it heavy enough.  I don't mean ALL prog or metal listeners obviously, but the ones who disdain these bands are generally from either category because general rock/pop audiences love at least one of the two if not both bands.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 06:09
Maybe the trouble with some perceptions of The Beatles and The Stones is that expsoure to tunes stultifies understanding / enjoyment of music beyond verse chorus vocal formats. Once someone needs a voice to tell them where the themes begin and end (and god help anyone) playing more than an 8 bar bridge!) then said listener may find something progressive and cannot handle it. (Prog piecehas now become awful). Unless that is, you are already a prog-type fan and enjoy The Beatles and / or The Stones (as well) and can think outside the shoebox.

It's the constraints of tunes that creates a lowest common denominator effect. Good for marketing - not so good for expression.

IMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>