Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why does prog metal dominate the last 10-15 years?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy does prog metal dominate the last 10-15 years?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does prog metal dominate the last 10-15 years?
    Posted: October 05 2011 at 15:11
Let's look what will happen 10-15 years later. Smile I'm afraid metal will sound dated, like plastic sound of the 80's now.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 11:03
Because the last 10-15 years were really metal.
PinkFloydrulez View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 04:43
circles opening up to circles opening up to circles. over generations most of the progressive minded musicians ended up migrating to different genres because of growing up on and being influenced by new types of music.
http://www.last.fm/user/PinkFloydrulez
http://rateyourmusic.com/~pfr_77
Guls View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 12:37
I think it's down to two things,

Metal is very popular. It's never really been the next big thing, despite periods of big mainstream infiltration - pop metal like Poison and Europe in the '80s, Nu-Metal like Limp Ballsack in the '90s. It's (or certainly was) a common 'jumping off genre' for kids who perceived it as slightly seedy and rebellious. Even in a climate where the 'shock' image of Slipknot or Manson are considered mainstream, kids are still perversely attracted to it.

Virtuosity has always been held in high esteem, even when other (more) popular rock forms were going back to basics  - Nirvana, White Stripes, Oasis. Most notably, extreme metal has always cherished diversity and virtuosity, and it's mostly the influence of extreme metal - Thrash, Doom, Black, Speed, Death, Sludge, Grindcore etc. - that has filtered down to cross-pollinate more 'progressive' forms of rock. Think Dillinger Escape Plan, Between The Buried And Me, Mesuggah, Sunn0))), Mastodon, Opeth right down to bands that aren't metal but take it's influence on board like (sadly defunct) Oceansize, PTree, Riverside.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 12:36
It's because everyone now days is either very angry or very lame. 
BenMech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 15:36
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Metal being the (much) less popular and less accessible genre than rock, the common conception that prog metal is more accessible than prog rock may need some hard evidence. Pick a random person on the street, do you really think he will show more interest in prog metal such as Ayreon's Flight of the Migrator, than in prog rock such as Ayreon's The Dream Sequencer? He'll like Dream Theater's "Home" more than Porcupine Tree's "Lazarus"? I doubt it.

Random person on the street will tell you they don't want to hear it. It's weird. That's just the fact of life. Doesn't matter what you play.ten times as much in our hiphop/dance/Country/urban era. Rock in itself in any form is unpopular.

Quote I offer a new point of view. Prog metal is mostly loved by experienced progheads, more so than prog rock. A new listener typically gets into lighter stuff like Dredg and Neal Morse before he moves Into the Everflowing metal territory and embrace Riverside, Agalloch and Tool.

What a flawed argument that was. Yeah I know. It goes against our instinct and it's not even true in my own case -- I got into prog metal first -- but maybe more discussion will spark some insight and light a way to the future rise of prog.

There's no "future rise." We're at saturation point. Some bands will become defunct as others form.
BenMech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 15:30
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Well it's no longer the 1970's for one reason LOLLOL

All music changes, progresses, if I may Tongue at least it should.

Us youngins still love the classics, KC is one of my all time favorite bands and have produced more great work than most others I can think of.
But it was time to move on.

Also, adding metal to progressive rock does give it another dynamic. Just more variation and stuff you can do.

This is the correct answer.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 12:35

A new listener typically gets into lighter stuff like Dredg and Neal Morse before he moves Into the Everflowing metal territory and embrace Riverside, Agalloch and Tool.

I embrace neither unconditionally and go for Radiohead instead.  No kidding, my first experience of prog was of the old prog and after that, I couldn't quite come to terms with all the technical bling of prog metal whereas in a band like Radiohead, there is at least evidence of the more embracing, holistic approach that characterizes my favourite prog rock bands.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 09:32

Metal being the (much) less popular
really? well maybe, depends how broad you define rock.
and less accessible genre than rock,
really? Is Iron Maiden less or more accessible then Kings of Leon? That just depends where you're coming from.
the common conception that prog metal is more accessible than prog rock
really? common where? here at PA? For me, Dream Theater is far less accessible then King Crimson. The reason is I don't digest cheese well.
may need some hard evidence.
it sure does

I offer a new point of view. Prog metal is mostly loved by experienced progheads, more so than prog rock.
really?
A new listener typically gets into lighter stuff like Dredg and Neal Morse before he moves Into the Everflowing metal territory and embrace Riverside, Agalloch and Tool.
really? I think I largely skipped Dredg and don't even want to go near Morse

Joking aside, I'm a bit puzzled where you based these assumption on...
Well ok, maybe I'm a statistical anomaly.
Oliverum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 08:38

Metal being the (much) less popular and less accessible genre than rock, the common conception that prog metal is more accessible than prog rock may need some hard evidence.

