Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEloy Discovery Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eloy Discovery Zone
    Posted: January 03 2018 at 17:22
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

Just started to buy into Eloy earlier this year. Really impressive band.Thumbs Up

I've spun 'em for a few years now, and they really do grow on you. My faves always fluctuate.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 13:33
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I just spun Performance not long ago - aside from Surrender, the album is superb. Has been pretty awesome since I discovered it nearly 30 years ago !!! Planets is spectacular though

That reminded me that recently I was sorting through one of my boxes of 45's and I found a silver coloured vinyl single of 'Heartbeat' B/W 'Fools' which I had completely forgotten that I had! 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 09:52
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I've a friend who's also an Eloy fan, but he won't order it because he says he's only buying vinyl now. 

the 'Reincarnation on stage' lp was initially CD /CD-DVD only then released as fantastic triple vinyl, triple gatefold sleeve in a limited edition which I think sold out pretty quickly so I hope/ suspect that eventually they will put it out on vinyl.. maybe when part 2 is released??? I'd suggest contacting them directly through their online shop and asking..

He did pick up Reincarnation On Stage for the DVD!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 02:57
Mystereeouz monolif...yew hyde dah troof...

Cool

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 09:29
The debut (with the dust-bin lid) is pretty cool, heavy Prog. Then the run from Inside, through to Metromania is impeccable. What a consistent band, never put out a dud until Codename: Wildgeese. What a fantastic run.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 09:24
Eloy is awesome, I've always loved their sound. They have a string of albums that are all equally impressive IMHO!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 09:15
I just spun Performance not long ago - aside from Surrender, the album is superb. Has been pretty awesome since I discovered it nearly 30 years ago !!! Planets is spectacular though
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 07:14
Just started to buy into Eloy earlier this year. Really impressive band.Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 14:47
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I've a friend who's also an Eloy fan, but he won't order it because he says he's only buying vinyl now. 

the 'Reincarnation on stage' lp was initially CD /CD-DVD only then released as fantastic triple vinyl, triple gatefold sleeve in a limited edition which I think sold out pretty quickly so I hope/ suspect that eventually they will put it out on vinyl.. maybe when part 2 is released??? I'd suggest contacting them directly through their online shop and asking..

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 14:32
My introduction to the band Eloy was through a superb compilation CD titled Chronicles I. My friend also provided me CD copies of their major albums, and I look forward to the day I can do my own compilation from them. Nothing to sneer at, and any comparison to 'Floyd is not particularly deserved.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 13:36
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 10:25
Ce bon vieux Eloy!

A highly enjoyable 4 stars for The Vision part 1.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 19:59
^ good news. My copy should arrive next week.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 17:43
After having listened to it several times, I must say...I love it! This is prime Eloy. Frank Bornemann has done it again! 

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 13:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

The album is a rockopera. So it has to be seen in a different light.

Eloy made spacey and mythological conceptalbums like Planets/Time to Turn, Ocean/Ocean II, Dawn etc.

But this is much more in the vein of War of the Worlds. There's no spacey concept to this. It's a historical story and should be considered as such.

As a rockopera it works quite right. I don't really like rockoperas though, I'm more a fan of the spacey concepts of Eloy.
But the music on the new album is very good, the production is really warm and up front. The vocals of Frank are really nice, if you compare it to his singer colleagues of the same age (Ian Anderson, Fish, Justin Hayward, John Lees, etc.)

There are great synthsolos, guitarsolos, lots of dynamics, great bassparts, nice timesignatures changes, very tight drumming, etc.
So on the surface there is really nothing wrong to this album.

By the way: this is not the first time, that Eloy uses narrative parts (Atlantis' Agony has spoken parts, and on Ra there's a female voice that narrates).
Also the parts that are recycled are from the same concept; Jeanne d'Arc was already the subject of two songs; on Destination and on Tides Return Forever, so in that light, it's more of a reprise.

Savatage did exactly the same when the reprised When the Crowds are Gone on Streets.
Also Mike Oldfield, Dream Theatre, Rush, Saga and millions more recycled old ideas and concepts in new albums, or divided concepts into several albums.
So, I don't really understand that that would be a good argument for a 1* rating. A 1* rating would mean that absolutely nothing on this album resembles progrock or Eloy. And that's so far from the truth.

I don't know if this album is a 5* album, because I'd rather hear a Ocean III, I really am a sucker for spacey themes. But this albums is at least a 4* star album. The production and calmness of the songs is something that a lot of bands can take an example from.
Eloy manages to pull the listener into the story, and that's really something.