To be honest, I don't really know where the truth lies on this. But most of pop/soft rock/alt rock lovers I know aren't really that open-minded about changing their listening habits for something more sophisticated. Maybe they have become too comfortable with hearing only radio-friendly soundscapes? Maybe there is enough pleasant music around for them to never get tired of this? Maybe mellow-sounding prog alternatives just don't stand out among all the music? (prog bands are simply less commercially successful). Maybe metal is the easiest genre to discover prog because if one learns to embrace technicality, he starts to think about the process of how this music is really made, and, due to that, starts to appreciate and enjoy prog (as well as classical music or jazz, for that matter) more?

Just throwing out some ideas here, there is no way to conclusively prove them though.
All the best freaks are here, please stop staring at me. Marillion - Freaks (1988).
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 08:04
Metal being the (much) less popular and less accessible genre than rock, the common conception that prog metal is more accessible than prog rock may need some hard evidence. Pick a random person on the street, do you really think he will show more interest in prog metal such as Ayreon's Flight of the Migrator, than in prog rock such as Ayreon's The Dream Sequencer? He'll like Dream Theater's "Home" more than Porcupine Tree's "Lazarus"? I doubt it.

I offer a new point of view. Prog metal is mostly loved by experienced progheads, more so than prog rock. A new listener typically gets into lighter stuff like Dredg and Neal Morse before he moves Into the Everflowing metal territory and embrace Riverside, Agalloch and Tool.

What a flawed argument that was. Yeah I know. It goes against our instinct and it's not even true in my own case -- I got into prog metal first -- but maybe more discussion will spark some insight and light a way to the future rise of prog.
purplesnake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2011 at 23:40
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by purplesnake purplesnake wrote:

The thing is, "popular" music, which is controlled mainly by media, has generally been music with low levels of talent. At our time, its basically eternal sh*t, its just based on image and how good their hair looks, and the only music part of it is "can this person sing". I think we all understand and agree on this.

Nope, music was never good.
Quote Metal is generally easier to explain as more complicated music, because of the faster playing, and so people can explain themselves more. And they feel belonged in a group that is relatively large. With Progressive Rock, its harder to communicate the intelligence.

How does complexity equate to intelligence?
What's more intelligent, someone singing over 4 chords played over and over again (not complicated) or an emotional masterpiece filled with harmonies and melodies that interact with each other (complicated).
Quote The outside listener must really understand music.

Nope.
It seems like you've absolutely misunderstood what I meant. I meant that in normal prog rock, the outside listener must really understand music. In metal its easier for people to relate. so you get lots of people who arent even that musically intelligent but lean towards progressive metal because they are like OMG I WANT TO PLAY SO FAST.

Edited by purplesnake - August 29 2011 at 23:44
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2011 at 21:05
 hair bands have always been more popular with the flotsam and jetsam that make up the masses. 
Dancing Lemming View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2011 at 07:28
Ugh, I'm not a prog metal fan, and I despise most metal, unless it's something really slow and extreme, like drone that concentrates more on riff than solo. I've always had a Sabbath/Blue Cheer/Melvins attitude, where I prefer slowness to speed.

The reason I stray away from metal though, is that it tends to go towards a "I'm heavier/can do a longer solo than you" approach, and forgets about all other aspects of the music.
jav1919 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 23:49
Well, I don't think of PT as metal. And I don't even see the bad thing here, prog metal is fine Tongue
Oliverum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 17:45
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

I'd point out too that some of these albums and groups listed under 'prog metal' aren't really metal.

Haken, Porcupine Tree, and others.

I believe Haken and Porcupine tree are listed under heavy prog...
All the best freaks are here, please stop staring at me. Marillion - Freaks (1988).
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 16:28

Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

I'd point out too that some of these albums and groups listed under 'prog metal' aren't really metal.

Don't mistake me, I'm in no way, shape, or form a 'genre nazi' but just because a group has loud distorted guitar on occasion does not make them metal.

Porcupine Tree being a case in point. Maybe my favorite band right now.  I would never call them metal, and I've been a big metal-head since the late '70s.

indeed... rawk. but not sabbathy
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 13:00

Don't mistake me, I'm in no way, shape, or form a 'genre nazi' but just because a group has loud distorted guitar on occasion does not make them metal.

Porcupine Tree being a case in point. Maybe my favorite band right now.  I would never call them metal, and I've been a big metal-head since the late '70s.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 09:55
^ Interesting point certainly. It should also been borne in mind that even run of the mill orchestral classical players are at a level of virtuosity far in advance of that of most chopmeisters in rawk - (and they need to be to tackle the contemporary repertoire)
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 09:53

The question is why. Why has metal become so prevalent during the last 10-15 years?
Maybe it's because those of us in the first wave of prog fans are beginning to die off?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>