Yep they have wandered into Kayak territory (Kayak have done 3 such things)
My main criticism is that you are stuck with the narrative and cannot push a button to remove it . Kayak had this option on the DVD of Merlin Bard Of The Unseen , a smart idea imo.

I realise though that Eloy have used narrative before on Ocean and Power and The Passion but I much prefer it when they stopped doing it and concentrated on the music. Colours, Planets and TTT are definitely where it's at for me.

fully agree
mitarai_panda View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 06:19
I read the lyrics, and now think that dialogue is very interesting, especially Chinon and Les Tourelles, very narrative < placeholder="&#36755;&#20837;&#35201;&#32763;&#35793;&#30340;&#21477;&#23376;&#25110;&#21333;&#35789;"> < value="">自动判断 < value="zh">中文< value="zh-CN">中文(简体)< value="zh-HK">中文(香港)< value="zh-TW">中文(繁体)< value="en">英语< value="ja">日语< value="ko">朝鲜语< value="de">德语< value="fr">法语< value="ru">俄语< value="th">泰语< value="af">南非语< value="ar">阿拉伯语< value="az">阿塞拜疆语< value="be">比利时语< value="bg">保加利亚语< value="ca">加泰隆语< value="cs">捷克语< value="cy">威尔士语< value="da">丹麦语< value="dv">第维埃语< value="el">希腊语< value="eo">世界语< value="es">西班牙语< value="et">爱沙尼亚语< value="eu">巴士克语< value="fa">法斯语< value="fi">芬兰语< value="fo">法罗语< value="gl">加里西亚语< value="gu">古吉拉特语< value="he">希伯来语< value="hi">印地语< value="hr">克罗地亚语< value="hu">匈牙利语< value="hy">亚美尼亚语< value="id">印度尼西亚语< value="is">冰岛语< value="it">意大利语< value="ka">格鲁吉亚语< value="kk">哈萨克语< value="kn">卡纳拉语< value="kok">孔卡尼语< value="ky">吉尔吉斯语< value="lt">立陶宛语< value="lv">拉脱维亚语< value="mi">毛利语< value="mk">马其顿语< value="mn">蒙古语< value="mr">马拉地语< value="ms">马来语< value="mt">马耳他语< value="nb">挪威语(伯克梅尔)< value="nl">荷兰语< value="ns">北梭托语< value="pa">旁遮普语< value="pl">波兰语< value="pt">葡萄牙语< value="qu">克丘亚语< value="ro">罗马尼亚语< value="sa">梵文< value="se">北萨摩斯语< value="sk">斯洛伐克语< value="sl">斯洛文尼亚语< value="sq">阿尔巴尼亚语< value="sv">瑞典语< value="sw">斯瓦希里语< value="syr">叙利亚语< value="ta">泰米尔语< value="te">泰卢固语< value="tl">塔加路语< value="tn">茨瓦纳语< value="tr">土耳其语< value="ts">宗加语< value="tt">鞑靼语< value="uk">乌克兰语< value="ur">乌都语< value="uz">乌兹别克语< value="vi">越南语< value="xh">班图语< value="zu">祖鲁语 < value="">自动选择 < value="zh">中文< value="zh-CN">中文(简体)< value="zh-HK">中文(香港)< value="zh-TW">中文(繁体)< value="en">英语< value="ja">日语< value="ko">朝鲜语< value="de">德语< value="fr">法语< value="ru">俄语< value="th">泰语< value="af">南非语< value="ar">阿拉伯语< value="az">阿塞拜疆语< value="be">比利时语< value="bg">保加利亚语< value="ca">加泰隆语< value="cs">捷克语< value="cy">威尔士语< value="da">丹麦语< value="dv">第维埃语< value="el">希腊语< value="eo">世界语< value="es">西班牙语< value="et">爱沙尼亚语< value="eu">巴士克语< value="fa">法斯语< value="fi">芬兰语< value="fo">法罗语< value="gl">加里西亚语< value="gu">古吉拉特语< value="he">希伯来语< value="hi">印地语< value="hr">克罗地亚语< value="hu">匈牙利语< value="hy">亚美尼亚语< value="id">印度尼西亚语< value="is">冰岛语< value="it">意大利语< value="ka">格鲁吉亚语< value="kk">哈萨克语< value="kn">卡纳拉语< value="kok">孔卡尼语< value="ky">吉尔吉斯语< value="lt">立陶宛语< value="lv">拉脱维亚语< value="mi">毛利语< value="mk">马其顿语< value="mn">蒙古语< value="mr">马拉地语< value="ms">马来语< value="mt">马耳他语< value="nb">挪威语(伯克梅尔)< value="nl">荷兰语< value="ns">北梭托语< value="pa">旁遮普语< value="pl">波兰语< value="pt">葡萄牙语< value="qu">克丘亚语< value="ro">罗马尼亚语< value="sa">梵文< value="se">北萨摩斯语< value="sk">斯洛伐克语< value="sl">斯洛文尼亚语< value="sq">阿尔巴尼亚语< value="sv">瑞典语< value="sw">斯瓦希里语< value="syr">叙利亚语< value="ta">泰米尔语< value="te">泰卢固语< value="tl">塔加路语< value="tn">茨瓦纳语< value="tr">土耳其语< value="ts">宗加语< value="tt">鞑靼语< value="uk">乌克兰语< value="ur">乌都语< value="uz">乌兹别克语< value="vi">越南语< value="xh">班图语< value="zu">祖鲁语 < value="YouDao">有道翻译 < value="BaiDu">百度翻译 < value="Bing">必应翻译 < value="Google">谷歌翻译 < value="GoogleCN">谷歌翻译(国内) 翻译 朗读 复制 正在查询,请稍候…… 重试 朗读 复制 复制 朗读 复制 via
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 15:35
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

The album is a rockopera. So it has to be seen in a different light.

Eloy made spacey and mythological conceptalbums like Planets/Time to Turn, Ocean/Ocean II, Dawn etc.

But this is much more in the vein of War of the Worlds. There's no spacey concept to this. It's a historical story and should be considered as such.

As a rockopera it works quite right. I don't really like rockoperas though, I'm more a fan of the spacey concepts of Eloy.
But the music on the new album is very good, the production is really warm and up front. The vocals of Frank are really nice, if you compare it to his singer colleagues of the same age (Ian Anderson, Fish, Justin Hayward, John Lees, etc.)

There are great synthsolos, guitarsolos, lots of dynamics, great bassparts, nice timesignatures changes, very tight drumming, etc.
So on the surface there is really nothing wrong to this album.

By the way: this is not the first time, that Eloy uses narrative parts (Atlantis' Agony has spoken parts, and on Ra there's a female voice that narrates).
Also the parts that are recycled are from the same concept; Jeanne d'Arc was already the subject of two songs; on Destination and on Tides Return Forever, so in that light, it's more of a reprise.

Savatage did exactly the same when the reprised When the Crowds are Gone on Streets.
Also Mike Oldfield, Dream Theatre, Rush, Saga and millions more recycled old ideas and concepts in new albums, or divided concepts into several albums.
So, I don't really understand that that would be a good argument for a 1* rating. A 1* rating would mean that absolutely nothing on this album resembles progrock or Eloy. And that's so far from the truth.

I don't know if this album is a 5* album, because I'd rather hear a Ocean III, I really am a sucker for spacey themes. But this albums is at least a 4* star album. The production and calmness of the songs is something that a lot of bands can take an example from.
Eloy manages to pull the listener into the story, and that's really something.

Yep they have wandered into Kayak territory (Kayak have done 3 such things)
My main criticism is that you are stuck with the narrative and cannot push a button to remove it . Kayak had this option on the DVD of Merlin Bard Of The Unseen , a smart idea imo.

I realise though that Eloy have used narrative before on Ocean and Power and The Passion but I much prefer it when they stopped doing it and concentrated on the music. Colours, Planets and TTT are definitely where it's at for me.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 13:16
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Another listen to Reincarnation on Stage last night. Wow! One of the best live album I own, every Eloy fan need that one. 5 very bright stars!

It really is excellent- on vinyl its spread across 6 sides and I just listen from start to finish and there's no filler at all IMO; superbly played, sang, recorded and produced. There are very, very few live lps ive ever listened to in entirety so many times in a row. On the strength of that lp I am very keen to see them again if they play in Europe!

Absolument.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 12:20

Another listen to Reincarnation on Stage last night. Wow! One of the best live album I own, every Eloy fan need that one. 5 very bright stars!

It really is excellent- on vinyl its spread across 6 sides and I just listen from start to finish and there's no filler at all IMO; superbly played, sang, recorded and produced. There are very, very few live lps ive ever listened to in entirety so many times in a row. On the strength of that lp I am very keen to see them again if they play in Europe!

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 20:29

I'll have to check that one out then for sure! They're a band that I'm really getting into atm. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>